Your advice?

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Gentlemen, I need your advice please. My Spirit II has rubber matting material about 4" wide running over the indoor sill. The driver's side has scuffed with age so in preperation for fitting a new piece I have removed the old which is stuck down with contact adhesive and them mounted with two polished chrome strips.
That was the easy part...I have scraped off most of the old contact adhesive using a nylon scraper but how can I remove the rest without damaging the paint underneath, please?
What chemical will disolve old contact adhesive or soften it for total removal. One speck of it remaining will not give me the totally smooth finish I require of the new rubber.
Regards,
Benz-Boy
PS: Where else would one ask such a question, confident that one will get a knowledgable reply? :D

OzBenzHead

Master
BB: Don't know what kind of paint your Royce has, but on all my older Benzes I've caused no apparent damage by using eucalyptus oil for removing unwanted sticker-glue and other stubborn crud. Available from pharmacies and "health food" stores in tiny bottles.

Works particularly well on fridge doors. If there's somewhere you can do a test patch ...

Styria

The Godfather
Well guys, I would have had some very useful advice, but it has turned out that I can add nothing to the conversation other than that I have learned something as well. Old glue, particularly from masking paper, can be very stubborn to remove. Thanks guys. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well guys, I would have had some very useful advice, but it has turned out that I can add nothing to the conversation other than that I have learned something as well. Old glue, particularly from masking paper, can be very stubborn to remove. Thanks guys. Regards Styria
OK - I'll take the bait. What would your advice have been?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
OK - I'll take the bait. What would your advice have been?
Regards,
Benz-Boy

....nowhere near as good as what's been advocated on that British website and the boys that have used Glycerine. we struggled the other day with removing traces of masking tape glue from the thick plastic rear window that's been fitted to the Allemano bodied Fiat 750 - we used everything, including Prepsol, Kero and some other solutions that Parks was desperate to try out. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Petrol. Makes the old contact adhesive shrivel faster than an ice cube in a microwave...:D
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Hi BenzBoy, I shudder at the thought of using Petrol - just about too volatile a mixture. Furthermore, not too certain how the plastic would have reacted and to resew another window into the soft top would have taken at least another day. In the end, whatever we did worked well, but did it take some careful doing ! Phew ! Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Sorry Styria, I am not suggesting that you use petrol on the plastic. I found it wokred a treat (as does mineral turps) on on painted surfaces. Yes, it is volatile so be careful. Put out the rollie before you use it.....;)
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Sorry Styria, I am not suggesting that you use petrol on the plastic. I found it wokred a treat (as does mineral turps) on on painted surfaces. Yes, it is volatile so be careful. Put out the rollie before you use it.....;)
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Hi BenzBoy, not for one moment did I think that you were recommending the use of petrol on the plastic. Also, I would probably be reluctant to use it on paintwork and, of course on glass, it takes an eternity to remove the oily type of stain it leaves behind.
Also, GN - what happened ? I know I am digressing, but one of the highlights of my day was to lay eyes on Gurney Nutting - why was she not there ? Maybe the All British Day this coming Sunday ? I was quite disappointed.

This All British Day, Sunday 30th - it really promises to be a "corker" - how many from 'Topklasse' likely to be attending ? Regards Styria

I know there is the Prince of Arabia (Michel), SEL 69L, BenzBoy with his Gurney Nutting - oh yeah ! :D), any body else ?

John S

I intended to spend a couple of hours at the ALL British Day, but unfortunately our family program has changes and I shall be heading up past Newcastle to visit my daughter and grandkids. Enjoy the day, hope you see a number of Mk 4, 5, VII, VIII. IX and X Jaguars there, I did not see more than one at Eastern Creek last weekend!

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Eatern Creek is not traditionally a big day for Rolls-Royce and Bentley folk as it is so close to our VERY big day of All British this coming Sunday. Yes, Styria, the Phantom II will be there as will the Spirit. Do come past and say hello.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Styria

The Godfather
Eatern Creek is not traditionally a big day for Rolls-Royce and Bentley folk as it is so close to our VERY big day of All British this coming Sunday. Yes, Styria, the Phantom II will be there as will the Spirit. Do come past and say hello.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Not only will I come past to say hello, but I also expect to be entertained by means of a glass of ice cold champers and Steve's inimitable wit and good humour. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Not only will I come past to say hello, but I also expect to be entertained by means of a glass of ice cold champers and Steve's inimitable wit and good humour. Regards Styria

Er, would you settle for a cuppa?:D
Actually, come to think of it; maybe you should buy and work on a Shadow. That way we could sign you up to join the Club and you could discuss the merits of various hydraulic oils with the cognoscenti.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

Last edited: