Transmission - Valve Body

More threads by Star


Maitland Nsw

I was reading a few threads done a few years ago on 450 SEL 6.9 transmission valve bodies, and the question back then was does a standard 450 sel valve body work on a 6.9?
As last reported, I have transmission issues & my mechanic and I are going through the process of elimination.
If anyone in the TK forum knows the answer, I’d appreciate an up date



The Godfather
Hi Starman, whilst my responsive is probably no longer of any real value to you at this point of time, nevertheless it deserves an answer. There are four members of the 722.000 transmission family applicable to the 116 range. 90% of items are interchangeable, whilst the other 10% including the valve bodies, have only slight variations. There is a good chance that the 450 valve body can be interchanged, it is only the proper workshop manual that will illustrate the differences.
From my own observations over the years, valve bodies will give no troubles. Some mechanics (very well qualified) will not touch a valve body when rebuilding the transmission, but will merely soak them in petrol and pressure blow them with compressed air. Main problems with gearboxes relate to clutch lip seals, and friction plates. If you see this post, you may be able to fill us in with how you got on. Regards Styria

sean sherry

Yes Styria, only need to open a Valve Body if there is metal Filings from a Hard Part failure.
Then a major clean and polish of the Bores and Valves necessary, plus a check for warpage.
Later Electronic Controlled Transmissions can have a lot of Valve Body issues as the valves are on "Duty Cycle" and wear out the Bores... Boring Sleeve Kits are available from the USA to repair them.

sean sherry

Also........ I cut open all Torque Converters if the Transmission had metal filings.
All others I cleaned out with a Homemade Flusher. First drained by drilling an 1/8 th hole in the bottom and then welding up. Flushing the Heat Exchanger in the bottom of the Radiator was a waste of time. To many pockets for a filing to hide, would find its way to the Govenor Valve being flushed through by new Oil. A separate aftermarket Cooler solved this problem.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Mercedes 6.9 Transmission Modulator Valve Mechanicals 6
abl567 Wanted T350 Transmission Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 4
S Transmission Kick Down Articles 1
S Transmission Mercedes W116 1
B 10-Speed Transmission Websites and Links 3
S drain plug Transmission Mechanicals 5
R 450SE harsh transmission shifts Mercedes W116 15
motec 6.9 722.300 Transmission Manuel Mechanicals 41
300SDude Transmission Question Mechanicals 3
Oversize 6.9 Transmission Upgrade Mercedes W116 76
MercedesMike 6.9 Transmission Pump Mechanicals 8
WGB Automatic Transmission Manual Part 1 Technical Information 1
abl567 6.3 Transmission removal Mercedes W108 and W109 0
Michel V8 Mercedes Engine and Transmission complete Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 0
TJ 450 6.9 Transmission Rebuild Mechanicals 4
J transmission swap Mechanicals 0
abl567 6.3 Transmission howl Mechanicals 15
A '73 450SE - vacuum line to transmission modulator? Mercedes W116 7
s class W140 driveline/transmission issues Mercedes W124, W201, W140 and R129 7
Michel Complete Engine And Transmission in Victoria Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 4
M Mercedes 6.9 suspension valve Technical Information 2
Patrick_R Variable valve duration technology Technical Information 3
S Turbo Boost Valve Technical Information 10
Oversize Valve Sizes Technical Information 4
D Noise from valve train - 6.9 Mechanicals 0
Oversize Custom throttle and SLS valve linkages Mechanicals 1
Styria Valve Body - Ch.116 6.9 Technical Information 4
S valve stem seals 110 DOHC 6 Mercedes R/C107 4
S aux air valve Mercedes R/C107 3
S Aux air valve Mercedes R/C107 3
L Front Suspension Valve Parts Mechanicals 28
motec 6.9 SLS Valve on ebay UK Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 1
Oversize 6.9 control valve for sale Gumtree/eBay/Facebook Listings 3
S aux air valve Mercedes R/C107 6
WGB LH Sway Bar chassis mount and levelling valve in RHD 6.9 Technical Information 2
Tony66_au Aux Air Valve refurb ( AAV ) Technical Information 12
T valve stem guide seals Mercedes R/C107 5
Styria Valve Body Removal Technical Information 2
Styria 6.9 front suspension valve replacement Mercedes W116 12
A Auto tranny modulator valve Mercedes W116 7
Styria Removal - 6.9 rear suspension valve Mechanicals 0
G Any trick to replacing heater valve? Mercedes W116 5
WGB Valve spring compressors M100 and M116/7 motors. Mechanicals 7
abl567 Blocked TX Valve Mechanicals 9
WGB Initial setting of hydraulic valve train Mechanicals 0
G Valve stem seals on M110 2.8 Mechanicals 2
s class How NOT to correct your 6.9 valve timing Mechanicals 4
Styria Valve Grind & De-coke on 6.9 Mercedes W116 90
s class 6.9 valve timing sorted out Mechanicals 36
J Aux Air Valve Mechanicals 2

Similar threads