6.9 Transmission Pump

More threads by MercedesMike

MercedesMike

So my mechanic was doing his annual once-over of my 6.9 now that it is summer here in Chicago. My belts were squeaking and he discovered that the pump that apparently circulates transmission fluid through a cooler in the radiator has locked up. In doing some light research through this forum and others, this appears to be yet another expensive item to replace. Some questions:

- Anyone had a similar experience and what was your remedy?
- Can someone provide me the part number for this? I believe it starts with 11627000...

Any thoughts on whether I should replace it, route the belts around it, remove it completely would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi MercedesMike, you're correct as far as replacement cost of this pump is concerned, especially in OZ country. Now, I have never heard of the pump seizing up, although I know of two instances where the pulley became detached on interstate trips, and obviously never to be found again. It is my understanding that the pulley cannot be bought separately.

Regarding seizing - it's difficult to believe that this could happen but, if it has, I tend to think that the fate of the pump is 'terminal' - in other words, kaputt. The pump can be dismantled easily enough, and one should be able to purchase the replacement 'O' ring that seals the cover from the main body of the pump. To dispose of the pump is not quite straight forward - quite a number of plumbing changes have to be implemented, but right now I am not able to give you the exact details. It also needs to be remembered that there are some internal changes between the US gearbox and the "EURO" box, and basically you would have to adapt the "EURO" plumbing. Euroboxes do not have this external pump, but merely a simple adjustment pulley for the Air Compressor belt. With your car, the pump performs the two functions, i.e. adjustment of the Compressor belt and pumping the transmission oil through the syste.

If you run into trouble, just let me know. I have a replacement unit on hand. Regards Styria

OP
MercedesMike

MercedesMike

I've been in contact with Tom Hanson at the MB Classics Center in California. Not even he has a replacement unit on hand (btw the part number is 1162700097). I would be interested if you have one in hand and what you'd be willing to sell it to me for. Perhaps send me a private msg and we can discuss offline.

Oversize

Grand Master
I would've thought anyone who can rebuild a power steering pump should b able to fix one of these. I agree it'd b very rare one would seize as the ATF should keep the bearings lubricated. I'd make sure none of the pipes, hoses, or the cooler isn't blocked....

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, there are no bearings in the pump - it is a simple twin gear arrangement as in a normal transmission pump. For the pump to seize, chances are that the bush (part of one of the gears) has nipped up, or alternatively the side of the gears have worked a groove into main body of the pump.

It is difficult to visualize as to how the pump could have seized. but of course stranger things can happen. MercedesMike - will be in touch with you. Regards Styria

OP
MercedesMike

MercedesMike

I will get a more detailed story from my mechanic today regarding how the pump has 'siezed up.' Unfortunately I'm out of town this week so can't take a close look.

Look forward to connecting with you Styria.

Styria

The Godfather
I would've thought anyone who can rebuild a power steering pump should b able to fix one of these. I agree it'd b very rare one would seize as the ATF should keep the bearings lubricated. I'd make sure none of the pipes, hoses, or the cooler isn't blocked....

Hi Mark, I need to apologize for an error on my part. In reply to your post, I indicated that there is no bearing in the pump assembly. In fact, there is one that can in fact be replaced, albeit with some difficulty. It had been a long time since I had pulled one apart. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
No worries Styria, I've never had one of these apart & took an educated guess that they have bearings inside!! :D I still maintain they could be repaired by a competent PS overhauler, as it's highly likely to be far cheaper than a replacement.