Why buy a Mercedes

More threads by Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Three minutes into the video and I turned it off.

First of all his voice is annoying...
His whining got to me and his knocking off everything by Benz is tantamount to a lot of BS

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Sorry Styria to annoying to finish watching :eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Three minutes into the video and I turned it off.

First of all his voice is annoying...
His whining got to me and his knocking off everything by Benz is tantamount to a lot of BS

Agree, a bit hard to take. However, an element of truth ? Think back to a couple of Sean Sherry's and Benz Boy's posts, although the latter fared somewhat better with some of his servicing episodes. Regards Styria

I am glad that you liked Baccara better. :D

WiSeGuYY

here is my 5 cents input , there is very big influence in the us market against buying a Mercedes , they prefer a Japanese Lexus rather than Mercedes or BMW .
they prefer to support their car industry rather than promoting German cars specially Mercedes .

still resale of used Mercedes is slightly higher than other cars due to investing is technology .

despite all the adds in us market

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
here is my 5 cents input , there is very big influence in the us market against buying a Mercedes , they prefer a Japanese Lexus rather than Mercedes or BMW .
they prefer to support their car industry rather than promoting German cars specially Mercedes .

still resale of used Mercedes is slightly higher than other cars due to investing is technology .

despite all the adds in us market[/QUOTE

Tarek, I can be certain, but when I was in Europe in 2005 and 2008, I got the distinct impression that both Audi and BMW clearly seemed to be the more numerous on the road. I do believe that Mercedes have really put their house in order in the last five or so years and have become trustworthy and reliable cars. Who can ever forget the reliability surveys (in the States) of a few years ago - way down the list. On the other hand, as I have already stated a couple of times, my 420SEL is an absolute paragon of reliability. More than two years, not a single problem. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Mercedes Benz (as a company) has also priced its parts at ridiculously hi margins and thus scared anyone from contemplating restoring, let alone maintaning an 'old' Benz...

WiSeGuYY

my dear Godfather ,you have the w126 the best of them all .i drove mine for 25 years not single fail .

regards

Tarek

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Mercedes Benz (as a company) has also priced its parts at ridiculously hi margins and thus scared anyone from contemplating restoring, let alone maintaning an 'old' Benz...

.....exactly Michel, that's why you probably see hundreds for sale in the $3K. to $6K. region. They just don't hold their value. Mind you, you can include both Audi and BMW in that assessment - try and sell an Audi of, say 1990's vintage. I reckon you've got Buckleys getting a good price. Ditto BMW.

I remember when I had my 300SE Finnie - 1966 vintage. I gave it a valve grind and de-coke, and the headwork was done by Precision Engineering, then (1979) located in Wentworth Avenue in the City. They charged me $150.00 and when I had a bit of a whinge, the proprietor told me "try Audi, twice the price". I shut up after that. Incidentally, there had been a hairline crack in between two valve seats, and part of their job was to peen the area, using a very, very fast hammer action. Sorry about the long winded story. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
That guy is an idiot! Criticizing a non-gen diagnostic tool! No way I'd have him work on my car with his attitude and the way he drives.

He has a point on resale, but it seems clear the high price of factory parts and labor doesn't affect their new car sales. So why would they care? :mad::eek:

And if he thinks a Toyota is good then he's clearly an A to B person and not an enthusiast. There's everyday cars and then there's the classics.....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Buy a set of genuine front brake pads for a 200 series landcruiser go on I dare you. Toyota are in a league of there own in Asian car company parts prices .

Oversize

Grand Master
When I did own a Toyota I always thought there wasn't much difference between them and MB parts prices! Mind you their quality was way better than Ford or Holden....

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes not much difference at all. you will not get change from a thousand with front brakes being done at the dealer. Sent work 200 for brakes last year. :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Price-wise on parts, Toyota is considered the Mercedes Benz of Japan.. :eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes it was 1150 for front brakes at the dealer with 33000km on the car. :eek:

B13

I actually have a lot of time for Scotty Kilmer, his videos have helped me out for various small annoying problems for years.

While his personality comes across as a bit of a buffoon, you can see from the responses to gives to comments that he really is switched on.

Ever since this video came out I have shown it to anyone who has asked me if it's wise to buy a used MB... they ask me since I seem to have had a good run with them... these are people I know aren't car savvy and typically have not got the funds to upkeep an MB of any description, so this video does a great job of putting them off. Happy to say that not one of them has gone on to buy an MB. I don't want them annoying me for help or free repairs by me recommending they buy a car that couldn't possibly afford the upkeep. I just tell them when they make enough to lease them on a 3 year basis then go for it.

If any genuine car enthusiasts who I knew has the skill set as well as the means to survive the cheap-used-MB merry-go-round then I would recommend them as they are a very rewarding car to drive when everything is right about them.

Taking some of Scotty's advice, I was looking to upgrade my daily driver to a E430, E55, or C43 but have decided to change marques yet again, this time I'll buy a BF Falcon GT while it (and myself) is still young.

I.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Ian go for a GTP my younger brother has a Black 2007 BF11 . They have a lot more on them Brembo brakes and more heavily bolstered seats and based on Fairmont are quitter to travel in. Or find a Force8 BF :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I was a little disappointed with the shellacking that Kilmer got. To me he seems like a straight shooter, and I don't see a lot wrong with that. Michel made a remark regarding the ridiculously high price on parts for older Mercedes - so, try $800.00 ON THE CHEAP from Silver Star. Genuine a couple of hundred above that for the flexible driveshaft coupling, and that is scary. I am referring to a 6.3.

A few years ago, when I could see the writing on the wall, I bought all flexible couplings for the 6.9 from a. Sydney Wrecker. Admittedly, they are for the 450s, but there is not that much difference between those and the 6.9 units. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria I take it you are referring to the flex disk front and rear for the 6.9 . I had them done on my 6.9 last week while at Genie as a precaution due to strain while on the dyno. :)

abl567

Super Moderator
Last time I bought a 6.3 flex disk, about 3 or 4 years ago it was less than $300 complete with all hardware, from the classic centre