Advice on how to clean a light coloured seat belt?

More threads by BenzBoy

abl567

Super Moderator
Easy Off Bam! :cool:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Now I am putting my detailing hat on.

Mix up a mixture of methylated sprits detergent and water in a spray bottle, and soak the woven fabric of the seat belt, and rub it with a clean rag. Adding some white spirits to the mixture often helps.

Then use a vacuum cleaner with a slot nozzle to dry it. The vacuum should help to withdraw the dirty cleaning mixture directly from the fabric.

Problem with some stains is that they get into the fibre and tint it. If that happens, the stain is much harder to remove.

You can only try!

Styria

The Godfather
Sorry, you may need to translate, Ant...
Regards,
Brian

Hi BenzBoy, it seems to me that you don't spend much time doing the shopping. It's the sort of stuff that you find at Woollies or Coles.
Mind you, there is always something to be said for owning a TV and watching commercials. :D You can obtain Television sets from.....

Interesting solution by SEL69L - he really got carried away with his recipe, but knowing the boy, the stuff will work. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
In all seriousness, can anyone guarantee such stuff would not rot and weaken a seat belt? It's a bit late to find out at the point of impact.....
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
It did hear that warm soapy water is one way to clean seat belts is that correct?

mathew

No harsh chemicals should be used on seatbelt fabric MBHQ will tell you that, they have researched into this themselves. The only thing Germany recommended to me was sunlight soap and warm water but go easy on the soap, it is critical that you remove any traces of soap residue once finished. It seem a minor detail I know but the strain that goes through that fabric upon impact is far from minor!

Cheers Mat.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
No harsh chemicals should be used on seatbelt fabric MBHQ will tell you that, they have researched into this themselves. The only thing Germany recommended to me was sunlight soap and warm water but go easy on the soap, it is critical that you remove any traces of soap residue once finished. It seem a minor detail I know but the strain that goes through that fabric upon impact is far from minor!

Cheers Mat.

Thank Mat - that is my concern. Nice to see you on here and I hope the countryside is treating you well.
Regards,
Brian

mathew

Thanks mate it's great here, no toll's here, no traffic and lot's of wide open spaces for a German V8 to show what it can do. I have to say I'm surprised by the number of Mercedes here both very old and very new, there is even an S65 sneaking around which really does stand out in a little place like this.

Cheers Mat:)

E200K

For spot stains use a fabric cleaner (303 Cleaner & Spot Remover).

1. Pull the belts from the retractor and gently close the door on the belt, clean and allow to air dry before opening the door and retracting the belt. Do not use bleach, strong detergents, or dye on the seat belts as this may severely weaken them and render them ineffective in a crash.

2. Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303 High Tech Fabric Guard).

3. While you are cleaning the belts, take the opportunity to closely inspect them for damage and security of attachment. Ensure here are no cuts, tears or abrasions (you should always inspect for damage etc if they get caught by a closing door).

4. After a while the seat belt mechanism becomes slow and/or will not retract when released. This can be avoided by cleaning the upper anchor; as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt, which builds up over time. Use compressed air to remove dust and then using a cotton bud and some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can clean the seat belt anchor/retracting mechanism. Once clean add some Plexus Plastic Cleaner to provide lubrication.

Maintenance - clean seat belts with a 5:1 P21S Total Auto Wash / distilled water solution. Ensure they are thoroughly dried before use.

Alternative products – Pro C 28 Seat Belt Cleaner and Spot Remover. This is a non-flammable and non hazardous concentrated cleaner that safely removes dirt, oil, grease and stains from seat belts.

260ebenz

Master
Simon that is excellent advice you have given there and where can we purchase the products you mentioned in your post?

I would imagine after 21 years the seat belts in my W124 would appreciate a good clean.

Cheers Tim.

mathew

260ebenz

Master
Just checked out the prices on the car care products site some of the prices make you look twice! :eek:

Well I guess quality car products do cost money.

I thought good old Meguairs was a good product to use on my W124 I am quite pleased with the results perhaps the Dodo Juice, Menzerna might be worth a try?

Cheers.

Styria

The Godfather
Just checked out the prices on the car care products site some of the prices make you look twice! :eek:

Well I guess quality car products do cost money.

I thought good old Meguairs was a good product to use on my W124 I am quite pleased with the results perhaps the Dodo Juice, Menzerna might be worth a try?

Cheers.

Please explain ! :confused: Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Cheers Mat you are a legend!
:D

I do remember cleaning all 4 seat belts in my old 230E and I used warm soapy water the end results were excellent so I guess it wouldn't hurt to clean the belts in my 260E using the same method?

Yep, you won't find many better, nor more committed, than him. He'll do me anytime. Plus, he's got some really nice cars and, whatsmore, he knows how to look after them. Just have a look at his avatar. Regards Styria

mathew

Tim if you want to step up from Mequires and not break the bank PS21 is a very good product that is also very easy to apply it's what I used before I switched to DODO products, well worth a try mate.

Cheers Mat.