Time to buy VW shares?

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Soon might be the time to buy shares in VW. Shares are down 40% and bearish - maybe they will fall further in the coming months but they will rise so I consider them a sound long-term investment.
Likewise, you might even pick up a free Diesel Golf....:eek:
Regards,
Brian

CraigS

If they survive, and I suspect it is a BIG if. The governments around the world will be issuing very large fines, and class actions by consumers will just about be enough the break the camel's back I think !

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I suspect they will survive. The major external shareholders (as opposed to internal ones such as the Porsche and Peich families) are the State of Lower Saxony and Quartar Holdings. We may see some break up of the company but when a major shareholder is a government then I think we can be assured of continuity. The VW Group contributes so much to the German economy that its continuation will be seen as vital to the national interest.
Having said that, it will be interesting to watch and such a shame that this duplicity was ever allowed.
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
Entirely plausible that the CEO did not know what was going on down the pecking order.
The top end needs to keep in touch with the people at the coal face to know what's going on. By passing the Yes men who surround them.
The rot starts at the Top. Self inflicted wounds.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The company will survive.
But we will see a purge of middle management and ANYONE involved, even remotely, with the emission tests falsification.
Some facts:

Volkswagen, which owns other top brands including Porsche, Audi and Lamborghini -- overtook Toyota as the world's top carmaker by sales in July, but that position is now at risk, say analysts.
Here are seven key facts that show what's at stake:
1. The Volkswagen group accounts for roughly one in 10 vehicles sold globally.
2. The auto industry is the largest industrial sector in Germany, contributing about 2.7% to gross domestic product.
3. Some 20% of Germany's exports are made up of vehicles and parts.
4. Domestic auto sales and exports were worth 368 billion euros in 2014.
5. Most German auto sales came from the Volkswagen group, which reported just over 202 billion euros in revenue in 2014.
6. Roughly 70% of Volkswagen vehicles are sold outside German borders.
7. Volkswagen employs nearly 600,000 people around the world, and more than a third of the 775,000 people who work in the auto industry in Germany.
But before you start worrying about the complete collapse of the German auto industry, it's worth repeating that -- at least for now -- the scandal is limited to Volkswagen. Other German automakers such as Daimler, which owns Mercedes-Benz, and BMW have said they're not affected.

Food for thought.

Styria

The Godfather
Plus, the greater share of the city of Wolfsburg populace are employed at the Volkswagen Werke. It is a scary thought, nevertheless. Mind you, it's not only Wolfsburg - think of Skoda and the Czech Republic, Brasil, Mexico, Spain - no, it will never be allowed to go under. Regards Styria

sean sherry

Master
:):)It's official The VW Group is dropping another drag on their Products. I.e., the troublesome Double Clutch Gear box , starting with the 2016 Audi A4. It has all been tried before with the same head aches. Smith Easy Drive , Renault Auto Clutch filled with Iron Filings and other brain fades.
As with a number of other Manufactures , they are switching to a proper ZF 8 Speed .
The VW auto manual box is a very complicated Manual with six or seven speed. The former has wet clutches and the latter has dry clutches. I choose the delightful six speed manual for my Golf, with the auto release electric parking brake.
Works a treat in light traffic and on hill starts,but best switched off in slow stop go traffic ,as with the stop/start engine feature.

Oversize

Grand Master
I think all self-regulating figures will now be questioned across all manufacturers. Now economy figures are in the spotlight. Clearly none of them can be trusted to tell the public the truth... Dont get caught out!!!

Styria

The Godfather
We are getting away a bit from where the thread started and, if that is so, in this instance let us ignore it. Sean, I have a 2007 Captiva (recently acquired) with a five speed Auto box which operates like any Auto when in Drive. It works well, and seems perfectly adequate handling just about all every day driving conditions.

However, there is also a feature that I have not come across previously. When the selector lever is moved across to the left of the gate, the car starts in first gear and one needs to keep on pushing the lever "UP" to select the next highest gear, and you can keep on doing this till one reaches top (5th) gear. It also works the reverse way, i.e. that is changing down. If I leave the lever across the gate, the box changes down automatically until, at full stop, I am once again ready to start off in first gear. Are you still with me ? From time to time, I prefer this manual selection process, as it provides me with greater throttle/speed related control.

