Trnasmission fluid recommendations.

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Transmission fluid recommendations.

In the good old days - prior to 2009, M-B recommended that its modern transmissions were lubricated for life and needed no changing for at least 150,000ks. That has been officially amended. Now a change is recommended every 4 years or 60,000ks - whichever comes first as the filters clog, starve the torque converter and then you have little loose change in your pocket.
What an interesting turn of events?
How long will it be before engine oil change recommendations are also revised?
Of course we all knew that so why did it take M-B so long to discover it?:eek:
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited:

John S

The later 4, 5 & 6 speed gearboxes also use electronic sensors that get effected by the darkening oil, hence the benefits of changing the oil before it darkens too much.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Having just had it done on the ML I have to say it has smoothed the gear changes. I had it done by MBS - if you don't they will not stand by the box later in life.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

WGB

In the real good old days of 116's and 126's it was always changed regularly.

When they went 5 speed and electronic they announced sealed for life and took away the dipstick. It was just that life wasn't very long.They also had 28,000 km engine oil changes on diesels which was a tad imaginative (I changed my own at 14,000km as I couldn't live with oil that black).

Apparently first series ML 320's (Petrol) are famous for shredding their transmissions at about 120,000 miles and while the second series had a strengthened transmission that had earlier been fitted to the 500's they live a little longer with regular oil changes - but you need to buy a tool to check the oil level if DIY.

Lets hope they are now as reliable as they were in the past - pity the maintenance costs have risen to match the longer period between services and now with all the newer motors - both my ML500 and ML320 call you in at 15,000 km precisely- going back to shorter servicing intervals gets quite expensive for the minimal work actually done.

$450 for an A service (Only and oil and filter change) and $950 for a B Service (Oil and filter change and not much else) for both my ML's.

Bill

Last edited:
OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I know what you are saying Bill. What do they do for the money?
When I have the ML serviced at my independent it comes back serviced and feeling the same. When I have it done at MBS it comes back feeling like a new car. Why? What do they do at MBS? Do they download up-dated software or fixes to known issues?
It is not my imagination at work so there must ne something else they do at MBS. Mind you, they do give me a free loan car (normally $50) and a discount because we are long time customers - and yes it is a real discount where some of the parts are not charged.
I always change the oil on all my cars at mid service point or 6 months - whichever comes first. Clean oil has to mean a longer-lasting engine. I want at least 250,000ks from the ML. A friend has done 430,000 in his without anything other than routine replacement so I keep fingers crossed.
Regards,
BFC

WGB

Yes you are right Brian.

When the cars come back from Diesel Motors they feel new again and the money is soon forgotton.

I am not sure if it is the placebo effect or whether someone has actually checked the tyre pressures:D

Bill

abl567

Super Moderator
I have a MB computer diagnostic tool and software on a spare laptop in the garage, the module, software and OBD connections were about $100 on ebay.
When my Dads W202 C240 was playing up when cold I ran a complete scan and found a fault with the Mass airlow sensor and 1 coil pack. I cleaned the MAS and connections on the coil pack and the car ran "perfectly" so I reset the faults and service indicator with the laptop and shut it all down, not driving the car after I reset the faults.
An hour or so later I jumped back in to return the car to Dad and the difference in refinement and performance from before resetting was big, not huge but noticeable. Could still be mind over matter but I doubt it.
BTW the software I have works for all A, C and ML class up to '06. Let me know if anyone wants to run a scan and I'll see what I can do

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have a MB computer diagnostic tool and software on a spare laptop in the garage, the module, software and OBD connections were about $100 on ebay.
When my Dads W202 C240 was playing up when cold I ran a complete scan and found a fault with the Mass airlow sensor and 1 coil pack. I cleaned the MAS and connections on the coil pack and the car ran "perfectly" so I reset the faults and service indicator with the laptop and shut it all down, not driving the car after I reset the faults.
An hour or so later I jumped back in to return the car to Dad and the difference in refinement and performance from before resetting was big, not huge but noticeable. Could still be mind over matter but I doubt it.
BTW the software I have works for all A, C and ML class up to '06. Let me know if anyone wants to run a scan and I'll see what I can do
I can see a BBQ coming up!!
Get your Tee shirts printed, car Swissvaxed and your ECU scanned at the one-stop-TK Shop!!! I can see the Tee shirts now!! I was scanned by Ant.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited: