Steering Wheel protection

More threads by Oversize

Styria

The Godfather
Yes you can use Saddle Soap. Apply it liberally with a wet and very soapy cloth, keep on rubbing it in for a minute or two, and let dry. If you want to give it every chance initially, repeat the process. After it's dried to a whitish haze, wipe with soft, wet cloth and let dry for a couple of hours. After that, you can soft polish it with a rag, and maybe then get your mother's hand creame, put on liberally and leave overnight. Next day wipe clean and start driving the car. Repeat that process every once in a while, even if you only put on the handcreme. That's all I ever do - sometimes my hands get very dry, so I might use some Nivea Creme, and work the excess into the steering wheel.

I know it all works, and it costs no more than practically free dollars. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
and styria has the most beautiful hands you will ever see!!!!!
Except when he's been in the por 15. :eek:
Regards,
brian

hahahahahahahahaha :d

Styria

The Godfather
Well you nasty little creatures - my hands are beautiful Workers Hands, calouses and all, but the women have always commented upon them in the most favourable of terms....full of feel...full of....there you go. :D Regards Styria

N.B. ...it's not grease either - I thought I'd beat you little nasties to that one !

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Finally found the steering wheel thread and might try some of the suggestions.... I still don't know what they're made of, but I guess it doesn't matter if they look and feel good after the treatment.

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, with using any ordinary hand creme, or leather conditioner or whatever. Good results are not necessarily instant - it can take a number of applications to achieve improvement - say, every time you get into the car to drive it - put the creme on the palm of your hands and just work creme into the wheel from side to side. Also, leave cars in the sun to build up internal heat - every little bit helps, and the more often you do it, the better the results.

Say, start off by cleaning the wheel with Saddle Soap - use a wet sponge, and apply to wheel. Let dry and wipe off residue with soft cloth. Repeat the process a couple of times. You could then also apply Malco Leather Conditioner, leave car in the sun to build up internal heat, and then wipe off - say, the next day. It is only repeated applications that will achieve the results you are looking for.

Incidentally, the Malco Conditioner I buy for $42.00, large bottle, which is a reasonable price considering quantity. I could send a bottle down to you, if you like. I am hoping to build up some sort of distributor ship for of that Company's product, but I would have to buy quantity which I am not able to do at the moment. Regards styria

N.B. Just checked size of Conditioner bottle - 942 mil, almost a litre, so it is quite large, being the right size for all of them 6.9 gracing your premises !

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Not a good review so I'm beginning to think Leatherique is the wrong product for my wheel:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=421338
Leatherique steering wheel reapir system works only as well as the operator. It requires skill and the end result is limited by the lack of expertise of the operator - and that certainly looks to be the case in the example referred to.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
I have looked at a forum that deals with the Malco car care products, including the Leather Conditioner. Most reviews and comments are somewhat better than just 'favourable", and it would appear that many detailing shops are only too happy to use the Malco product. Regards. Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Geoff, just take note that the ebay item is Flash Wax. I did buy one bottle of this Wax about a week and a half ago, together with the 0.95 litre bottle of Leather Conditioner. For the devil of me, I cannot recall how much I paid for the two items .i.e. the Wax and the Leather dressing, but I kept on thinking at the time of purchase "that the stuff wasn't real cheap". I'll need to find the receipt to see how much I paid, but it was close enough to a hundred dollars (a bit either way), and the additional bottle of the leather solution I bought this week just gone worked out to about $42.00.

Okay, found the invoice - Flash Wax $53.35, Conditioner $42.35. Those prices included GST. So the stuff appears to be holding its value even on ebay. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes but $53.00 for a 1.89litre bottle of Flash wax is not a bad price. :D

Styria

The Godfather
Yes but $53.00 for a 1.89litre bottle of Flash wax is not a bad price. :D

Geoff, I believe that to be the retail price. I don't think I received any favourable treatment. Straight retail, I suspect. Regards. Styria

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Are you guys serious?? That is way not cheap for a car cleaning product! What a rip.... :mad:

BTW in case no-one noticed the W116 steering wheel is NOT leather! Sheesh! :rolleyes::confused:

Styria

The Godfather
Just as a matter of curiosity, I checked the price of Mothers leather conditioner or treatment. Not exactly 100 pr cent correct, but roughly about thirty dollars for 0.33 litres of their stuff at Supercheap. Compare with the Malco price of $45.00 (?) for 0.9 of a litre. God only knows what margin Supercheap are working on - with their buying power. Regards. Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
And Leatherique is $90 per litre but it's pure oil with no added fillers or water. It takes me about $10 worth to treat the interior of the SSII - that is about 12 hides, full seats/dash rolls/ door and pillar trims and roof lining, so in the end it is not expensive.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Looking at it from that perspective, even the Mothers product is cheap. However, then add the Glass Cleaner, the Bug Remover, the Clean Wipes, carpet shampoo, the cutting compound, the swirl remover, the lustrous shine enhancer, the paint sealant and probably some others Whose uses presently fail my memory, and if you buy the "the glossy fashionable brands", you can soon spend a very tidy sum of money. Regards. Styria