Styria's 450se

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
If he buys the Red Terror then he would have one 6.9 he could drive and hopefully inspire him with the rest. I know buying mine has re-ignited my enthusiasm. :)

Geoff, who is HE ? If you are referring to me, unfortunately I am in no position to purchase the Red Terror. I tend to think I have enough work on my plate. If anything, I am trying to downsize. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay, please no more details regarding wishes, plans and hopes on anyone moving wherever. The thread relates to my 450SE and whilst I am obviously interested in members' future plans, I do ask that a separate thread be established that covers that subject. More than likely, if time permits, the posts relating to relocation will be accomodated in this newly established thread. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria it was a reference to Mark from earlier comments in the post. If he buys the Red Terror he might get his mojo back by having a road going 6.9 it worked for me. :D Now current pictures and any updates please on your 450SE and if selling what price are you thinking. :)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria I did keep returning to origins of post as the car does interest me. :)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Motec 6.9, thank you for clarifying "HE" as Mark. Mind you, I am not so sure that he would want more 6.9s, although it is obviously a matter for him. I can now understand your remark regarding your fresh enthusiasm since purchasing your "new" Milan Brown 6.9.

I have no problem if you raise matters in this thread regarding the 450SE. I have done very little in between times, but I will look at the various posts and photos to see what further information I can provide you with. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria your comment about selling your 450SE is the reason for my renewed interest. If you still have it after I move across I would be interested in looking at it as my next favourite W116 is this car .

Oversize

Grand Master
No way I'm buying another 6.9! My mojo loss has been the result of relationship issues which completely destabilized my foundations. But things are changing in the right direction now.

Styria's SE looks like a great car and I can understand what he means about a good home. If you can't enjoy them, then give someone else the opportunity, as long as they're deserving of the responsibilty

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I was thinking 450SE for nice drives because I can kind of car and 6.9 for special occasions or shows . And keeping something like hyundia as park it at the shops or work car. Really would not change the car as 6.9 is getting that . :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, this is a story of my 450SE still in my possession and really looking for a nice, new home. It looks as though a new fellow by the name of Scotty H. is looking for someone like you - so Scotty, have a real good look through these posts, and this may just be the car for you. You can even PM me, or better still, ring me on my mobile 0428 50 1800, Regards Styuria

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I hadn't seen this thread as it pre-dates my time on the forum - looks nice a nice car that has had a lot of important work like the timing chain done. The gold is very period.

Nice car.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I hadn't seen this thread as it pre-dates my time on the forum - looks nice a nice car that has had a lot of important work like the timing chain done. The gold is very period.

Nice car.

That is one nice car that the Godfather has spent many hours fixing what needs to be fixed.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Unfortunately, to some degree, a problem has cropped up. Nevertheless, it is still a good car, reasonably priced with heaps of potential to a caring owner. Naturally, I would like to sell the car complete, basically cutting my losses, but I would be prepared to sell parts on an individual basis.

I have removed the right rocker (tappet) cover, and there is no evidence of any damage to chain, camshaft or rockers. I have not yet determined the exact problem, but I would imagine that removal of heads etc. would eventually turn this engine into a real cracker. For information, please see my other thread. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Styria did you ever hear from the new owner what the problem was? It was a curious one.

And is the new owner going to join the forum?

I didn't know the Godfather sold the gold 450SE 🙄

Oversize

Grand Master
Damn shame since I'm now on the slow hunt for a decent 450SE! Did any of them have a sunroof, headlight wipers, or rear headrests?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, headlight wipers were a standard fitting only on the 6.9s, but I would guess that they could have been optioned on some of the other 116 variants. Rear headrests only came standard on the SEL models, and it should be remembered that the upper section of the 6.9s was a flat serface as an extension of the rear parcel shelf. 280s and SE models had pleats extending right up to the parcel shelf.

I am not sure if Oversize would want to pay as much for the cars advertised and featured within this thread. The last one found by C107 certainly ticks a lot of boxes, especially the front and rear seats. However, contrast them with the door boards which are quite ordinary lookin, even the rears. Something just doesn't add up correctly. Regards. Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, whatever happened to my 450SE - yes I did sell it to a guy that lives not far from me. He already had a 450SEL and the idea was for him to dispose of his car as rust was a significant issue. Unfortunately, his purchase of my car did not work out particularly well.

As can be seen from the photographs, I carried out a significant amount of both body and mechanical restoration and, to all intents and purposes, it should have been a good car. I experienced some issues with the engine, and entrusted an unknown to me mechanic to investigate what the problem was likely to be. He had the car for six months, and I have no idea what work he carried out. He eventually advised that he could only turn the engine a certain distance either way, so obviously something seriously had gone wrong with it. I never had that particular problem, therefore further serious investigation became necessary.

Anyhow, he decided to honour his commitment to buy (well, he had already paid for the car - a very reasonable price), and entrusted another mechanic of his choosing to tackle whatever issue prevalent, and eventually (after some two months) removal of the heads revealed a very badly rusted cylinder bore on No. 2 or 3 on the left hand block, ostensibly beyond saving. The last I knew was that he was going to purchase a replacement second hand engine. Unfortunately, from my viewpoint, this transaction turned out to be unsatisfactory for all concerned. Last I knew was that the SEL was still parked outside his home, with no trace of my 450SE. Regards. Styria