Changing Differential oil

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's probably fairly accurate to state that one of the most neglected items from a maintenance point of view would be the differential. You know, out of sight, out of mind, particularly if you are a mechanic of the DIY variety, bereft of a hoist facility. Laying on the ground, underneath the car is certainly no pleasure, and it gets worse when the time comes for refilling - you do need a special pump and appropriate hose for that task.

I have to admit that I am no exception to the rule in neglecting to change the diff oil at the recommended intervals. I do think that 6.9 diffs can be a little troublesome, with a whine when accelerating on a steady throttle, but also 'clonking' when slowing down and the box is changing to lower gears. I do know of loose bolt failure in one car with disastrous results, with one of the crown wheel bolts punching a hole in the diff casing, and in another instance, with a 6.3 diff having two or three almost finger tight only bolts in the crown wheel. Gleaming Beauty was prone to the aforementioned "clonking" problem and I was told that the star gears were worn. Some two months ago, I asked the local mechanics down the road from where I live to trace a harsh metallic noise that the car had been plagued with for some two years. I suspected a problem with the hub and also the U jointed drive shaft. Replacing the shaft with a rebuilt unit I had on hand cured the sharp metallic noise,, but I had also asked them to change the differential oil. That was duly carried out, and when I enquired about the state of quality of the oil drained, they thought that it looked "okay".

Anyway, since that oil change, the clonking has practically disappeared, and what is the moral of the story ? Don't skimp on maintenance just because the component is out of sight and out of mind. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
My diff oil was changed in most recent service at Auto Europe in Midvale W.A . Before dropping car off at Rowe & Sons for paint work. But it was complete service all fluids were done.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Very wise move, Geoff. Did they also change ALL of the hydraulic oil ? The system does hold six litres. Regarding engine oil - with you being somewhat of a "hot rodder", what sort of engine oil did they use , or would you have suggested to them to use ? For some time now, I have been using Nulon 15/50 full synthetic which retails for a reasonable price. All I can hope for is that the oil is as good as it should be. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
All fluids and filters as I requested were done. Transmission pan had a leak it was fixed. Coolant blue in colour . 2 cells replaced new filter and fluid. Front end rebuilt drag link ball joints tie rods. Penrite HPR10