That sagging feeling

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Ever wondered what's going on underneath that driver's seat? Why does it sag so much? These were spares that I disassembled for (some) parts.

Broken springs where someone's attempted a repair:

CIMG6304.jpg

CIMG6312.jpg

CIMG6305.jpg

CIMG6311.jpg

Note the difference in the height between left and right sides (around 70mm)!

I know MB sold heavy duty bases at one point and I'd suggest they had twice the number of springs inside. Does anyone know if the left and right are interchangeable and whether the W116 bases could be replaced with W126 ones? If my memory serves me well I don't think the W126 had as many seat issues as the W116...

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mark the bases are interchangeable i had it done to my car in 2002 but now both bases are stuffed as i am not small. I have been told by a trimmer over gere that he can repair the base and add more springs so i will go down that path when i get around to doing interior. I am coming over east for christmas with the family in coffs i may look for a new job while there :D

mrkozzy

Never finished
Ah the Mercedes Benz drivers seat "CURSE".
I read somewhere about the various methods people have used in trying to fix this issue. Its surprising how few "springs or metal bars' need to be broken for the seat to collapse on one side. (1 will do it).
One of the to reasons I bought a whole donor car was for issues such as this. Last year I just replaced the entire seat and voila'.....problem solved. Except that 4 months later the replacement seat broke in exactly the same position!!
I think in the past it was worth repairing these seats because of the expense of trying to replace them. Nowadays, I believe it's probably more cost effective to just buy a good seat and change it over entirely. (There seems, to be no shortage of 116's being parted)
I'm discussing buying another entire seat from a member ($20) this weekend, and I'll get an upholsterer to change over the skins. The seat I'm buying is blue and mine are beige. I'm assuming I can't do the skin change over, however if I can, then that'll save some money as well.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mark, I am pretty certain that Motec 6.9 is correct in stating that left and right are interchangeable. We ourselves have repaired and repadded seat bases with a better than average result - good enough to be comfortable rather than slewing off to the side. Mercedes did produce a stronger base, but to find one is another matter. Kozzy is right when he says that it is good to have a donor car as long, of course, it has some good and useful parts that can be used. Mind you though, contrary to what he talks about plenty of cars around for spares, in Sydney this has changed in the last eighteen months. They are becoming quite rare. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
By the way Mark i dont think you should ever say that sagging feeling to your partner . Thay might take it the wrong way if the righteous brothers are playing in the back ground :eek:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I think it's also in the design of the 'sideways' springs versus the upright ones.

It gives it more of a chance to snap if overloaded, while the upright springs would simply compress.