Dash light out

More threads by MercedesMike

MercedesMike

The bulb that lights up my Tachometer/clock instrument cluster appears to be burned out. What is the process for accessing and replacing this bulb? Very annoying. Also, has anyone had any success with brighter bulbs? The ones that light up the speedometer and the combo cluster (oil pressure/temp/fuel) are not very bright (and yes I've tried adjusting the dimmer switch).

Thank you.

WGB

Pull out the instruments and replace all the bulbs at the same time.

I think they are all the same wattage.

From memory the instruments have two bulbs each which may explain your gloom in the past if the first has been gone for some time and the second has just joined in.

Bill

OP
MercedesMike

MercedesMike

Bill:

That was my thinking. Replace all the bulbs. Sorry for the basic question: How do I open the instrument panel? I'm sensitive to damaging the plastic and the burlwood trim so want to be thoughtful about disassembly. Thank you.

WGB

1)Put a length of tape - masking tape or anything not too sticky over the Burl to protect it.

2)It is much easier to remove the steering wheel but make sure you get it back in the same position - prise out the star from the padded boss and use a socket ?22mm from memory

3) The Instruments should pull easily as a complete assembly out of the shroud until you get to the end of the speedo cable - a wire hook may be needed if it is tight but I have never seen a tight 116 assembly yet.

4) You need to unscrew the speedo cable from the end of the speedo which will then allow you to pull the instruments out a bit further and disconnect the large round connector and other electrical connectors - remembering where they all go .

5) this will free it up a little more and you can undo the connection to the oil pressure gauge with a 10mm spanner (from memory).

All the illumination bulbs are under plastic connectors that twist out of the printed circuit board with a couple of warning lights that are attached to the harness itself.

From memory all bulbs are the same.

Bill

B

BAR

I once replaced all the bulbs in my dash, just to find out it was the wretched fuse! Even though it looked OK the fuse was NBG.

Just take a second to replace all the old corroded fuses (and they all will be old and corroded) before pulling out the instrument binnacle.

It may just save you a lot of effort.

John S

The "Dieseling Doctor" in the US advises replacing ALL fuses at 10 years to avoid electrical gremlins.

flutes

The contacts on the dimmer control rheostat would be worth cleaning when you have the instrument cluster out as well. A bit of light abrasive paper does the trick...

B

BAR

Are all the dashboard lights out - including those behind the centre console - sliders - heater + A/C knobs - if so check your fuses.