Valve Body - Ch.116 6.9

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
For those "Do It Yourselfers", full dismantling and assembly procedures for the valve bodies applicable to Auto Transmissions. The process is not one for the faint hearted, and most shops will only ever soak the complete assembly in Petrol and blow dry as best as possible with compressed air. Also, be very, very careful in dismantling the sideways valving components - there is preciously little information available should you get components mixed up.

This PDF document is from a genuine MB workshop manual bought on ebay many years ago. It is a MB publication and credit is extended to the Company. Regards Styria

Attachments

• Valve Body - Ch. 116 6.9.pdf
    422.4 KB · Views: 15

sean sherry

Master
Hopefully the original illustration is much much clearer. If an Auto box has metal in the pan, there is no escape . A complete strip , plus the cooler tube in the radiator, which needs a special flushing machine to dislodge any stubborn particles. Then it's fingers crossed that nothing has been missed.
Ask me how I know !.........Sean

P.s. If anyone needs help with the D. G. Borg Warner Boxes fitted to the early Mercs, call me , :)40 years ago I could repair them in my sleep.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, the originals are obviously much better. Honestly, until you pointed it out, I wasn't aware of the somewhat pure quality.

I don't know if it is the programme within my printer, or if that is all I can expect at the best of times. I guess one can consider it as a starting point. Your knowledge regarding the DG boxes is "Gold" - of course, as you know, there are not many 300s (fifties) abound in quantity, and I have only ever heard of one owner running into trouble with a Reconditioner. That was a few years ago. BTW, how do you get on for parts for those boxes ? Furthermore Sean, to what degree do you consider the four speed Auto boxes (mainly '60s) to be similar to the DG units. I get the impression that Mercedes copied them to some degree. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
For those "Do It Yourselfers", full dismantling and assembly procedures for the valve bodies applicable to Auto Transmissions. The process is not one for the faint hearted, and most shops will only ever soak the complete assembly in Petrol and blow dry as best as possible with compressed air. Also, be very, very careful in dismantling the sideways valving components - there is preciously little information available should you get components mixed up.

This PDF document is from a genuine MB workshop manual bought on ebay many years ago. It is a MB publication and credit is extended to the Company. Regards Styria

I've dismantled and reassembled hundreds of these valve bodies. I might make a video the next time I have to do one.

Edit: Hundreds of this valve body family. 280/350/450and 6.9

Last edited:

sean sherry

Master
I'm not very knowledge of Mercedes Autos, but the D.G. was essentially a two speed unit with 3rd gear being provided by a clutch inside the convertor and giving a direct drive. The torque Convertor per say being bypassed. So for their day they were as efficient as a manual once into top gear. The most troublesome item was the clutch plate in the convertor, it glassed up like hard brake linings. I used to cut them open to replace the plate and hand weld them to gather again. I had a steady hand back then ! The volume user was Jaguar, plus Humbers , Rovers, MK 11 Ford Zephers etc.......Sean