Inertia Reel Seat Belt Replacement

More threads by AM1961

AM1961

Hi All.
Now that I have my car registered and been for a few drives, I would like to start making it even better.

First on the agenda is replacement of the front seat belts.

They are frayed along the edges and the recoil/retraction is less than optimal (read useless).

So, has anyone got any information on where to go for replacements please?

1974 350se W116.

Andrew.

Oversize

Grand Master
This is a difficult one as seatbelts are not supposed to be repaired and I've even heard some wreckers won't sell them, choosing instead to cut the webbing to avoid liability. Those that do charge inflated prices. I'm not sure if they're available new from MB, but if they are you can bet they'll be $$.

The best I can suggest is contact Klippan http://www.apvautomotive.com/safety...tomotive_SA/About Us/Contact Information.html or a similar manufacturer for guidance. Or try some rodding mags for custom seat belt ads.

Oh and let us know the result of your search as I'll need some too in the future...

Tony66_au

Andrew have you tried cleaning them?

I have had reasonable success extracting the belts all the way out and then lubing the mechanism with Inox spray and although this wont renew your belts it will make them work better.

As for the frayed edges there are allegedly a few tricks involving flame on the frayed edges im told although I cant recommend this method for safety reasons.

Tony66_au

Andrew have you tried cleaning them?

I have had reasonable success extracting the belts all the way out and then lubing the mechanism with Inox spray and although this wont renew your belts it will make them work better.

As for the frayed edges there are allegedly a few tricks involving flame on the frayed edges im told although I cant recommend this method for safety reasons.

charlottesbutler

Andrew
I had similar trouble in May 2011. Because of the safety/liability element, most people seem reluctant to say much. Here is a copy of my notes at that time. I hope they help you:

"Seatbelt drvr side not retracting after use. Belt is worn and shabby.

Autobarn Repco cautious with advice re aftermarket c/o unit. Too many options, what type are fitted?

Klippan website shows many models available depending on angle of pillar mount etc and a matrix helps make a choice. see several pdfs on line.

A Perth Co can service and replace belts for about $120-180 each, plus postage.

MB manual shows how to remove pillar cover and belt unit. See page Chassis 68.470

Attempted service and repair on 11.5.20, and cover came off easily with 2 screws and a downward pull. Seat slid right f'ward. Mounting bolts at pillar top and floor came off easily. One bolt/nut holding retractor assy inside frame, then out, minding vac lines to doorlock and wires for window.

Belt was frayed and twisted, but retractor reel OK. Considered replacing belt fabric but seemed too hard to retain coil spring without special tool. Noted that belt guides were back2front, and reinstalled properly. Belt now works again. Job done. Plastic bottom trim plate with 2 screws was cracked in sev places. Temp. repair w 2 part araldite reinforced with clear plastic from a bubble pack. Now replaced.

Belt assy had following marks.

Buckle - male - SB408-2
Trim plate - 116 6920222
retractor/inertia assy - SB2010; 90 90 C; 750725

The 90 90 refers to angles of installation; pillar base and top mount are vertical, ie 90 degrees; they are plumb. Also they are plumb in the other plane, ie the top is not inboard of the lower mount. The inertia lock is set for that condition. See Klippax for guide to aftermarket units."

That's it. The WA service requires the units sent to them so, if you choose that option, plan not to need the car for a while. Also, pls note there are warnings NEVER to use lubricants on an inertia reel system.

Regards
Rod.

Oversize

Grand Master
So the big Q is can you still get them from MB and how much??

Tony66_au

Also, pls note there are warnings NEVER to use lubricants on an inertia reel system.

Regards
Rod.

Hi Rod, I think that's actually to stop end users contaminating the belt webbing with a solvent based lube.

I did the rear belts in my wagon 12 months ago as they were locking in the pillar when the car was on a slight angle.

When I removed the units to rectify the issue thinking they had perhaps been knocked off plumb I noted some oxidisation and minor corrosion which I rectified as best I could but the belt locker mech didnt operate properly until Id carefully and precisely applied Inox after which it worked like a brand new unit and without the horrible noises.

I gave the belt a good hiding once in situ and it locked first time every time thereafter and i have had no issues with the units since BTW.

However if you use a solvent based oil I can see it degrading the webbing over time and this would be the reason for the disclaimer id bet.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony66_au

BTW my love for Inox is because it isnt a petroleum product, it is infact made from Lanolin, a natural waxy oil found in Sheep wool.

charlottesbutler

Tony:
Thanks, I live and learn. See no reason why lanolin should do harm, unless it attracts debris which later causes that jammer gadget to gum up. It's pretty annoying when the belt won't extend freely when putting it on. Light application seems fine.

Pity belts didn't help those poor Bs in the CLK.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been meaning to ask if you know about a sheepskin seller further out on your road? Any clues? My, you sure are fond of sheep! :)

Andrew: that WA supplier is: www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au Maybe our sandgroper members have advice on that?

Rod

Tony66_au

On the Straz Rod? No I don't know of a skin seller.

My Shearer Dan used to do skins but its getting too messy for him these days so he doesn't do it any more.

That's not to say the Tanner or trader isn't still here somewhere but I don't know of them.

I do know there is a wool buyer in Yarram as Id enquired about selling fleeces after shearing and perhaps they sell skins?

I can ask about.

Tony

Tony66_au

By the by, My love for Inox is purely a selfish one....... The stuff works and works well for a lot of things with the added bonus being that its an Aussie Company and instead of using fish oil (WD40/RP7/CRC56) it uses Lanolin and works as a non conductive water displacer, penetrating agent for rusty or frozen parts and isn't a bad light assembly lube.

Cheers,
Tony

Styria

The Godfather
So AM1961, how did you get on in the end ? Did you get your problem sorted out ? I am not certain what type of seat belt is fitted to your model. I know that on the later models, you have a long bar on the insides next to the gearbox tunnel, and the buckles are bolted to the sides of the seats. Purely Mercedes Benz. On the 'B' pillars side, you have the retractable belt which is the one that frays. Best thing to do is head for the wreckers and purchase a replacement unit. Provided that you can find a 116 in a wrecking yard, the "Do it yourself" dismantlers should provide you with the correct part.ii6s though are becoming increasingly rare in those yards. Regards Styria

OP
AM1961

AM1961

Thanks Mark. I have been a bit slack and just enjoying the driving experience for the last few weeks. A cruise to Bendigo was a absolute pleasure. The W116 is a great car. I will have to get onto the belt situation in the next couple of weeks.

Oversize

Grand Master
Great to hear that your W116 is getting around the lovely Victorian countryside! Did she turn any heads? Any encouraging comments?? Pics?? Or was it too cold to even get out??!! :)

Styria

The Godfather
From the weather reports, you guys in Melbourne are having a hard time with the cold temperatures. I have forgotten now, but which belts do you think require replacement ? Despite what Tony has said, there ought to be someone in Sydney that should be prepared to sell some second hand belts. Another alternative could well be Lukas in Canberra - I wonder if he hept some of that stuff. Alternatively - what about you, Mark ? From what I read there will be one car you will be dismantling. Anyway, if someone lets me know which belt, I can do some checking of stock myself.

BTW, nice to know that you are enjoying driving and ownership of your car. Regards Styria

mrkozzy

Never finished
For anyones future reference.

I refitted the original factory supplied seat belts (front only) some time ago.
(as to why, they were changed at all is a whole other story)

They are;
"KLIPPAN" 60881 and the part number is DB 116 860 3285.
Same belt for left and right
This number should cross reference with any superceeded versions.

Last edited: