6.3 Transmission howl

More threads by abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
#2723 has developed a howl from the tranny that increases with engine revs, this has started after I topped up the ATF a few days ago on a really hot day. The trans was up to temp when I topped it up, having driven about 20 miles prior to filling to the top mark.
The next day the trans dripped, no, poured oil out on the way to work. A quick look underneath revieled a constant thin stream of ATF running from the front of the trans.
I shut it down and added about 500ml of ATF and the leak stopped, just like that, but the noise started.
The service manual troubleshooting suggests the primary pump as the source of a howl increasing with revs.
Any thoughts and advice Gents

TJ 450

I would say that it has actually been over-filled and the excess fluid has been ejected out the breather at the top of the bellhousing. Could the noise be the fluid aerating, I think that's probable?

Tim

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
The noise is similar to cavitating fluid, I'll drain all the fluid from the tranny and fluid coupling and refill it to spec and see it that helps.

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
It would be worth a check anyway, not only for the fluid level but also in case there is any shrapnel.

Bill

My reasoning also Bill, wish me luck:(

Styria

The Godfather
hi abl567, tricky one and I have been scratching the computer between the ears, albeit not with a lot of success.

Obviously, overfilling is a 'no, no' as it will cause the oil to foam and bubble and probably create airlocks in the system. I don't think you'd do much damage in a short period of time. Go with the flow, change oil and filter, even drain oil from fluid coupling and start all over again. Also make sure that you have sufficient fluid in the power steering reservoir.

Sometimes, if you're short of oil in that reservoir, the steering system can 'howl' in sympathy with the revving of the engine. Worth a check. Regards Styria

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
It pays to lift the bonnet when trying to diagnose noises...
The "transmission" howl turns out to be the fan clutch:eek:

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
I even have a spare:)

Styria

The Godfather
In case anyone doesn't know, that's what is known as good luck. Mind you, and I am not being derogatory, you have to ask yourself why it took abl567 that long to spot the problem - don't you think ? :D Regards Styria

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
In case anyone doesn't know, that's what is known as good luck. Mind you, and I am not being derogatory, you have to ask yourself why it took abl567 that long to spot the problem - don't you think ? :D Regards Styria

Styria, I was simply adding content to the forum, I was aware of the fan issue from the start:rolleyes:

Styria

The Godfather
Styria, I was simply adding content to the forum, I was aware of the fan issue from the start:rolleyes:

Well of course, how silly of me....a bit like the probs I have encounterd with Gleaming Beauty at the moment.......:D Regards Styria

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
It gets better, I degreased and pressure washed the engine bay on Saturday, went out on Sunday morning and the noise is gone:D
The fan now has the same minimal resistance when spun by hand as the spare on the 3.5.
I didn't even have to pick up a spanner:cool:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It gets better, I degreased and pressure washed the engine bay on Saturday, went out on Sunday morning and the noise is gone:D
The fan now has the same minimal resistance when spun by hand as the spare on the 3.5.
I didn't even have to pick up a spanner:cool:

Cleanliness is next to Godliness....:D