6.9 head gasket - part No / where to buy

More threads by CraigS

CraigS

I suspect I have a stuck valve and/or leaking head gasket, so I will pull the head to have a look and check. Anyone have a source for new head gaskets ? Last ones I bought I got from Niemoller and they were cheaper than anyone in the US at the time, but I have lost the part number. Anyone have it handy ?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Craig, are Niemoellers still able to supply ? It is my understanding that Benz are stopping/have stopped after market suppliers from selling 'genuine' parts - a a Reitz gasket, is it genuine ?

I did have some made up locally with good results (a few years ago), althbough I am not sure if they complied with the correct thickness as per the genuine gasket. Sorry I don't have a part number, but they are in excess of $300.00 each from the States. Is it your white car ? If it is, that's less than ideal. Which head is involved - a "stuck" valve should be evident if you removed the rocker covers, but I am sure you know all that. Regards Styria

OP
CraigS

CraigS

I haven't checked with Niemoller as yet, but I suspect it is as you say, unless they have some old stock. All the valves look OK - none stuck, so it looks like it may be the gasket. This is on the red car. Finally getting around to looking at it. The white one is fine.

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Thank you kind Sir !

Looks like the best price I can find so far is US$439.30 for the set, including freight.

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Craig i still have the email price from MBSpares when i bought a full gasket set from them just over 2 years ago price was $186 for each head gasket PM your email and i can forward to you or you can phone them Murray on 1300 787 300

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Spoke to MB Spares. After initially quoting somewhere around the $630 mark, they revised the price to a "best we can do $585". Apparently there has been 3 price increases over the past year and this is the result.

abl567

Super Moderator
Classic Centre price was $284.00 on 17th Dec 2010, that was for a 6.3 and was for the set, not just the head gasket
100-010-09-21 left head gasket set 6.3 $284.00 1 week
100-010-10-21 right " $284.00 1 week

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Can you recall what was in the set ? I presume it was not exhaust gaskets. I hear they are also pretty pricey.

Anyone know what the torque settings are for the 6.9 head ? I want to check it before removing it.

abl567

Super Moderator
Can you recall what was in the set ? I presume it was not exhaust gaskets. I hear they are also pretty pricey.

Yes exhaust gaskets are included, as are inlet manifold gaskets, the crush rings for temp and oil pressure sensors, all associated coolant gaskets and o rings, even the gasket for the chain tensioner.
And those prices are list, if you are a member of the M-100 group there is a further 15% discount...

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Yes exhaust gaskets are included, as are inlet manifold gaskets, the crush rings for temp and oil pressure sensors, all associated coolant gaskets and o rings, even the gasket for the chain tensioner.

Sounds good. Will check the 6.9 prices with Tom

abl567

Super Moderator
Good try, but membership of any Mercedes club will also get you the discount !

Yes, but the M-100 group is dedicated to M-100 owners;)

You mean you haven't asked Tom for a price?

Styria

The Godfather
If I remember correctly, the gasket kits do not include the valve stem seals. Regards Styria

Craig, why not let abl567 procure the parts for you - his service is excellent. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars, being secure in the knowledge that the orders are being handled efficiently. Just my opinion. Regards Styria

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Anyone have the part number and/or photo of the special tool for removing the head bolts ?

abl567

Super Moderator
Anyone have the part number and/or photo of the special tool for removing the head bolts ?

Do you mean the 140mm long 10mm hex head socket?