MB Classic- W116 buying advice

More threads by 260ebenz

Andrew280SEL

Good read. Rust is definitely something to look for on these cars. Having said that, the worst example I've personally seen, which was my father's 450SE he bought sometime in the 90's from King Island (so it had been around salt water surroundings a lot...) got rusted out something terrible, but it was mostly cosmetic. Structually, it still seemed quite sound (and no Freddy Flintstone moments of feet through the floor either :p ).

Oversize

Grand Master
Interesting, but hasn't this been posted before?

A few problems where they seem to suggest the W116 was the first S Class, when really it was not.

Their description of rust issues is poor and they seem to dance around topics and not get to the point. Their picture of the inner wheel arch is an example of a poor repair where the inner guard should be body coloured.

To me the article lacks lots of information for the prospective buyer and I guess that's why we're here! ;):rolleyes:

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master

A few problems where they seem to suggest the W116 was the first S Class, when really it was not.

Their description of rust issues is poor and they seem to dance around topics and not get to the point. Their picture of the inner wheel arch is an example of a poor repair where the inner guard should be body coloured.

To me the article lacks lots of information for the prospective buyer and I guess that's why we're here! ;):rolleyes:

Yeah I forgot I posted the W116 article before thanks Mark.

BTW the 190SL featured in the magazine lives here in AUS.

Helmet

Connoisseur

So what was the first S Class ?

WiSeGuYY

LOL i agree with mark 100 percent , i honestly think the first s class was born with introducing the w108/109 .
regards

TAREK

BenzBoy

Grand Master
“The Mercedes-Benz S-Class has a long and rich history”, explains Michael Bock, Head of Mercedes-Benz Classic. “The term S-Class was introduced officially 40 years ago in 1972, together with the 116 model series. However the continuous line of ancestors goes back much further – right back to the origins of the Mercedes brand at the beginning of the 20th century”.
Taken from the website - http://www5.mercedes-benz.com/en/ There you have it officially.
Regards,
Brian

Helmet

Connoisseur
“The Mercedes-Benz S-Class has a long and rich history”, explains Michael Bock, Head of Mercedes-Benz Classic. “The term S-Class was introduced officially 40 years ago in 1972, together with the 116 model series. However the continuous line of ancestors goes back much further – right back to the origins of the Mercedes brand at the beginning of the 20th century”.
Taken from the website - http://www5.mercedes-benz.com/en/ There you have it officially.
Regards,
Brian

:D Yes, thats the way I remember, never heard a W108 referred to as an S class.

Styria

The Godfather
For some little while now, attempts have become more prevalent to credit the 'S' Class terminology to models produced prior to the introduction of the W116 range. I have always been under the impression (and I suspect correctly so) that the S Class range started in 1972.

The previous model, the 108 range commencing with 250 engines, were known as the "New Generation" models at the time of their introduction. Just as an aside, about the only really useful information is the fact that the sill panels were painted a matt black colour. I haven't always been sure of this feature. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
For some little while now, attempts have become more prevalent to credit the 'S' Class terminology to models produced prior to the introduction of the W116 range. I have always been under the impression (and I suspect correctly so) that the S Class range started in 1972.

The previous model, the 108 range commencing with 250 engines, were known as the "New Generation" models at the time of their introduction. Just as an aside, about the only really useful information is the fact that the sill panels were painted a matt black colour. I haven't always been sure of this feature. Regards Styria
It's matt-black softcoat - it is resistant to stone chips and can be repainted with a brush. Very, very practical. And you are quite right about the S Class starting with the W116.
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
Whilst I'd love to believe the W116 was the first 'S' Class, how does one explain W109 300SEL 6.3, or any of the earlier models with a 'S' designation??? :rolleyes::confused:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, I had never heard of the 300SEL 6.3 being referred to as an 'S' Class. Sure, Mercedes used the 'S' letter on cars fitted with carburettors, such as the 250S, the 280S, or even the 220S. The lettering changed to SE or SEL (lwb model) when the engines were fitted with an injection pump. Take two of the 300 models - first, the FInnie 300 from 1962-1966. They were only ever designated 300SE - maybe even SEL, but I am not sure on that one. However, did they ever have a 300S ? You will find the answer is "NO".

There was indeed a 300S Adenauer - say about 1959.However, I believe that terminology only applied to a 300Coupe, or possibly 300Convertible. In those instances, the "S'" referred to "Super" or "Special" - those models were fitted with an injection pump. Conversely, I have never heard of a four door 300S Adenauer. Sorry Mark, it's a long winded explanation, but as I have previously said that the tendency nowadays is to refer to earlier "S - Class" models which is incorrect. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
The M100 members didn't believe the W116 was the first S Class and made me reconsider what I'd previously believed. But it doesn't mean they're right either. I'll hit the books and see what I can find. I do remember seeing something a long time ago

Oversize

Grand Master
I still haven't found the records I was looking for, but I managed to find something better; recently posted elsewhere. W116 was indeed the first S-Class and prior to their release the larger cars were only referred to as saloons.

Here's a very nice booklet produced for the release of the new S-Class and it features the cars origins back to the very first saloon:

www.mb-qr.com/0b4

Oversize

Grand Master
Just to put this one to bed:

I found the document I was looking for. I was a MB (Australia) apprentice and have a document from Mercedes Benz Service Training dated 22/06/1988 which states all the common sales designations at the time. It confirms 'S' = Saloon. S-Class was indeed used for the first time on the W116!

BTW the 'S' designation was first used in 1949 on the W136 170S. :)

6.9forever

Noble
S comes from the German die Spitzenklasse, meaning top class (Topklasse, get it? Heh heh, a play on words known to this forum's founding father who is well known to many of us). S also attributed to die Sonderklasse, meaning special class although not so accurate an explanation. Spitzenklasse cited more usually as source of the S of which W116 the first. S also used for Sport in SL model (Sport Leicht).

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, I do think that it is good to put this one to bed. Interestingly, the Mercedes Heritage Centre still refers to "earlier" S-Class models, and I don't have the heart to correct them.

Talking about names and designations, here is another. The venerable M100 - 600, nowadays referred to as "GROSSER". Get it ? There is no such word in German. The word Grosser on its own is meaningless. You can say "Der Grosse" (masculine), or "Die Grosse" (feminine), obviously meaning "Large", but you always need additional or descriptive words, such as Der, Die, Das, er ist gross, sie ist gross, es ist gross (neuter), but gramatically speaking you cannot substitute "Gross" with Grosser. There is another deriative, and that is "Groesser", however meaning "Bigger". So maybe someone should correct the powers that be. :D Regards Styria