Classic vs Current in 30+ Years

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
I'm wondering how well an SLS will age and what they'll be like in 30+ years? Being that most parts are unrepairable (computers and all plastics), will parts be so insanely expensive that they're almost worthless? The W140 V12 almost falls into this category now....

If that's the case it'll be a damn shame because I'd say the bodies will outlast the supporting systems that keep them on the road. Unlike the W116 it'll be unlikely they'll rust badly as they've eliminated many water traps and provided far better corrosion protection.

We could see many good looking cars in the future that'll fail to function as intended. Consider all the airbags.... Taking it to an extreme how many will be converted to crate smallblock Chevs?? :eek::eek::eek: Will this also apply to all performance cars; not just Mercedes?

Could you then say that everything pre 1980 will be forever a Classic and post 1980 will be future junk?

Helmet

Connoisseur
I'd say up to late 80's after that you have described it well. Manufacturers are only interested in selling new cars now, not keeping old ones one the road. Having said that I cant wait to buy an SLS for 20K:D

Styria

The Godfather
Helmet, you will be able to in about three to four years - by that time, warranties would have run out, and the cars will just sit idle after a mechanical breakdown because their (new - 2nd or 3rd) owners will not have the money to purchase the requisite spare parts. :D Don't forget, in my opinion, most owners will only keep their SLS for a couple of years. They have sufficient wealth on their side to become bored even with an SLS, and will look for excitement with other makes and models. Make sense ? So hang in there, your day to shine in the sun will come.

On a more sombre note, Oversize does make some quite valid observations, although having said all that, and considering that Household Electronics are becoming cheaper by the month, one would think that Automotive Electronics should follow a similar path. Just think when the day will come where your i.Phone will be able to perform all computer functions, including fixing cars, and it will only be the size of an ear phone.......well perhaps. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
There are people who will set up a laptop in your car to replace the operations of the main ECU when it fails but how far they can go in linking this to all the operations of the CAN bus is another question. There are also a number of people in odd parts of the world who are able to repair your ECU but they can be hard to track down.
For example, I had the ECU of the Spirit repaired and updated by a person in the UK and there is another in the US doing the same job. There is also a person here in Sydney starting a similar service. The RREC of the UK is paying to reverse-engineer the electronics of Spirits/Spurs etc. but I am not aware of any such venture for Benz or other products.
Rolls-Royce claim they will supply and service the electronics of all Goodwood products forever -but how long is that?
Imagine buying a new Bugatti and finding the electronics can't be fixed!! That is not so silly - do you recall NASA advertising for old 486 chipsets so they could repair one of their last rockets?
I imagine an S Class will become a disposable item in time - and that is a scary thought. Perhaps we should all be buying Great Wall cars and recycling them at the end of 2 years (assuming you aren't first killed or maimed in a crash...)
Meanwhile, I'll be able to motor on in my PII with a gas converter and shale oil in the sump.....:D
All jokes aside, this has the potential to ruin the old car hobby business and make pre-computer cars very valuable. Suddenly a 1956 VW looks like a real proposition. :eek:
Regards,
Brian
BTW - I've just remembered that in 30 years I probably won't be in a position to worry about this....

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Unless you're a true enthusiast, I doubt most people would bother trying to search the world for a computer tech capable of repairing sealed ECUs.

For MB I think the trouble started with the W126 and got far worse with the W140. I can only imagine how fragile all those underbonnet interconnectors might be now....

So if I buy a later (Euro) car I won't hang onto it for long. And I'll be sticking with the W116s, because from what I hear the computers in them are as basic as it gets. And I'm told they can easily (and cheaply) be repaired.

So what ECUs are in a W116 anyway? Igniter and cruise on Kjet? Djet has an additional one in the LF kickpanel? So worst case it's 3 that aren't linked....