Looking for advice - new carpets

More threads by flutes

flutes

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about replacing the carpets (complete set) on my 405SEL ('77 - blue interior with velour) and am looking for some advice on the best way to proceed.

This has come about due to some water damage, and an attractively strong Aussie dollar which encourages purchases from the US!

The options I think I have are:
  • Buy the carpets directly from someone like GAHH and install myself
  • Buy the carpets directly and have a pro install them
  • Get a pro to do the whole lot

The carpet set from GAHH, with shipping, is roughly USD1,000 at the moment.

Some questions:
  • Is it feasible for a non-pro to do this install job myself? (I've never attempted anything like it.) Or does this require so much hands-on experience it's not worth attempting?
  • Will pro shops install materials you've bought elsewhere? What sort of $$ would a full carpet install like this cost?
  • What sort of rough cost would having the shop provide the materials and install be?
  • Does anyone have any recommendations for good and value for money trim shops? I've been in touch with John from Classic British and German but don't know of any others.

Other considerations - I'm not trying to bring this car up to concours levels here - this is a daily driver that I constantly try to improve, budget is certainly an issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Matt.

John S

First off, how did the water damage occur? It's no use putting new carpet in, only to have that ruined too, so any leaks need to be fixed, and with W116's there are a number of areas the water can come from.

Sections of the carpet covering the floor area of W116's are actually glued into position and a professional can do it much better that any first-timer, as they have the spraying equipment and know-how - the thickness of the glue is important to work properly. You don’t want the carpet covering the sills to move, nor do you want lumps under the carpet.

The panels under the dash probably need recovering after 30+ years, as will the side 'kick panels' in the drivers and passengers area, so the material must be sourced for that too.

Try getting a price from Brent Parker and check out his work before you order the carpet from overseas, you may be pleasantly surprised at the supply and fit price (Brent & Michael did my W116).

TJ 450

Flutes, I was under the impression that you just wanted to replace the four "removable" carpet sections (mats) and not every bit of carpet in the interior. Would this be correct?

I reckon it would be worthwhile following John S's advice with the professional opinion too. :) I heard that those carpets are not supplied with the padded backing, and the original needs to be transferred to the new carpet material.

You could try this yourself, but you would have to be careful with that foam backing, as I know it is easily torn.

Tim

OP
F

flutes

Thanks John.

The water damage was caused by firstly a rear screen seal (replaced about a year ago) and subsequently the condensation channels from the AC being blocked and finally by the expansion valve not being wrapped in tar tape.

I've had the carpets and insulation mats out for about two months now and am pretty confident the water issue is solved. Aside from the carpets the damage wasn't too bad - a bit of surface rust on the floor pans which I'm cleaning up and the old tar matting in the rear has cracked and is in the process of being pulled up and cleaned up. I have a stack of Dynamat which I'm putting down there and in the front as well.

I'm leaning towards having someone who knows what they're doing do the job - the under dash panels are remarkably good but everything at foot level is in pretty poor condition, a fair bit of it just wear. All these pieces look like they need a lot of skill.

Thanks for the advice re Brent - I take it he's on the forum.

Regards,
Matt.

OP
F

flutes

That's what I was thinking originally Tim - however what I thought was just a white water residue that would brush off the was a sign that parts of the carpets were deteriorating to the point where brushing it off would remove the carpet, just leaving the hessian backing. In some places, especially around the driver's footwell, this goes up about an inch or two.

The carpet over the sills in the front is worn right down, as well as quite a bit of wear in other places. The rear parcel shelf needs a new pieces of carpet as well!

It's the sort of thing where the more I looked at it the more I thought it needs to be done properly, and completely. I don't like my chances of doing this successfully myself, and it's such a visually important part of the car that I know I'd never forgive myself if there were any glaring defects. I've also read in a few places that as good as the pre-bought carpet sets are, they occasionally need adjusting and re-trimming, which is not something I'd want to attempt.

Cheers,
Matt.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Flutes, welcome to our forum - we hope that you will feel right at home and, if you are comfortable to do so, take an active and rewarding interest in all matters pertaining to our cars.

As far as the carpets are concerned, we use GAHH in the states for most of our upholstery requirements, and have done so for just on about eight years, with hardly any hassle during that time. Presently, we are offering a genuine 20% discount from the advertised retail price by the company. It may perhaps be best if you are going to give me a call on my mobile, 0428-50-1800 and I'll then be able to best explain matters more fully. Regards, Michael (Styria)

OP
F

flutes

Thanks Styria - this was my first post here! I've owned a w116 for about 18 months now so hopefully have some knowledge to contribute to the forum...

I'll give you a call on your mobile,

Regards,
Matt.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Matt,

I can only sing the praise of Brent's workmanship ans his excellent value for money.
I have had my carpet on the 690SEL replaced by him and with the assistance of Michael (Styria).

Brent also did some fantastic work on my Silver Spur.
And some work on my 220S Ponton

You would do not do any wrong with him.

B

BAR

You certainly won't regret getting Brent to do any of the interior trimmming.

From bottom to top, carpets, dash, seats, boot... he's definitely the man to do it for you in Sydney.

OP
F

flutes

Thanks guys - this project has been put on hold temporarily while I've been sorting out other issues, primarily a sunroof leak I found and a service where the upper control arms, new brake pads and a bunch of other stuff set me back financially on what I was going to be spending this year...