New Tyres For Your Pride & Joy

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I apologize in advance that this may only be applicable to Sydneysiders. Through a family friend, I have a really good contact with a tyre retail outlet situated at Baulkham Hills-it is situated on Windsor Road between Parramatta and Castle Hill. Their name ? THE TYRE KING.

If and when any members need to purchase a new set of tyres, it is my suggestion that you phone them AFTER you have obtained prices from alternative suppliers. Get their price and let me know by way of PM, e-mail or simply phone me on my mobile 0428-50-1800 what they have quoted you. I would then contact them myself and get you a final price-you may well be pleasantly surprised. Regards, Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Just a further update to this post to illustrate that the "proof is in the pudding". One of our members, wanting to replace the 17" rear tyres on his latish 320 C-Class, did some 'shopping around' for newbies and I understand that with the fashionable brands like Zero Pirelli and Continentals, the price approached the $500 each mark.

So far, no attempt has been made to match price to tyre per tyre, and I guess it would be the only appropriate method to judge the competitiveness of my recommended supplier. However, he can buy the same size in a "Nankang" brand for $160.00 each ! If we consider the speed limitations applicable in this state, a down grading (as some might contend) is starting to make some sense, especially from a financial point of view.

I have brand new 18" Nankangs on my Gleaming Beauty, and I find them to be a perfectly satisfactory tire in both dry and wet conditions, and the comfort or harshness factor leaves little to be desired. Just to be sure, I have absolutely no affiliation with this tyre outlet other than on a private basis. Regards Styria

P.S. Just as an aside, if I were to go back to the supplier of my "Schnitzer" Speedie rims, my 18' ers would run to $230.00 each - 50% more than what I paid to the Tyre King.

Last edited:

6.9forever

Noble
I have had the Nankang 245/40R17s on the back of my C320 for a couple of hundred km now and I can tell absolutely no difference to the replaced Pirelli PZero Rossos. $160 plays $700. $700 loses!

6.9forever

Noble
After all the rain Sydney has had recently I can confirm no difference in wet weather performance with the Nankangs compared with the Pirellis.

Now I will monitor wear.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi David, that's great news - as they say, the 'proof is in the pudding'. I have certainly had no wet weather problems with these tyres on my 'Gleaming Beauty'. Regards Styria

hoddo

Connoisseur
Put a set of tyres on the 123 at the Tyre King. Thanks to styria for for organising a good job at the right price. Dont you just love the feel of new tyres? Another thing in favor of the Tyre King...just a short walk to the Bull&Bush for a beer while the tyres are fitted :)

B

BAR

Tyre King recently fitted Falken 215 x 60 x 15's to my 450SE.

For about 10 months I have had an incurable wheel balance with the 14's and all I can put it down to was that I had a 'plug' fitted when a large bolt was removed from the NSF tyre. That tyre has gone.

4 x New tyres, bigger wheels and perfect wheel alignment and all for less than $600.

Great service from the team.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
That's pleasing news indeed. Mind you, they seem to like the idea of selling Falken tyres in preference to some others. Whether it's a better tyre, or provides a greater profit margin, I do not know.

Probably Bar, in your case had I known of your intentions to purchase your tyres, I would have recommended the Dunlop SP300 Sports, or equivalents. I had those on Gleaming Beauty at one stage, with excellent results.

BTW, if possible, I would like to have a look at your 14" Bundts on behalf of Ozbenzhead. If you could get back to me to arrange a day and time, that'd be great. Regards Styria

B

BAR

Didn't see your posting regarding the 14" Bundts.

I have moved up to the Central Coast and the car is now garaged at a mates place in Baulkham Hills.

As for Falkens.. well I had a new set of tyres put onto the Lexus and guess what, they recommended Falkens for the Lexus.

Must be that they represent good price and performance for the purchaser and good profit for the dealer.

