Seat bases

More threads by Martin280s

Martin280s

The seat base on Lady Genevieve gave out ages ago and I had it fixed. However, the seat was never that comfortable afterwards so I started hunting down a 'new' front seat. I decided I'd go for the passenger one as it would have been used much less.

This last week, I tracked down a donor car and its owner told me he'd sell just one seat as opposed to the full set or front pair which is usual practice. Yesterday I trotted off to have a look at them, as I suspected the passenger one was much smarter to I promptly bought it. The seller let it go with the armrest still fitted, which alone in an MB breakers would cost almost what I paid for the complete seat! BTW, the donor car is a 1973 350se, one more dead 350. Why is it they are usually the dead ones?

After stripping the seat down I noticed that the base is made up off coil springs as opposed to the 'scissor-type' spring in LG. I just hope they are interchangeable...although it does look so! This started me thinking if the coil spring is a leftover from the w108? Does anyone know what seat bases their cars have?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Martin280S, I have reason to believe that driver and passenger bases are interchangeable, but as I have never tried it, I cannot guarantee this to be the case.
Just a couple of questions - I take it that in Brazil you have left hand drive - correct ? Secondly, any chance of pics of the spring arrangement in both seat bases ? Would then be able to advise you more accurately. BTW, I don't think we have ever seen any pictures of the interior of your car. Regards Styria

B13

I've used the passenger-side seat base from a 1975 450SE on the drivers side of my 6.9, no problems there, and has much better support. So in this instance it was definately interchangable.

Come to think of it, at most self-serve auto breakers here in Melbourne, you will often find the passenger-side seat sells quite quickly, no doubt for that exact reason.

Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that even W123 seats still interchange and fit in a W116.

I.

OP
Martin280s

Martin280s

I've used the passenger-side seat base from a 1975 450SE on the drivers side of my 6.9, no problems there, and has much better support. So in this instance it was definately interchangable.

Come to think of it, at most self-serve auto breakers here in Melbourne, you will often find the passenger-side seat sells quite quickly, no doubt for that exact reason.

Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that even W123 seats still interchange and fit in a W116.

I.

The seat bases on my car are part number 123 XXXX, and yes, the passenger one has less use therefore the spring are still quite strong. So that's probably why they sell quicker!

After putting the seat together today I did notice that the extra layer of foam I used has really enhanced comfort without losing the beautiful concave shape. Do I prefer the older coil springs of the W108 style to the newer 'scissor' ones in the later W116. I have yet to take the car for a spin yet I'm sure the results will be good. At least there's no seat sagging to the left! :)

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Fortunately for me, the leathers and the seat packings in BOTH front seats in my car are still quite acceptable. Perhaps this is because I am only a little guy. They have also been protected with leather treatment and matching colour sheepskin covers.

116Benz

Theres a few interior parts you can swap with a W123, seat adjustment handles, knobs, switches, and some stuff can be swapped with W126's (late W116's had started to use W126 steering column's for instance).

OP
Martin280s

Martin280s

I tokk LG out for a spin and WOW I had forgotten how comfy the seats used to be! I really was a good idea to replace the base and not just fix it up! I'll post picture later I I've just got my new mobile/camera and I don't know how to use it yet! There are some things about techology I love, e.g. Mp3 internet but things like mobile phone just do not excite me at all.