Looking For Help Swapping Radios

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I am looking for a cluey person with Benz experience and understanding of electricals to help me fit a radio/speakers in my 690SEL.

I don't want to go to a radio fitter (Strathfield, etc...) as I feel uncomfortable with someone not familiar with W116s.

I would rather pay a a Forumist for their help.

Please feel free to respond here or PM me...

Thanks

PS (I am in Sydney)

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Jurg at Auto Acoustica is the only person I would have work on the SSII and he did a superb job. He also upgraded the ML with Boston speakers and it makes a huge difference. Let me know if you want his number.
Regards,
Benzboy

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, I have a couple of guys in mind that are pretty good tradesmen. There is nothing complex in installing a Radio/Hi Fi system, in the 116's, including the 6.9. Speak to me again about it.

With your car, one can strike two problems, viz. - there is very little room in the space that the radio fits into on account of the steel craddle that acts as a base for your heater control/fresh air vent levers, and some of the more upmarket systems have cables and filters running everywhere, but usually they start from where the radio is, and that is the area where you have restricted space.

In addition, the timber fittings are of a very delicate nature and you can't have ham fisted guys getting inthere and breaking things. I wish we would have discussed this at our BBQ. Give me a call if you can. BTW, I have that speedo ready for you. Regards Styria

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks Godfather.

Will call you later this morning;)

Michel, I have a couple of guys in mind that are pretty good tradesmen. There is nothing complex in installing a Radio/Hi Fi system, in the 116's, including the 6.9. Speak to me again about it.

With your car, one can strike two problems, viz. - there is very little room in the space that the radio fits into on account of the steel craddle that acts as a base for your heater control/fresh air vent levers, and some of the more upmarket systems have cables and filters running everywhere, but usually they start from where the radio is, and that is the area where you have restricted space.

In addition, the timber fittings are of a very delicate nature and you can't have ham fisted guys getting inthere and breaking things. I wish we would have discussed this at our BBQ. Give me a call if you can. BTW, I have that speedo ready for you. Regards Styria

B

BAR

Hi Michel

I know well how to install radios in the W116, having done the job in my own and also completly pulling apart the interior to replace the original velour [tan colour] with a leather interior.

I have some spare time at present and would be happy to do the work for you and also advise on the nature and type of replacement units.

Your most important decision is based upon 'originality', that is many would like to preserve the period design of the vehicle and go for a Becker unit [new models in period design], which are very expensive relative to the value of the car. If that doesn't trouble you, then there are many modern units that work well.

I live in Bella Vista and can be called on 0425 270911. Brian.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

TJ 450

If you wanted serious quality, you could go for a modern Becker, Nakamichi or similar. The only complication would be with speakers, as it usually is. IMHO the positioning of the speakers in the front, although they are 4" is nice for stereo imaging.

Tim

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If you wanted serious quality, you could go for a modern Becker, Nakamichi or similar. The only complication would be with speakers, as it usually is. IMHO the positioning of the speakers in the front, although they are 4" is nice for stereo imaging.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I agree, but I am after a medium quality sound and a unit that will not fall apart on me in a few months.

I will have speakers in the dash (4-5 inch) and probably uses a set up that BAR has which is a generic box that will accept a 5-6 inch speaker and a tweater.

All up maximum spend has to be below between $300-400 (and less if possible)

TJ 450

I now have a Kenwood unit in the 450, which is slightly "riced", but doesn't detract too much in terms of styling. It was less than $150 and sounds quite acceptable with a pair of two-way 4" speakers in the dash (Soundstream). I placed some dacron acoustic damping material behind to reduce that annoying boom. These speakers were $200 for the pair with separate 6db/oct crossovers and the tweeters integrate reasonably well IMHO (unlike most cheap car speakers). I have a HIFI system at home that is well out of Budget territory and this system in my car is musical enough that I am prepared to accept the compromises. :)

Tim

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I now have a Kenwood unit in the 450, which is slightly "riced", but doesn't detract too much in terms of styling. It was less than $150 and sounds quite acceptable with a pair of two-way 4" speakers in the dash (Soundstream). I placed some dacron acoustic damping material behind to reduce that annoying boom. These speakers were $200 for the pair with separate 6db/oct crossovers and the tweeters integrate reasonably well IMHO (unlike most cheap car speakers). I have a HIFI system at home that is well out of Budget territory and this system in my car is musical enough that I am prepared to accept the compromises. :)

Tim

That is the level I am looking at...;)

Simply because the 690SEL gets hardly driven (I can't justify big dollars spent) and..... no matter what you do, you'll never get the right acoustics in it at highway speeds (wind and road noise constantly)