Many years ago I bought a Volvo 850 with dealer supplied optional Volvo wheels (from Denlo's in Parramatta) and guess what tyres were fitted... yes indeed, Falkens.

Always thought that they gave good grip, good price and good performance as well as a quiet ride.

The Falken 205/65 15's are quieter than the Dunlops that I had on the 14" Bundts.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Falken tyres are excellent all round and are made by Sumitomo in Japan.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
....and, of course, who owns Sumitomo ? Dunlop, of course....and who owns Dunlop...Woolworth or K-Mart (in Australia)...dunno - any suggestions from the 'learned and informed crowd' ? Regards Styria

Well, them two own just about everything....now, I am not being racial, but where do the Indians fit into the scheme of things. In the last few years, Indians just about have taken over the Service Station and Taxi industry - anyone have any clues how this has happened ?

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather

Hi BenzBoy, I don't see Woollies or Wesfarmers name on that link - am just waiting for either two to want to take over topklasse.org ! Oh me Gawd, I've just cracked a funny ! Regards Styria ....or maybe, they could buy into Olga's little uppies - sorry, puppies - have they exercised an option perhaps ? 100 buckeroos each puppy, to be offered at Supermarket for 2 grand each ? :D As always, Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
1. No you don't see the names of Coles or Wefarmers there because, although they may be distributors, they are not manufacturers. Remember that Dunlop Pacific is no longer related to Dunlop tyres.
2. There are Indian-Australians in petrol stations because like any of us they can buy a franchise.
3. Miss Olga will let her puppies go ONLY to the best of homes. The puppies will be the great garndson of the famous German, Finnish and International Champion Illo Vom Hamauerland so the list of hopeful people is already quite long.
Anything else you need to know; just ask. :D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
....and, of course, who owns Sumitomo ? Dunlop, of course....and who owns Dunlop...Woolworth or K-Mart (in Australia)...dunno - any suggestions from the 'learned and informed crowd' ?
Regards
Styria

Dunlop doesn't owns Sumitomo... Nor does Coles or Woolies

In 1999 Sumitomo and Goodyear entered into a joint venture, by which Sumitomo manufactured all Japanese-made tyres under the Dunlop name, while Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company bought 75% of the European and North American tyre businesses of Sumitomo.

In Australia the tyre division is owned by Ansell

A bit of History (courtesy of Wiki)

The company dates back to 1893, when the Irish company, The Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company, opened a branch office and factory in Melbourne.

Since then the major milestones have been:

* 1899: Dunlop sold its Australian branch to a Canadian consortium, who incorporated it as the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company of Australasia Ltd. and floated it on the Australian stock exchanges.
* 1906: The company changed its name to the Dunlop Rubber Company of Australasia.
* 1926: Commenced shoe manufacture.
* 1927: Dunlop UK acquired a 25% interest in the company.
* 1929: The company acquired the Perdiau Rubber Company and changed its name to Dunlop Perdiau Rubber Co.
* 1941: Name changed to Dunlop Rubber Australia Ltd.
* 1967: Name changed to Dunlop Australia Ltd.
* 1968: Acquired the Ansell Rubber Company, which made rubber products such as gloves, condoms and balloons.
* 1980: Merged with Olympic Tyre & Rubber and changed its name to Dunlop Olympic Ltd.
* 1984: Dunlop UK sold its 25% interest in the company.
* 1986: Name changed to Pacific Dunlop Ltd.
* 1987: The company transferred all its tyre manufacture and sales operations to a new joint venture with Goodyear Tires, South Pacific Tyres Ltd.

By 1988 the company had diversified well away from rubber products, and had operations in the clothing, footwear, healthcare, batteries and many other sectors. In that year the company's Consumer Products group was renamed Pacific Brands.

The company continued to diversify and acquired significant interests in the food business. It became the world's largest manufacturer and districutor of medical, household and industrial gloves.

In 1997 Pacific Dunlop was amongst Australia's top 50 companies.

