Would you buy a 1997 C200?

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
An elderly lady friend of the family want to sell her Fairlane and buy a small Benz. She has been used to a Shadow/Benz Diesel combination in the past and the Fairlane is now too big for her.
She has found a 1997 C200 with low miles, good condition, fsh etc.
Nice car - but, were they susceptible to problems like computer failure etc?
Your advice is encouraged.
I won't be able to sleep nights if it turns out to be a lemon but it is interstate and I can't look at it.
Regards,
Brian

abl567

Super Moderator
I have purchased 2 W202 cars for my folks, a 1999 C240 bought as a ex MB company car from Marshalls in 2001 for my Dad and a 2000 C180 bought privately in 2008 for my Mother. The C240 (5 speed box) has had a auto box rebuild ($3300) at approx 120000k's and a harmonic balancer ($600) at about 160000k's. The C180 was a gem, 80000k's when bought and sold at 145000K's due to it being no longer needed, no problems at all were experienced during ownership and it would sip 7.5l/100km of 98 octane on a trip, both are refined solid cars and I would say a perfect car for a retired Lady. I have a laptop and the software/module to access the OB2 port and scan the car for errors, reset service intervals etc if required. Where is the car, good chance we can find someone to look at it.

450SE

We bought a 2000 W202 C200 Elegance on impulse just over a year ago. It is the greatest little thing since sliced bread.

The only minor thing we've had to replace is the boot hinge due to metal fatigue shearing the attachment point between the spring and hinge. This is a not uncommon issue.

MB did an update in 1997. The later models were pretty much free of bugs.
The trick (like all Benzes) is to find one with a detailed history.

The only real mechanical issue that I can think of which can arise from time to time is the windscreen wiper motor failing.

Styria

The Godfather
That's certainly ample testimony very much in favour of the car/model. I can't quite relate or identify these various latish chassis models, but the only criticism that I have heard levelled at the Mercedes range of that era (I think) related to the wiring loom(s) in the engine compartment of the six cylinder models. Other than that, I am clueless. :eek: Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Jerry (my workshop man) bought a one-owner (nice lady owner) C200 (1997) from Sydney in immaculate condition for his wife.
Low Ks for the age and log books throughout for $7000

He loves it...

Oversize

Grand Master
Hi BenzBoy, what suburb is the car located in? If it's not too far, I might be able to have a look and advise whether it's worth spending the money on a professional inspection.... Whilst they ain't no rocketship, they are well built & will last far more than any other if given a little TLC.