Why buy a Mercedes

More threads by Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Mine were just under $200 delivered from you know who for the pair. :D

Oversize

Grand Master
Prices are going down as we get wiser, time ticks by and the net makes access easier

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes I figured I would replace both flex disk due to work out car is getting as a precaution. I can get underneath and show shinny rubber disks in place but I figured that would not be of interest to people. :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Let's have some actual evidence of MB charges rather than speculation.
Yesterday I had the CLK 350 serviced by dealer.
A Service including replacing bonnet struts ($65 each genuine) = $591.70.
Service included:
Oil change and new filter/sump plug washer.
Check on brake pad thickness.
Interrogate Fault Memory.
Re-flash Computer.
Top-up washer fluid.
Adjust tyre pressure.
Test drive.
Wash car.
The most expensive part was 8 litres of Castrol 5W-30 Edge Pro Longlife III at $219 for 8 litres.
Total labour charge including fitting bonnet struts = $116.36.
It's not worth my time to do this - apart from which I don't have the equipment to interrogate the computer or re-flash it.
That is NOT expensive.
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Brian see my last post. Under 200 both flex disk delivered. As I said at beginning over 1000 for front brakes on 200 series landcruiser for work.:)

sean sherry

Master
Parts..... depends where you go...... F/Pads Daughter's Subaru $115 from Dealer........$50 from Repco ( they source from an o.e.m. supplier)
Old Merc Parts.....Car Companies are in the business of selling Cars not repairing them. That's why the Dealers don't want to know you if they can fob you off ! But if you insist $197 per hour . Life of cars ..probably five years....
All of them , Dealers don't want Mercs over five years old, they will trade them to sell a New Car , writing back the new car cost. Check the price of simular cars in the USA to see the mark up here. Maybe the positive is that Parts are available for old Mercs..... After 10 years G.M. cars are absolute and the Manufacturer does not support them. At least we do have a choice on what we spend our money on.

P.S.
Our C Class GLI has been trouble free for nearly a year now after three years of continual aggravation and many trips to the Main Dealer. To their credit they stuck to their responsibility and sorted issues even after the Warranty expired. Though the Failing Battery issues was not eventually sorted until I complained to Mercedes in Melbourne. The loudest squeak gets the most oil !

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I'll stick to my previously quoted price from Silver Star Spares. They further advised that they had not sold one for four years. Regarding Geoff and the units he bought, I wonder if in fact whether or not they are genuine 6.9 units. As I said, 450 units look the same and will fit, but the rubber appears to have different numbering details. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Styria they are genuine 6.9 units . I advised them that is what I had and gave chassis number. So far with this car they have beaten price from Classic centre every time. As I said must be strong Aussie dollar all parts have come from Germany. You know who I have been buying from in Canberra. They only sell genuine parts. :)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes very valid point. The problem I am having is every time I have said what I have paid recently for genuine parts from MbSpares Styria comments that they must not be genuine at the price I state I have paid , Is that because he paid more when aussie dollar was not as high and has a large inventory that owes his a lot more money. As stated most parts I have bought from them recently are ordered from Germany arrive in 2 to 3 weeks. And is currently cheaper than buying from the US. If that changes my buying habits may change. I just don't understand the questions. I have bought what is a very original car and intend to only use correct parts that I know will fit. That is why wheels bought were genuine AMG rims with correct offset . They fit no need to second guess. Which is what is happening to GM throttle having to make parts so it works. Like adaptor plate and a few fiddly parts. Will detail them when I get car on dyno and running in next day or so. :)

Oversize

Grand Master
It's because most are built so well and many other cars are rubbish! A 40YO Benz doesn't drive like an old car (or tractor), unlike other vehicles which feel very dated and underwhelming. And even though parts prices can be high-ish, at least you can buy most parts despite the age of the vehicle.

Like some other manufacturers the price of some parts just cannot be justified and their costs should be more transparent.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I have found the prices so far to be reasonable . Actually they have been cheaper than when I bought my old 6.9 in 2000 and used it over a 5 year period. Which I have found very surprising even enquiry's about air cells the price is less than back then. :) Unfortunately some parts that were available then are NLA now. :( Hopefully people like Styria can help like his rebuilt struts. :)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
How much is the Honda to service?
Regards,
Brian

Brian, grossly overpriced at $200.00. Mind you, NRMA Motorserve is no cheaper, but we prefer to patronize the Honda dealer at this stage as one should reasonably expect better resale value on a Honda Dealer serviced car.

Part of the service provides for tyre rotation. The service department takes photos of the car on arrival, but from hereon in I should take pics of the right rear wheel which was not touched at the last service. Should I politely ask them why they haven't rotated the wheels, and if not, have we been charged ? In fact, is it a good idea to rotate the tyres ? I think that the Honda has a 'get you home' spare wheel. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes Styria most new cars have space saver or can of goo. :eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Geoff, regarding spare parts prices that I may query at times. I don't think that anyone can tell the difference between a 450 flex disc and a genuine 6.9 unit. Frankly, I would be surprised if 6.9 units are still available, in ORIGINAL guise. As I pointed out, I have 450 units, and I can fit them. No one would ever know that they are not 6.9 units.

Contrary to your belief, I don't hold unsold stuff now, and never have. Nor have I ever been stung by parts pricing that I have not been able to amortize in some way. You know, if we are talking about genuine 6.9 versus alternatives, just take the Air Cells as an example. Nowadays, you only buy Ch. 126 units, according to MB part numbers front and rear. 6.9 units can no longer be bought. So, if I raise these matters with you, it is not a form of criticism directed towards you or any parts supplier, including MB Spares. I ask these questions simply to stay on course with situations and issues that concern me as a long time 6.9 owner. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
That's ok but parts bought so far have been the correct 6.9 parts. As you correctly stated there are parts that are NLA. We as owners will have to just deal with that. As for air cells 2 sellers over east claim to be able to supply red dot cells. :)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
That's ok but parts bought so far have been the correct 6.9 parts. As you correctly stated there are parts that are NLA. We as owners will have to just deal with that. As for air cells 2 sellers over east claim to be able to supply red dot cells. :)

Geoff, even the 126 cells are 'Red Dot' cells - it does not make them genuine 6.9. 6.9 units had a satisfactory working life of at least ten years (I know from personal experience) whilst the units you purchase nowadays are not likely to take you past four years. Additionally, gradual deterioration is much more prevalent. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
yes that I am aware of. It seems to be the normal with parts today not that they are not designed for the task . But quality is not to the same standard. :(