Two questions - firstly, should I just leave the box in "normal" Auto operation when driving under every day driving conditions, and secondly, am I subjecting the box to undue stress or whatever by operating it manually ? I understand that this feature is called sequential operation and full throttle changes can be effected by utilising this feature. I might add that I do not utilise this practice or feature as I have too much respect for the car's mechanicals. Regards. Styria

N.B. Incidentally, you have basically re-affirmed reluctance to ever buy VW or Audi for that matter - or Citroen, Peugeot for that matter. I think that too many times the customer becomes the test or evaluation of product guinea pig. At one stage, and just recently, I looked at a Turbo 6 cyl. Peugeot Diesel Coupe, as well as a "Highline" VW Passat - both cars absolutely beautiful, especially the VW, but could you trust them to start next morning ? I am sure you know what I mean.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Semi-automatic gearboxes have been around since the middle of the last century. Nothing really new here.
Car manufacturers enhanced this feature by providing either steering wheel mounted paddle shifters or a modified shift lever for more convenient operation. Different car manufacturers have been using a variety of names for their semi-automatic transmissions, such as 'Tiptronic', 'Geartronic', 'Sporttronic', and others. But Tiptronic is registered to Porsche and is licensed by that company for usage by others.
The system works as follows: a clutch servo powered by the vacuum at the induction manifold operates the automatic clutch - a conventional clutch incorporating centrifugal operation. A switch in the gear lever operates a solenoid valve so that when the gear lever is moved, the clutch is disengaged. A control unit makes throttle adjustments to keep the engine speed matched to the driven clutch plate and also varies the speed of clutch operation appropriate to road speed.
My old Mitsubishi Magna has one, and so does my Red CLK430.
It is a very practical system that I use mainly to decelerate the car or when I am seriously in a hurry and thus I control the driving as a manual vehicle.

sean sherry

Master
There is no problem over riding any Auto Box Michael. As long as mechanical sympathy is applied.
A very comprehensive explanation Michel, of the later Autos. But different items to Twin Clutch Automatic Manuals. The servo clutch systems are relatively simple designs and the vacuum operated systems in a lot of the U. K. sourced Buses work well. The early Smith's Easy Drive were an automatic Manual operated by Solenoids. Not a great success story.
Whereas the various Twin Clutch operated Manual Boxes are very complex and not a perfect solution. Planetary Gears and a torque Convertor with a lockup Clutch is not dead yet. The current crop of Automatics with Duty Cycle Solenoids operating the valves for smooth shifting, are not perfect either , they prematurely wear out the Alloy Valve bodies. Particularly Audis $$$$$$
Hybrids ,such as the Toyota Prius are horribly Complex.

What problems will these new fangled all Electric Cars bring with them ?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
There is no problem over riding any Auto Box Michel.
What problems will these new fangled all Electric Cars bring with them ?

The new Tesla is direct drive... no gearbox!!!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thank you Professor.
I was planning to come anyway. 😊
We had a Tesla for a few days and were very impressed.
One of the very few cars that received a gold star in our reviews!😜

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Thank you Professor.
I was planning to come anyway. ��
We had a Tesla for a few days and were very impressed.
One of the very few cars that received a gold star in our reviews!��

Yes - I totally adore the Tesla. Swift, silent, comfortable and what the current Jaguar could have been .... "grace, pace and space..."
Regards,
Brian

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
And on a Flat bead tow truck. Saw a Red Tesla S ACT Rego Model S getting put on a flatbead on Monday Newcastle Street Fyshwick driver did not look to happy. My guess is he didn't charge it. :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
And on a Flat bead tow truck. Saw a Red Tesla S ACT Rego Model S getting put on a flatbead on Monday Newcastle Street Fyshwick driver did not look to happy. My guess is he didn't charge it. :eek:

You can't help stupidity😳

CraigS

Yes, one of my main concerns that people will forget to plug it in overnight. They need to come up with a wireless charging solution aka mobile phones.