Orange light dash console

More threads by 260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Driving the 300SE last night and there was a orange light displayed on the dash console.

From what I could see it appeared to be a globe replacement light warning.

I checked the headlights, brake lights all working fine.

Checked it again last night no orange light displayed.

Will check it again over the weekend.

If the lights are working why would the orange light be displayed on the console?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Driving the 300SE last night and there was a orange light displayed on the dash console.
From what I could see it appeared to be a globe replacement light warning.
I checked the headlights, brake lights all working fine.
Checked it again last night no orange light displayed.
Will check it again over the weekend.
If the lights are working why would the orange light be displayed on the console?

On the console or the instrument bezel (where the speedo resides)?

Take a picture Tim....

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Best to check Owner's Manual.

Page 64 Bub failure indicator lamp.

Will check the indicators are all working correctly and report back.

E200K

I think it's the warning light for the unknown orange instrument warning light.

Oversize

Grand Master
Those warning lights are a pain! It's often because globes aren't replaced in pairs. Having an odd, or old globe can trigger the warning light. Pull em all out & replace them with decent German globes.... And they're not normally available at you local servo. Try battery world or an auto elec.

abl567

Super Moderator
Did you have your fog lights on Tim, mine lights when I use the fog lights, but I have never checked if all my fog lights work:eek:

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Did you have your fog lights on Tim, mine lights when I use the fog lights, but I have never checked if all my fog lights work:eek:

Checked the indicators all working hazard lights working.

Brake lights, head lights, parking lights and fog lights all working.

Number plate lights working.

Drove the car to and from home earlier this arvo there was no orange light displayed on the instrument bezel.

Keep my eye on it.

Thanks guys.

Tony66_au

Bad contact, clean all globe holders and lightly clean the contacts on your globes or just replace em all with Hella, Phillips or preferably Tungsram/GE.

Tony66_au

BTW I replace all my non halogen globes as a matter of course in ANY car new to me and I have found some seriously crappy globes mixed with good quality globes.

Dash lights included.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Thanks for the tips Tony that's great.

Checked the globes in the boot some of the globes were loose and dusty.

Removed the globes cleaned off the dust refitted and re-checked all lights working.

Inside the tail light lenses need a good clean out with a vacuum 23 years of dust inside the lenses that is an easy job with the Dyson vacuum.

Re-checked the headlights, fog lights, parking lights all working fine.

No orange displayed on the instrument bezel yesterday arvo when I drove the car.

Cheers.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Might be worth removing and cleaning the tail light units as part of your concours cleanup BTW

Thanks again Tony good tip.

Cleaned the exterior side of the tail lights used Meguairs plastic polish buffed on buffed off.

Replaced the L/H tail light lense with an original lense but unfornately the reverse light section of the lense is faded.

R/H side lense is fine.

Both lenses say they are Made in Germany so they would have to be original lenses?

I have looked at few original 2nd hand lenses but of course they are either faded, chipped or the lense is cracked.

Might have to buy a new lense which might not be cheap?

Cheers.

Tony66_au

Id suggest a removal and cleanup, Why?

Well because the gaskets that sit between the assembly and the body of the car get yucky and removal of polish and grunge buildup on the apertures the lights fit into will make a difference.

As Boots leak sometimes (Especially when blasted with 1800 PSI modern car wash devices) any condense may promote rust which id say the light surrounds may be prone to so it is also a good place to check for tinworm.

I did one side of the SEL when I replaced a faded tail light unit and it made a noticeable difference and shows a love for the car when done.

it is also now noticeable from the outside lol