drain plug Transmission

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Recent service on a 300E resulted in two issues. First the drain plug fitting inside the Transmission Pan was raised not allowing a complete drain of the oil ???????
Second we could not stop the drain plug from leaking when refitted.. no gasket or seal. was not leaking before ????
Posts on the Net suggest that this is a known problem.??????

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Sean, I am not familiar with draining oil from the automatic transmission on your car. However, can I suggest that you use a good quality thread sealant to stop the leakage ?

Incidentally, I am presently considering to have the Auto tyrannies on Cappie (Captiva) serviced. Nowhere in the maintenance schedule is there any reference to serving that Automatic, and I think it is time now to have this service carried out. Sean, you may know - I believe the Auto is of Aisin (?) manufacture - it is a five speed with gear holds achieved by crossing the lever to the other gate. There are no problems, but do you have an opinion of some sort ? Regards. Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Recent service on a 300E resulted in two issues. First the drain plug fitting inside the Transmission Pan was raised not allowing a complete drain of the oil ???????
Second we could not stop the drain plug from leaking when refitted.. no gasket or seal. was not leaking before ????
Posts on the Net suggest that this is a known problem.??????

What year model Sean ?

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
It is a 1997 300 E. I only supervised the job and showed the owner how to adjust the Modulator to fix the 2/3 Flare. I was puzzled by the fitting for the drain plug sitting proud inside the oil Pan. The oil could not be completely drained. Maybe it is a form of a level plug ??
Owner has a venear of knowledge which is not very thick!
Now he tells me he oil is plastered all over the transmission and the exhaust.
Checking the level, it is way over full. An offer to suck some of it out was refused.
Lead a horse to water ......

P.s. Styria it is the same guy with the ratty Rover suffering from total neglect. He blamed the Car ! All his five cars are the same, neglected.

Helmet

Connoisseur
When doing a transmission service you should drain the pan, remove the pan and change the filter. Obviously removing the pan will drain the oil ? The drain plug has a copper washer (you can use alloy washer). Now as most of the transmission fluid is in the torque converter this must be drained as well. The drain plug has a copper washer.
Still not sure what model you are working on , never seen a 1997 300e :)

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
A seniors moment Helmet , it's an '87 300. New Filter and oil. But i sill don't understand the drain plug fitting standing proud in the Pan allowing only a partial oil drain via the drain plug. Not a problem just curious.
Sean

P.S. the flare is fixed.