Changing Brake Fluid

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It is recommended that the brake system should be flushed at least once a year. Apparently, the fluid attracts moisture, and therefore affects the efficiency of the calipers and various other components in the system.

To be honest, I had never really followed the recommended procedure as I felt that 'okay, I can see the brake fluid, I haven't lost any and therefore everything must be alright'.

Well, that's the theory. It isn't until, for instance, you open up calipers and when you see the gel-like substance and the crud around the caliper piston dust seal, that you appreciate the importance of changing and flushing out the old fluid. Mind you though, I do seriously doubt that flushing the system is going to get rid of the gel in the caliper housing. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Mind you though, I do seriously doubt that flushing the system is going to get rid of the gel in the caliper housing. Regards Styria

What is the option then?
Take the calipers apart?
Or pressure clean them on the car?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, the way I see it, only complete dismantling off the car will clean them out. If you look at it realistically, there is a helluva lot of dirt and crud that will call calipers their home, and just because they're out of sight, they tend to become neglected.

Best thing to do is to check the caliper seals every time the pads are changed which, in my experience, occurs at about 30k. kilometer intervals with my kind of driving. It is also a good practice to blow out the calipers from time to time to get rid of accumulated brake dust. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I read your post with interest Styria -as a matter of course I change my brake fluids on everything at least every two years which is the Benz and R-R recommendation. As you say, this probably does not remove all the gunk but the way I see it, if the fluid is regularly chagned, the amount of gunk build up should be less in the first place. Of course the Phantom never needs a change at all. Just adjust the rods and the servo and cross fingers no-one cuts too close in front.....:eek:
Regards,
BenzBoy

John S

It’s the water absorption and gunk in the calipers that causes the problems, so a regular bleed before the problems build up is the way to go. However by changing over from the Dot type hydroscopic brake fluids to silicone brake fluid a lot of problems can be eliminated.

Lukas

I wasn't aware of the existance of silicone-based fluids, so thanks for that. Are there any compatability issues between those and braking systems of older cars
(say a w116 perhaps)?

WGB

2 years is the M-B recommendation and if you do that regularly with M-B Dot 4+ there should be little crud present and all the water which will lower the boiling point is also removed.

Silicon Fluid was used by the US Military and was thought to be the answer for systems held in storage and cars which cover low mileages and was all the rage about 25 years ago but it has three problems.

1) It is incompatible with most of the Dot 3 and 4 fluids and it is not advisable to use it in a system unless it is new.

2) It does not absorb water so any water that accumulates in the system is at liberty to corrode whatever it comes in contact with.

3) It has a small amount of compressibility and is not an incompressible fluid like Dot 3or 4 so will produce a soft feeling pedal.

I can produce a reference that discusses these points if needed but Silicone Fluid is best avoided as far as I am aware.

Bill

B13

I believe the silicone based stuff is probably the best but its only usable on a "new" brake system, one in which all brake fluid has been flushed, dried out, etc. this includes all the rubber components in the calipers and master cyl, hoses, etc. Those that use it on race cars that I know are very pleased with it.

As for the need to change brake fluid regularly, as already stated, its hygroscopic (absorbs water) which over time lowers its boiling point... so after 5 or 10 years the boiling point might be so low that hard braking generates enough heat to boil the fluid even at moderate speeds (admittedly this is an extreme example).

Also the absorbtion of moisture tends to - over a period of years - cause localised pitting in the surface of the pistons.

Best to just change the fluid every 2 years. I couldn't trust who i bought whitey the race car from and while the brakes felt OK, I just cleaned out and rebuilt the calipers (they don't need to be taken apart) and let all the old fluid leak out, put in new fluid and now its perfect.

Ian.

John S

If the old Dot grade fluid is flushed out properly with the silicone fluid there is no compatibility problems. Silicone fluid does not absorb water so there is much less likelihood of moisture entering the braking system to cause problems than when using Dot graded fluids. Another minor advantage is that silicone fluid does not damage paintwork.

