Old Tyres

More threads by c107

Styria

The Godfather
It can create a bit of a quandary. Some of you may remember that I fitted four original, NEW, cross ply tyres to one of my P5 3 litre Coupes. It remains to be seen how this pans out in the end. It does raise another issue though, and that is my 6.9 Gleaming Beauty. When I purchased some really super spiffy 18" Speedy rims, I also bought 6 Nankang tyres that have provided excellent handling and comfort and hardly show any signs of wear.

According to gospel, they are beyond use, yet I am reluctant to want to dispose of them. Any opinions as to what my next course of action should be, bearing in mind that GB is now on Club Plates and sees comparatively little use. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The cross-plys should be fitted on rims and used at shows only.
You arrive on normal modern and roadworthy tyres and then at the show you swap them so you can win your extra points.
And then you remove them before you leave ...
That is if you could be bothered 😳

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
It does raise another issue though, and that is my 6.9 Gleaming Beauty. When I purchased some really super spiffy 18" Speedy rims, I also bought 6 Nankang tyres that have provided excellent handling and comfort and hardly show any signs of wear.

According to gospel, they are beyond use, yet I am reluctant to want to dispose of them. Any opinions as to what my next course of action should be, bearing in mind that GB is now on Club Plates and sees comparatively little use. Regards Styria

If it was my car, if they were older than 10 years I would replace them. In my mind decent tyres are one of the most important safety aspects of any car. I normally wait for one of the deals where you buy 3 get 1 free.

Oversize

Grand Master
If they start getting noisy or losing grip under normal driving conditions it's time for replacement. And if you start seeing stress cracking in the sidewalls or in the tread grooves buy some new ones immediately.

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
another data point. Last couple of times I drove my 300SE in the rain I felt it sliding around. Looked at the tyres and the tyres are about 10 years old. Looks like I will need to replace them.

Styria

The Godfather
another data point. Last couple of times I drove my 300SE in the rain I felt it sliding around. Looked at the tyres and the tyres are about 10 years old. Looks like I will need to replace them.

......especially, seeing that your better half drives the car. No sorry, I take that back as I realize now that you are not talking about your wife's car. Bryce, with the 300SE, has the car turned out to your satisfaction ? I would imagine that you'd be up to the $6K. mark by now ?

The 450SE I sold has become a bit of a quandary - it went to a mechanic for six months and he managed to stuff things up. I am trying to help the new owner a bit, but this will take a bit of sorting out. Regards Styria

OP
c107

c107

and 111/116/124/126
......especially, seeing that your better half drives the car. No sorry, I take that back as I realize now that you are not talking about your wife's car. Bryce, with the 300SE, has the car turned out to your satisfaction ? I would imagine that you'd be up to the $6K. mark by now ?

The 450SE I sold has become a bit of a quandary - it went to a mechanic for six months and he managed to stuff things up. I am trying to help the new owner a bit, but this will take a bit of sorting out. Regards Styria

I've got new Michelins on my wife's E350. The 300SE is my runabout. Overall I am happy with it, although I ended up spending more like $8k. Still, with new head gasket, head checked, water pump and new A/C compressor should be good for a while. I'll probably go with new Khumos or something like that on the 300SE.

Glad to have an update on that 450SE. I hope it gets put back on the road and I am interested to learn what caused it to loose all compression on one side like that.