Another take on sagging seat bases

More threads by WGB

WGB

The usual 116 problem is a sagging outer edge to the drivers seat and the only real lasting solution is probably a new seat base and prefererably the older and interchangeable 108 type with coils springs rather than the later torsion bar type springing - very labour intensive and requires finding and purchasing a 108 (or early 116) seat base.

Another option is to change the passenger seat base for the driver seat base - also very labour intensive.

When I re-upholstered my front seats 2 years ago I was going to swap the bases but it would have required drilling out the rivets for the hinges and replacing them on the opposite side of each base and the base itself has punched holes that are mirror images of each other and they may be like that for a structural reason - however apart from this they appear interchangeable.

I made the decision to repair the drivers base using crimped joints to the two broken springs.

I have regretted that decision ever since as although the springs are now sound they are weak on the outer edge from people getting in and out over 30 years and this causes some discomfort, a disconcerting feeling going around left hand corners, as well as back pain - especially as I have a scoliosis that is exactly the opposite of the tilt in the seat.

Getting the seats in and out of the car is not easy and I have been driving around for the past two years wishing the largely unoccupied pasengers seat had the problem - not mine.

A few months ago a genuine M-B repair kit for 126 seats (which are even weaker than the later 116 seat bases) appeared on US e-bay and the picture showed it to be two hollow rubber cylinders which are placed vertically on either side at the leading edge of the seat between the base and the spring pad.

This still allows the spring base to work and stops the over stuffed and hard squab effect that forcing a pool noodle around between the springs can cause.

Using the same theory as the genuine repair kit and a $2 pool noodle I cut three lengths - 16cm, 14cm and 12cm from the noodle. With the seat in position and me sitting on it I eased the bottom leather re-inforced seam from it's channel in the seat base and this left plenty of room to ease in the three lengths of noodle - each sitting vertically. They wedge nicely between base and squab springing with the longest at the front , 14 cm in middle and 12 cm at rear. Sit on it again and tuck in the leather back in the channel again.

The seat is now level and the outer edge is firm but the integrity and springing of the base is still present.

At $2 and 22 minutes of time I will see if I am happy with it or not. If not I will find a 108 base and start again.

Bill

`

B

BAR

Which is why I once asked if any people in Melbourne could assist in the delivery of a seat to a foam company there to investigate the production of foam relacements for these seats.

Styria

The Godfather
Which is why I once asked if any people in Melbourne could assist in the delivery of a seat to a foam company there to investigate the production of foam relacements for these seats.

Hi Brian, we did suggest, and had a willing helper in Melbourne, to help you get things organized. After that, we never heard from you again on this particular matter. Regards Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

For anyone interested in this quick fix here is a photo of the noodles with the skirt lifted.

Poolnoodles.jpg

This first attempt used a somewhat anaemic pool noodle and when my wife arrived home with a more robust pair of noodles for my grandson I elected on another try.

PoolNoodletake2.jpg

I tried replacing the front one only with a 16 cm length but this was overdoing it so settled with a 14cm length which appears to have worked quite well and I will see how it travels over the next few months.

Bill

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
You know Bill, I never tried to reply to your original post as simply I had no idea what a 'noodle' was - I kept on thinking of needle, no whatever, and in the end I just put it down as too hard to respond to inspite of your thorough description. Now I know what you are talking about and, quite frankly, if it works it's an ingenious idea on your part.

In my Gleaming Beauty, I do have a driver's seat with a modified seat base. It is a 116 unit, and it's a factory job and it certainly eliminated the problem of the outer edge sagging. I scored it from somewhere years ago. With the help of the sheepskin covers, the seats in "GB" are just about perfect, although someone or other (may have been Michel) commented on the fact that the seats were too high for his liking. I just wish I'd have a photo to illustrate the difference in the seat bases.

Just one little thing I noticed in your latest photo - the neat 6.9 description on your floor mat. Very nifty and just illustrates (I think so anyway) how proud you are of owning your 6.9. Maybe, just maybe, you may have to find an AMG Steering Wheel. :) Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
WGB

WGB

Just one little thing I noticed in your latest photo - the neat 6.9 description on your floor mate. Very nifty and just illustrates (I think so anyway) how proud you are of owning your 6.9. Maybe, just maybe, you may have to find an AMG Steerin Wheel. :) Regards Styria

The mats were procured by AMG 69 and I do own a genuine early AMG steering wheel.

JoshuaDriving.jpg

Here it is fitted - with my grandson at the wheel about 18 months ago.

I quite like the feel of the wheel but it blocks the view of the speedo and anyway after 30 years driving big benzes I actually like the feel of the enormous standard wheel.

I do occasionally change the wheel for M-B meets etc as the 6.9 usually attracts some attention from the M-B members.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
The mats were procured by AMG 69 and I do own a genuine early AMG steering wheel.

JoshuaDriving.jpg

Here it is fitted - with my grandson at the wheel about 18 months ago.

I quite like the feel of the wheel but it blocks the view of the speedo and anyway after 30 years driving big benzes I actually like the feel of the enormous standard wheel.

I do occasionally change the wheel for M-B meets etc as the 6.9 usually attracts some attention from the M-B members.

Bill

What a nice looking boy - I am sure he must be the apple in everyone's eyes - well, you know, relations, Grandfathers (!), Mums and Dads - need I say more ?

Yes I do - I also have an absolute liking for the Benz wheel - mine is in good condition and feels 'right' for my hands. From time to time, if I use handcream (on my hands, naturally), any excess is wiped onto the steering wheel. It certainly helps in the preservation process. Regards Styria