Nitrogen in tyres

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I've always thought that using nitrogen in tyres was a con and not worth the effort. I have to change my mind. MB now recommends nitrogen and I had new tyres fitted to the CLK 4 months ago. Using an electronic gauge which is accurate to 0.25 lbs/sq/in to measure, the tyres are now the same pressure as when fitted. I guess the nitrogen may have some benefits after all.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
JAX tyres did use nitrogen when they fitted the Conti's on the Yaris that was a few years ago.

JAX also did the same thing when I had the Michelin's fitted and they told me they put 34PSI in each tyre.

34PSI would be a bit too much air in the tyres surely?

Front tyre for my car should be 32PSI and for the rear 28PSI.

Double check the Owners Manual to be sure.

Nitrogen air in the Michelin's did feel a bit bouncy too much air in the tyres I am guessing?

JAX's did also fit those green caps on the tyres for both cars.

Yaris still has all four green caps, removed the caps off the wheels after they were repainted.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Yes it is less likely to leak with nitrogen as the molecules are larger. But for general street driving no actual performance benefits. But in a motorsports context the tyres weigh less .

Styria

The Godfather
Is there an extra charge to use Nitrogen instead of Air ? Some Owners' Manuals recommend checking tyre pressures on a regular basis, even once weekly. I check mine about one every two to six months, and very seldom do I need to top up. As well, when the cars get serviced, part of that service includes the checking of tyre pressures. Last time Cappie was serviced (Captiva) I noticed for about two weeks some harshness in ride comfort - when I checked the tyre pressures, the reading was well in excess of forty pounds per square inch in each tyre.

Reducing the pressure to 35lbs. all round restored ride comfort to a greater degree - it must be said that Cappie's suspension does not provide the most comfortable ride - although the faster you go, the better the suspension becomes.

With Gleaming Beauty (6.9) on account of its fitment of very low profile tyres, maintaining steady pressure of 36lbs. all round is of utmost importance. Again, once a month in this instance. Regards Styria

N.B. More of Gleaming Beauty in due course.

260ebenz

Master
Hi Styria,

JAX's charged an extra $10 for the nitrogen air for the tyres on the Yaris & the Mercedes.

The Conti's on the Yaris were fitted back in 2013.

300SE did have the Conti's 205/6515 took them off the road noise was terrible!

Michelin's now fitted much better.

Would have to check if that fee to use nitrogen in the tyres does still exist someone else might like to confirm that?

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
Disadvantage is you cannot just stop at a servo to pump them up... Unless a mix doesn't matter.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I would imagine the nitrogen the tyre places put in is just regular air filtered through some process that removes most of the oxygen. But regular air has so many trace gasses I doubt they have separeted them to the level a lab would:

AtmConcentration.bmp

So all you do with a servo top up is slighly increase the oxygen content.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
thank you. that is very interesting