Chinese Tyres

More threads by John S

John S

I was trying to price tyres for my car on the internet (Google) and found it rather sparse in pricing, lots of links but then you are required to request a price from the outlet.

However, I did note that Chinese tyres are available in the size I require, having the same (or better) load rating, speed rating and wear index at about 1/2 ot 1/3 the price of Continentals, Michelin, Dunlop, Goodyear etc. Obviously the concern would be quality standards, such as out of round, weight distribution for balancing etc, but as someone said to me a lot of the big brand Manufacturers now have a range of their tyres made in China, plus China probably makes as many, or more, tyres than Europe now does.

Has anyone any knowledge of the quality of various Chinese brands that they would care to pass on?

Last edited:

Fotografa

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...res-on-sale-here/story-e6frg8zx-1111113903957

I wouldn't touch Chinese tyres if they were free.

I have grave doubts about quality control, or lack of it.

Japanese tyres are great, Toyo, Bridgestone etc.

Or for something not too expensive, but great quality, Kumhos are fantastic. Korean made.

I use Kumho's for track days and can't recommend them highly enough. Check out their website. http://www.kumho.com.au/

I get mine from a friend in Queensland, and even with shipping to Sydney they are cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

260ebenz

Master
Agree with Foto Toyo tyres are excellent have been using Toyo tyres for years.

My old 230E I had Toyo's fitted and when I bought my 260E two years ago I had 4 new Toyo Teo fitted $148 each a very good investment.

Do Michelin and Conti tyres still have the same quality as they use to are Michelin tyres still made in France or Asia and Conti tyres are made in Germany I believe?

Cheers.

260ebenz

Master
Just reading from the site link you posted BenzBoy wouldn't the test results be biased? the results shown are via the Continental site.

No disrespect to you at all BenzBoy just reading from the results of the tests carried out on the tyres Conti tyres are shown to have the best results yet the site is a Continential site.

Does sound biased to me?

I am glad I did not buy budget Chinese tyres as Toyo's are made in Japan.

Cheers.

Fotografa

Just reading from the site link you posted BenzBoy wouldn't the test results be biased? the results shown are via the Continental site.

No disrespect to you at all BenzBoy just reading from the results of the tests carried out on the tyres Conti tyres are shown to have the best results yet the site is a Continential site.

Does sound biased to me?

I am glad I did not buy budget Chinese tyres as Toyo's are made in Japan.

Cheers.

"The magazine conducted its own tests for wet handling and braking, dry handling and braking and aquaplaning, plus a more stringent high-speed test"

260ebenz

Master
Thank you Foto I did not read all of the text shown on the site my mistake!

It pays to read the finer details something I did not do when originally reading the results.

Sorry to BenzBoy.

Cheers.

BigGuy

Let me weigh in to this debate from another angle. We buy Chinese tyres for our trucks. Steer tyres and drive tyres, we also run them on the trailers. They are as good and in some cases better than the major european brands of TRUCK tyres. I have never had one blow out...never had one go out of round and they give good klms under harsh conditions. More to the point Pirelli TRUCK tyres come out of China. I wonder if there may be some corelation between the quality of truck and car tyres. Once again I'm speaking solely about my experience with TRUCK tyres. Regards, Boyd

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Big Guy, your findings, as everyone else's opinions, are much appreciated. I think each of us has a different story to tell - I myself with having been satisfied with the Nankangs I have previously purchased and had no adverse experience with in anyway. I also, at one stage, bought 'grey import' Chinese Good Year 15"ers, and they were quite up to all rigors of 6.9 service, both in wet and dry conditions. I did in fact sell those tyres to Bar (on the appropriate high quality Mercedes 15" rims) and I am quite sure that he had no problem with them - he may elaborate on this aspect in due course.

