Water in boot and reconnecting drain pipe

More threads by -bb-

-bb-

Noble
I have noticed recently that every time I washed the car or it rained moderately heavy, I would get an inch or so of water in the right side well of the boot.

Thinking about it today, I convinced myself that it could only be getting in through the drain hole under the fuel filler. So, tonight I pulled the carpet panel out and there was the drain pipe disconnected from the fitting.

Now my issue is how the #### do I reconnect the thing?

I have poked, prodded, pulled, pushed, sworn and I simply cant get the bloody pipe to reach. It's clear from looking at the connection how far it fit over the fitting in the past, but it's not even close now. The pipe does not look like it has been cut or anything... so what am I missing?

Here is a picture showing how close it gets:

1000894yt3.jpg

Last edited:

TJ 450

That hose is probably pushed too far into the grommet at the other end. You should just be able to pull it to get some extra length.

Tim

Styria

The Godfather
Hi bb, as Tim suggests, try and pull the rubber hose upwards so that you can re-connect it to the metal spout. However, I suspect that it may be a little too short on account of shrinkage and you may well find that you'll have to buy a new one. I will have a look to see if I have some spare to help you out. Regards Styria

Lukas

Hi bb,

Had similar issues with the blue 6.9 - I took the hose (which was splitting and too short) to AutoPro, and they gave me a length of radiator hose or something to use as a replacement, for $4 or such. Tricky part is finding hose that has a large enough ID to fit over the metal pipe in your photo, and small enough OD to fit through the hole in the boot floor.

Lukas

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
The bottom end of the pipe is in as far as it will go. That was the first thing I tried ;)

I thought there might have been some trick that I was not aware of, but I suppose shrinkage is a good explanation to the hose coming off in the first place.

Might take a trip to Bunnings or somewhere and see what hoses or other fancy fittings they have.

Thanks for the offer, Styria. I'll let you know if I need the part.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I thought any hose of the same size would do :confused:

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Ok, so after a trip to my local rip off hardware store (Bunnings), I came away with a small bit of hose they sell as a joiner and two hose clamps. Used them to connect the hose back to the fitting, but it isnt a completely watertight solution; a small trickle of water still goes into the boot. It will do till I can get a replacement piece of hose next week.

I cant believe bloody Bunnings don't sell hose by the meter. If I wanted some hose the same size, I had to buy a whole role.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Ok, so after a trip to my local rip off hardware store (Bunnings), I came away with a small bit of hose they sell as a joiner and two hose clamps. Used them to connect the hose back to the fitting, but it isnt a completely watertight solution; a small trickle of water still goes into the boot. It will do till I can get a replacement piece of hose next week.

I cant believe bloody Bunnings don't sell hose by the meter. If I wanted some hose the same size, I had to buy a whole role.

Try an automotive spare part shop

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
Yeah, plan to do that but wont get a chance till next week... or maybe super cheap or repco open on Sunday...