Right back door jammed shut- HELP

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Had a problem that occurred without warning on bb's 6.9. I closed the right rear door the other day, and when I came to re-open it - nothing, absolutly nothing. Pulling the outside lever provided no response, same with the interior lever - again nothing, tried to push /pull the button (immovable), started car, operated central locking which worked on the other three doors, but had absolutely no effect on the central locking button and opening/closing operation of the door.

Everything was jammed solid, and stuck. What to do next ? Would anyone have any clues, solutions, anything at all that will enable that door to be opened. I mean, it's a situation that just has to be remedied and rectified, and investigated. But how ? Regards Styria

Last edited:

John S

Wow, apart from almost destroying the door liner, what other choice do you have? So many important screws are impossible to get to with the door closed. I shall be interested in what eventuates.

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
How about finding the answer on one of the other Mercedes Benz forums around the planet if we in Topklasse are not able to come up with the solution to the problem? e.g. Benzworld.org "Ask a mechanic online" I have found a mechanic's handbook online in the MBclub.co.uk Sure, I know you have all the printed material already, you made a copy for me! I have also found the handbook that relates to the removal and installation of the FRONT door lock. Go to: HANDBOOK.W116.ORG and look at the CHASSIS AND BODY MANUAL DOORS - 250 - REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF DOOR LOCK. It gives procedure and illustrations.

Last edited:
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
How about finding the answer on one of the other Mercedes Benz forums around the planet if we in Topklasse are not able to come up with the solution to the problem? e.g. Benzworld.org "Ask a mechanic online"

Hi SEL 69L - that's not a lot of help nor is it going to open the door ! We need to do better than that. Regards Styria

Lukas

I would disassemble either the other rear passenger door or the same door on another car to see how the mechanism works; especially with a view to seeing what can be done by sticking wire etc down the gap between the window and the door panel on the jammed door.

When you pull the exterior or interior handle, can you feel or hear the mechanism moving?

What happens if you sit in the car, pull the inside hadle and then lean against the door?

Can you wind down the window? Be careful though - if something is jammed it may lie in the path of the window, causing the glass to be scratched or even broken.

Is there something stuck between the door and frame? Seatbelt?

What if you try to lift the door while opening it?

s class

I would start by removing the chromed trim around the interior lock release pull handle. That can be done with the door closed. Next try unscrewing the interior armrest. The foremost screw should be no problem, the rear might require a stubby screwdriver. With the handle out of the way, you may be able to look inside and feel if the linkage rods are disconnected or some such.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Lukas - activating both exterior and interior handles produces absolutely no positive action - there is just nothing happening. The window can still be operated both ways without any malfunction, nor is there any physical interference with its movement. Leaning against the door also produced no positive. .....hmm....

S-Class - we removed both the black plastic covering and armrest without achieving any positive action. We also pulled on the activating rod, again without success.

It seems quite clear that the door trim panel requires removal - the question is 'How' ? Any further suggestions ? Regards Styria

s class

Is it possible there is a problem with the child-lock feature?

Can you look at another door to see exactly where the little lever is located, and then try and probe for it in the problem door with a wire or tool?

Otherwise, I hate to say it, do you have a spare of the basketweave door insert in that colour?

-bb-

Noble
I really hope a solution is come up with for obvious reasons. I cant help picturing a door trim having to be cut to shreds :(

Really makes one question old car ownership, especially when it spends so much time getting #### fixed... although Styria will vouch for me doing this whenever it needs repairing. Once I have it back, it's the best thing on four wheels again.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Really makes one question old car ownership, especially when it spends so much time getting #### fixed... although Styria will vouch for me doing this whenever it needs repairing. Once I have it back, it's the best thing on four wheels again.

I know what you mean :eek:

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
All right, it's time to be fair dinkum and relieve everyone, including myself, of getting heart failure. This was a joint effort between Parks and yours truly, and I need to emphasize that you would not want to experience this problem with either front door. To fix a similar problem on those, the door trim would be destroyed - I reckon.

Anyway, down to tin tacks. Quite frankly, I had visions of having to destroy the trim panel, but I pinned my hopes on disconnecting both hinges from the leading front edge of the door itself. That was my idea. Then, of course, in order to remove the door panel, you need to remove the front and rear trim strips first (to push the board upwards), as well as the armrest (no problem), ash tray (no problem) and the chrome trim piece at the rear near the lock. In order to gain access to that part, one needs to remove the rear seat. So, out it came - it wasn't easy either, be we got it after a lot of lifting, silicone spray, pulling and cursing - believe it or not. That was Parks' idea.

Unfortunately, removing the hinge bolts only allows about three millimeters of movement of the door, but just enough to peel back the door rubber which then reveals the tiny screw that secures the front up and down trim panel. We managed to remove that by judicious 'leverage' which enabled us to move the board panel in an upward direction despite the fact that the rear trim panel was still in place. As soon as the door board was out of the way, the door mechanism worked again ! Nothing was damaged, everything was saved, the door board is back in place and one would think that nothing had ever gone wrong. Why the mechanism jammed in the first place, we have absolutely no idea. All we know is that it works.

Whilst the back seat was out, we reglued the black soundproofing material under and behind the back seat, got rid of all the rubbish, hoovered the floor and rear carpets and I am now a happy man. :D :D Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Whilst the back seat was out, we reglued the black soundproofing material under and behind the back seat, got rid of all the rubbish, hoovered the floor and rear carpets and I am now a happy man. :D :D Regards Styria

How much did u collect in loose coins from under the back seat :p

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
How much did u collect in loose coins from under the back seat :p

I need to be fair dinkum, I need to be honest, I need to be true to bb - I found 20 cents, and it is now in my pocket. Offered half to Parks, but he just scowled at me. ;) Regards Styria

s class

You might have somehow recovered some money for the time lost if you had sold tickets for this spectacle. I'm having visions of the two of you crouched in the back, heaving away at the back seat swearing all the while.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Ryan, you're that close to the truth, it isn't funny. That back seat just didn't want to move, and the further upwards we pushed it, the more reluctant it was to let go. In the end, the swearing won the day. :D Regards Styria

-bb-

Noble
bb: I empathise. The emotions of 6.9 ownership reflect that of stockmarket volatility! I have been through it all. I have owned my car 9 years now.

I tell ya, if it was anything less than a 6.9, it would have left my ownership long before this.

Andrew280SEL

Wow, I don't envy the job you and Parks had to do Styria (but then again you guys are pros) ;)
I had trouble once getting a jammed door off an old Falcon, much less one of these things...:D

Very nice work fixing it all up without having to cause any damage.