G

GreaseMonkey

Ok, most of the above is correct, but to clarify, regular brake fluid (not silicone) is hydroscopic, which does indeed mean it absorbs water.
How did water get in there?
It absorbs the moisture in the atmosphere, because the cap on the reservoir is vented - usually a little hole in the top - and that is all it takes.
Brake fluid in a well maintained and leak-free system will still get dirty over time, and if you have ever flushed a car out that has not been serviced regularly - I have seen brake fluid almost black - you will see a change in colour.
Again this dirt is absorbed with the moisture.
If there is 'crud' INSIDE the calipers, you have a major problem, and they will need a complete strip and rebuild with new seals.
I suspect you were refering to the stuff on the OUTSIDE of the caliper body, the dust and rubbish that collects behind the brake pads.
This is normal build up and can easily be washed down with brake cleaner.
It is worth checking there is no sign of fluid around the seals at this point, and certainly it is worth cleaning all the surfaces and the locating pins, as even a little build up can cause sticking pads or a spongy pedal as the pressure is having to compress other material before the brake pad moves, and this can cause longer travel.
Got those alloy wheel brake dust protection discs?
Your choice, and they certainly keep the wheels cleaner, but they also restrict airflow, and your brakes will run hotter, so, particularly if you are in hilly country, or tow a lot, get rid of them.
Another important tip is, despite what well meaning car maintainence books and NRMA advice guides may say, you should never 'top up' brake fluid!
The difference between the MIN and MAX marks on the reservoir are tha amount lost down the system due to pad wear - and hence the pistons are further along the caliper bores to compensate.
If fluid is low, it is for two reasons only;
1 - your pads are worn and need changing, and with new pads fitted the fluid would come back to the MAX mark again - except - you are changing the fluid at the same time anyway, aren't you?
2 - you have a leak - investigate urgently!
One other point, I have found a lot of garages and servicing outlets are now using the vacuum type bleeders, which suck fluid down from the calipers.
If it works for you, fine.
I have always used, and still prefer the pressure bleeder which attaches to, and pressurises the reservoir, for the simple reason that the vacuum type will only (with a good vacuum) one BAR, that is 14 PSI, which is often not enough to pull any trapped air bubbles, that will sit at the highest point in any bends in the hoses and pipes.
Apressure bleeder can often shift these at 25 or 30 PSI.
There are potential hazards with pressure bleeders though, so be careful;
reservoirs have been known to pop off master cylinders, due to weak locating grommets, and you have to be careful to disconnect the pressure supply BEFORE opening the reservoir cap, and then you have to syphon fluid out down to the MAX line.
The risk of spillage is I guess why the trade have gone over to the vacuum type.
And finally, I lost the pedal completely on my 280E coming down the MacQuarie Pass a few years back due to old (and subsequently boiling) brake fluid. I had only had the car a couple of weeks, but that is no excuse from somone who used to be employed by Midas (in th UK) twenty-five years ago specifically to train staff in brake servicing!
That will do for now,
Chris M.

Last edited:

s class

Thanks Chris for a good description. I too prefer the pressure bleed arrangement. I made up adapters to rig up to my air compressor. It allows one-man bleeding of a complete system in about 30 minutes, and the results are perfect, every time.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks Chris for a good description. I too prefer the pressure bleed arrangement. I made up adapters to rig up to my air compressor. It allows one-man bleeding of a complete system in about 30 minutes, and the results are perfect, every time.

Indeed.....
You make me wanna flush all my cars..... (the brakes I mean)
One by one...

Lukas

Indeed, thanks to all, sounds like DOT fluid is the safe bet for novices like me then.

Re the pressurised bleeding - is that an adaptor that sits over the hole in the master cylinder where you ordinarily add the fluid (and applies compressed air through that point), or does it attach somewhere else?

Last edited:

s class

Lukas, you got it. Its really as simple as that. I fill up the reservoir with fluid to the brim, connect the pressure, and slowly crank it up to about 2.5 bar. THen I crack open the bleeder screws one at a time. Just keepan eye on the reservoir level, cause it goes down quickly. WHen you need to top up, just lower the pressure back to zero before disconnecting, else you get a brake fluid shower..

I've found that above 2.5 bar, there is serious danger of the reservoir blasting itself of the M/C.