In 1999 Pacific Dunlop entered a major restructuring and in 2001 sold off Pacific Brands, including the manufacturing arms of major Australian brand names Bonds, Slazenger, Dunlop Sport, Holeproof, Berlei and Tontine. At that time it continued to make tyres and rubberware under the Ansell brand name. The managing director commented at the time of the announcement that "condoms are less than 10 percent of Ansell's business, but . . . account for 90 percent of the publicity."

The Company's name was changed to Ansell Limited in April 2002 as a result of a strategic repositioning of the Company to concentrate on its core business, protective products and services in a broad healthcare context, and following the disposal of a series of other business units that did not fit within the strategy.

In 2006 the company sold its share in South Pacific Tyres to Goodyear, the other partner in the joint venture.

Today

Ansell Limited is an Australian publicly listed company with its Corporate Head Office located in Richmond, Victoria, Australia. The Company is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange as its home exchange and has listings on the London and New Zealand exchanges. In the US, Ansell Limited shares are traded in the form of American Depository Receipts (ADR's) on the NASDAQ.

They also make condoms.....:p

flugelfrog

G'day 6.9forever
Way back in May 08 !! you said that you had fitted Nankang tyres to your C320 and that you were happy with the handling in wet & dry - and the price difference when compared with Pirelli Rosso's was considerable.
I am interested to know your opinion now, after 2 years of use, as to the wear factor and the noise level.
I have an E280 CDi W211 running 265/35x18 Rears and 245/40x18 Fronts Rosso's which have now done 45000 k's. I'm very happy with that and with the handling wet/dry etc, BUT the replacement cost is around $2300. I don't want to compromise on safety and I must assume Mercedes knew what they were doing when they supplied these rims and tyres, so I'm thinking I should stick with the Rosso's? But the dollar savings are tempting.
Be pleased to hear your comments.
Regards
Ron

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Flugelfrog, I have waited a little while to give 6.9 forever an opportunity to respond to you. David spends a fair bit of time overseas, but if you were to ring me on my mobile (0428-50-1800), I could provide you with his phone number.

In the meantime, I'll try and answer your query on his behalf - as best as I know. David did mention at one time that he was concerned at the noise level generated by the Nankings, but otherwise they seemed fine. Personally, I am more than happy with the ones I had on Gleaming Beauty - excellent roadholding in both wet and dry, and I really could not fault them from a longevity point of view. They were 18inchers, 235.40. I had to take them off prematurely on account of an incorrect rear suspension height level which caused premature wear on the inside of the tyres. The replacements, in due course, will certainly be Nankangs. I hope this assists you in whatever course of action you decide on. Regards Styria

Last edited:

6.9forever

Noble
Hi flugelfrog -

Unfortunately (and unknown to Styria as I don't think I subsequently updated him) the Nankangs disappointed in the end. The rear ones became increasing noisy and the LH one showed a steel belt after less than 30,000km, closer to 25,000km I think and I always kept them inflated and wheels aligned. I have gone back to PZero Rossos, which I managed to get (complete set) at Bob Jane Hornsby for a reasonable price (albeit about 3 times the price of the Nankangs), as my leasing company drives a very hard bargain! The treads wore transversely in an uneven manner and the individual tread blocks become raised rather than stay flat on the face which I think is the source of the rolling noise.

I guess you get what you pay for.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I know all tyre companies have been subject to recalls at one point or another but I draw you attention to the following:
http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Tire/Complaint/Nankang/Nankang/Tire+Tread+and+Belt
I understand that Nankang did not comply with American law, did not attempt to notify owners of a potential danger and to date have not adequately addressed the issues.
Under these circumstances, I would not use Nanakang products on any of my vehicles. Safety should never be compromised by the savings of a few dollars.
I am aware that many people have had success with Nankang tyres but it would be unethical of me if I failed to draw your attention to the above.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited: