Great info , however the heading should read 722.300

abl567

Super Moderator
It is Helmet, did you miss read it;)

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Don't worry Helmut I kill transmissions . NOS does that though. If they tell me its unbreakable I prove it isn't . So interesting read for me . Geoff

Styria

The Godfather
Geoff, Helmet, abl567 - I am just not quite sure what to make of the information contained within the three threads. Am I correct in stating that the box(es) and parts listed are for the later models ? As far as I know, the Ch. 116 cars had gearbox numbers 722.001, 002, 003 and 722.004. The earlier boxes applicable to the Ch. 108, 109, 111, 112 and 113 cars used what, I think, was or is known, as the J-type gearbox. Can anyone clarify this for me ?

Geoff, I do have the workshop manuals for all of the above boxes that I have referred to, and it is my intention to convert the manuals into PDF documents at the earliest opportunity. I am just waiting for a specific category to be added to the homepage and then, of course, begins the task of the PDF conversions. Quite a lengthy process, but I will do it. In the meantime, if anyone wishes to add further to this subject matter, I would welcome such assistance. Regards Styria

N.B. I believe that S-Class had been seeking some info on the M100 site - does anyone know if he received the correct information ?

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Styria

The earlier box is known as the "E" type. It has the electric solenoid controlling working pressure.

Styria

The Godfather
Helmet, thanks for that. I don't know where I got the "J" type from - ah, brain fade. It is actually remarkable to look at these boxes (for both 107/116) and the earlier models, and their physical specifications and internal components, and whilst they differ in specifics, it is remarkable how many parts are interchangeable.

Also interesting to note that the 300 Adenauer boxes were actually Borg Warner DG boxes as in Jaguars, Humbers, Rovers and even the 1962 Lagonda Rapide with the Aston Martin 4 litre engine. Just to digress a little from the gearboxes, the 300 Adenauer front brake calipers were the same as was fitted to the Rover 3500 models, i.e. three caliper Girling pistons. It took me by total surprise when I discovered that a few years ago. Regards Styria

Helmet

Connoisseur
Helmet, thanks for that. I don't know where I got the "J" type from - ah, brain fade. It is actually remarkable to look at these boxes (for both 107/116) and the earlier models, and their physical specifications and internal components, and whilst they differ in specifics, it is remarkable how many parts are interchangeable.

Also interesting to note that the 300 Adenauer boxes were actually Borg Warner DG boxes as in Jaguars, Humbers, Rovers and even the 1962 Lagonda Rapide with the Aston Martin 4 litre engine. Just to digress a little from the gearboxes, the 300 Adenauer front brake calipers were the same as was fitted to the Rover 3500 models, i.e. three caliper Girling pistons. It took me by total surprise when I discovered that a few years ago. Regards Styria

Hi Styria ,

The Adenauer has drum brakes all round , the Girling brakes are on the w111 300SE coupes and sedans with air suspension

:)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Helmet, perhaps it is the latest version of the Adenauer 300s ? I will need to dig out the information that I saw a couple of years ago. Incidentally, they were three piston calipers, and NOT three caliper pistons. I am surprised you didn't pick me up on this .:)

Incidentally, I am a little surprised that the 300 Coupes had the three piston caliper set-up, but I certainly won't argue with you - mind you, it makes good sense seeing that the Mercedes and the Rover 3500 were both manufactured in the latter period of the sixties. Regards Styria

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria . Helmet is right the Adenauer only ever had drum brakes it in all the books and links on the net. It's the model after the Adenauer that had disc . The Heck . Geoff

Helmet

Connoisseur
Hi Styria . Helmet is right the Adenauer only ever had drum brakes it in all the books and links on the net. It's the model after the Adenauer that had disc . The Heck . Geoff

Yep :D , stuff like this I don't need to look up

sean sherry

Master
Hi Styria, If I can help with the Borg Warner Boxes in the 300s, let me know, I could rebuild these in my sleep. For instance their main problem was the clutch in the convertor and the odd sprag clutch for Reverse. This was Box problem not exclusivse to 300s........Sean

sean sherry

Master
P.S. The Mercedes Transmision sites are by far the best I've seen. Plain language ,not just a regurgation of a factory manual. Eg. set up the modulator pressure to suit the individual transmission by feel on the road,.. all being equal.... That is a good steady high vacumn at idle . I have found that with a unit with quite a few miles under it's belt that it is helpful to set the shift feel with a balance between modulator pressure and up shift points. This will often cure a 3-4 flare on light throttle, when cold.
:D .....Sean

Styria

The Godfather
Sean, WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ? Surely you can't be serious - Helmet, are you taking notice ? Sean, I really can't believe it, although obviously I don't doubt you.

I have several DG (Rover, Jaguar etc. ) BorgWarner boxes - the main problem, apart from complexity, is the perceived lack of spare parts. There used to be a guy at Guildford (his name escapes me), and he was supposed to be the guru. However, he sold out a number of years ago, due to ill health, but I never did business with him. His successor is not known to me. Obviously, nowadays demand for rebuilding these boxes is scant, UNTIL one needs to find someone with the skill, AND spares, to carry out the work. Maybe you can give us further details. BTW, is your knowledge limited to 300 Adenauer (DG) boxes ? How about later models, such as the 'E' type or 722.001/002/003/004 boxes ? Regards Styria

sean sherry

Master
Can't understand " Are you serious " also " I don't believe you "
Am I missing something here ? I spent 40 years running a sucessful Automatic Transmission shop employing 10 men and have rebuilt and repaired probably thousands of Automatics of all types. I thought I was trying to add something based on that. Correct me if I'm out of order and I will go away and sin no more...............:confused:...Sean

sean sherry

Master
P.S. DGs are not a complacated Box. They are a simple 2 speed unit with a total lock up convertor clutch for top gear. Parts are generally available from America or England when you know where to look. And:cool: also for Dyna Flows, Ultramatics, Hydramatics etc. etc.
( But not for Smith Electrics or Renault Feredex or other weird and wonderful nightmares. dump them and fit a B W 35)

OP
motec 6.9

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Sean its great to hear you can rebuild transmissions. But I was not aware of your experience as I cannot remember it coming up before. That was what I think Styria was trying to express. Any pointers would be appreciated. Geoff