G

GreaseMonkey

Or get yourself a Gunson EeziBleed kit.
Google it for suppliers, or email me as I may still have supplier's details.
Cost about $70, but worth it once you've used it a few times.
It consists a half litre plastic bottle that holds brake fluid, a set of different m/c reservoir caps to suit most cars, including one that fits Mercedes, and an air pressure hose that clips on to the valve on your spare tyre, which presumably is inflated to around 30PSI.
All instructions included, easy to use, check for leaks when you first use it, as you don't want brake fluid spraying all over the place.
You will also need a piece of clear plastic tubing to fit the bleed nipple, and a glass jar for the old fluid, and I recommend one of those rubber bulb on a tube type syphon things (someone will post here and tell me what it's called) to remove brake fluid from the top of the reservoir to get the level back down to the MAX mark when you've finished.
Good luck,
Chris

WGB

I know it is not advisable to put an old master cylinder through it's full stroke as a rough bore towards the end will shred old seals but maybe wisdom would suggest the master cylinder was past it anyway.

Pressure bleeding is the preferred option but there is another alternative which is applying suction on the bleed nipples with a vacuum pump and a small container between vacuum pump and nipples.

You need good fitting tubing to keep a suction on the nipples but it works well if done properly.

Bill

G

GreaseMonkey

I know it is not advisable to put an old master cylinder through it's full stroke as a rough bore towards the end will shred old seals but maybe wisdom would suggest the master cylinder was past it anyway.

Pressure bleeding is the preferred option but there is another alternative which is applying suction on the bleed nipples with a vacuum pump and a small container between vacuum pump and nipples.

You need good fitting tubing to keep a suction on the nipples but it works well if done properly.

Bill
Go back to the start of this thread to see why I said pressure is better than vacuum.
Chris

WGB

I usually work by myself and don't own a pressure set up so I use the vacuum method and have never had a problem with air in the line afterwards but I usually get my wife to put some pedal pressure and crack open and closed each bleed nipple in turn at the end of the job just in case there is a little trapped air in a caliper.

I try not to let the master cylinder go past about half way through it's stroke and have never trashed a master cylinder nor ended up with anything other than a hard pedal.

Still agree that the pressure method is better just don't own one

Bill

oscar

I'm a newcomer to the world of brakes. Fascinating subject about fluid too, been doing a lot googling in the past few weeks particularly trying to work out what's the best for Povo. I'm amazed that water can get in the system but it does. I also read that the plastic reservoirs and plastic containers it's sold in is permeable to moisture hence why the real good stuff is sold in metal cans. (Never seen a tin can of brake fluid myself though)

Couple of points,re pressure bleeding v vacuum bleeding. What about gravity bleeding? I read a great article the other day that said despite the time it takes, open the bleeders and walk away, let it drain out overnight . Whatever's left including air will be purged with the new fluid the next morning.

Secondly, DOT 5 v DOT 4. Whilst DOT 4 can absorb water and DOT 5 can't, according to the world wide googleverse moisture still gets in a DOT 5 system the same way but will settle to form pockets and is more likely to cause corrosion in those areas compared to the same amount of moisture that is absorbed in DOT 4 fluid. I got the impression that DOT 4 absorbing water, although reducing its performance, acts as a mop to stop the water doing damage.

That doesn't concern me too much though. It's all hearsay without anecdotes but what does conern me with DOT 5 is that it causes natural rubber to swell much more than DOT 4. On a certain Shaguar forum there were a few positives but many more negatives concerning siezing calipers or harder braking due to swelling seals. Systems with compatible seals don't have any issue though.

EDIT, I forgot, what about flushing with alcohol?? Not sure what type, the thing I read didn't say......... but definitely not rum I'd say.

Last edited:
G

GreaseMonkey

But that doesn't make sense.
Why would there be "a little air trapped in a caliper" such that it needs a lilttle pedal pressure?
What are you saying - in case there might be and you don't trust the vac set-up?
How would air get in there?
Well if you had water in the brake fluid, and it boiled, you would have bubbles possibly still trapped, and they would travel to the highest point in the sytem - right? - right, so, pulling brake fluid down the line at no more than one bar, can mean the brake fluid travels past the bubbles without flushing them out, so you now have new brake fluid - good - and still some air bubbles - bad.
If, as you say it has always worked for you, great, but if you have to change a master cylinder for example, or do get air in the system you may find it is not good enaough.
Chris M.