On the other hand, and although I don't completely agree with Fotografa in his condemnation of the "Chinese brand", I must acknowledge that I find the 16" Akira tyres presently fitted to our Statesman very, very marginal at best. Noisy, and displaying a constant slight harshness at any speed over 60 km/hour on smooth roads. They cost $115.00 each, so a compromise has to be accepted. I presume they are made in China. Incidentally, talking of China and our 'beloved' Mercedes quality and quality control, I wonder how many of you know that the crankshafts for the 600 V12 are 'Fabrique en China' - so where does that leave us ? Lots of tyres, and the recognized brands, are made all over Asia, so we don't have much of a choice in that regard. Referring to Fotografa's Kumhos, yep Porsche advertise them as original equipment on their new cars. So really it is a game of Rolulette. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I ordered 2 new Continental 4 x 4s this week from Spining Wheel Tyres and will have them fitted Monday.
How much? I did not even ask; I have been buying tyres from them since 1989 and they have always given me a good price and good advice so I can't see it changing...
Regards,
Benz-Boy

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Chinese tyres? Hmmmmmm....... As it happens, Daimler Benz has committed itself to maunfacturing the E Class in China. I suppose that Chinese built E Class's will have Chinese manufactured tyres as original equipment. I guess that it is entirely possible that they could be Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear or whatever, also manufactured in China.

Styria

The Godfather
;)..............well, that's putting the cat among the pigeons ? Regards Styria :D

TJ 450

Indeed Chinese manufactured products have a stigma, though remember that they are developing very rapidly.

I think it is becoming apparent that there are some high quality products being manufactured there, not just in the Automotive sector.

It is a worry though, as if China's economy collapses, where would we be?

Tim

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Having spent quite a time in China I am aware that they make both high quality and poor quality goods. The high quality ones are as expensive there as they are here.
Michelin and other make tyres in China to their specifications and I would have no issue with buying them. I would not buy cheap Chinese tyres.
Last year I bought a new Miele vacuum cleaner and it burst into flames the first time I used it - the retailer replaced it with a more expensive Miele made in Germany...and lamented the disasters they had experienced with the Chinese Miele.
Yes, if the Chinese economy were to collapse (unlikely but not impossible) we would be up the creek without a paddle...
Regards,
Benz-Boy

260ebenz

Master
I see Bob Jane T-Marts are advertising 195 15" Michelin tyres for $119 each would they be made in France or China and what would the quality of the tyres be like?

Cheers.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I see Bob Jane T-Marts are advertising 195 15" Michelin tyres for $119 each would they be made in France or China and what would the quality of the tyres be like?

Cheers.

Maybe ask them? I doubt if Michelin allows rubbish to bear their name so wherever they are made they will be OK.
I see they don't stock 235/70/15 or 6.00-6/50 x 20" so I can't get excited by BJs....:eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

260ebenz

Master
Details of the Michelin 195 $119 tyres.

Will contact Bob Jane and ask them if the Michelin tyres are French or Chinese made.

I do not need new tyres but I just saw the ad on telly and was impressed by the price of the Michelin tyres.

Cheers.

Michelin_EnergyXM1+.gif

Energy XM1+
VEHICLE/ TYRE CATEGORY
Passenger Tyre

FEATURES & BENEFITS
The Michelin Energy XM1+ contains innovative Energy Green X Silica compounds which reduce the amount of energy requied to push your car, saving fuel and the environment by reducing your cars emissions.

The Energy XM1+ delivers smooth, confident control at all speeds. With the second generation of Stress Equilibrium Construction (SECII) technology, a revolutionary network of internal wirings, ensures tyre stability. Flexible sidewalls provide vertical cushioning, ensuring premium comfort over all road surfaces.

Michelin Energy XM1+. Experience safety and control, whatever the weather.

SIZES
14", 15", 16"

(display all diameters)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi BenzBoy, there are Michelins, and there are Michelins. There are cheap versions, and some not so cheap. There was a series coded XM (I think) and they were made in Thailand. I understand they weren't particularly good, nor did they last particularly well. Again, one simply does not know what's right, and what not so.

A guy I spoke to just yesterday turned up in a 4cylinder 2.7 liter Toyota HiLux which somewhat surprised me as I had previously seen him driving the V6 version of the Hi Lux, manufactured in Thailand - I am sure you know the hugely overgrown model, invariably twin cab with a smallish ute tray. Enquiring as to why he was driving the earlier model, and not the V6, he ventured the opinion that he just didn't like the Thai version. 'Well, why not" I asked, and "what was wrong it" ? "Well, I did not like it - I think it was just rubbish, nowhere near as good as the 4 cylinder", presumably made in, what, Japan ? I thought his observation was interesting. Regards Styria

N.B. Well, I hadn't seen the tail end of the previous post. There you go - practice vs. advert blurb.

260ebenz

Master
Styria I wonder if the Michelin Energy XM1+ are made in Thailand?

I have contacted Bob Jane will wait for a response I asked them if Michelin tyres are made in France or China.

Cheers.