300SE flat battery!

More threads by 260ebenz

Oversize

Grand Master
Tony's right, a 23-year-old car is bound to have a few niggles.

I told you that 200 Kompressor would keep your hands clean ;)

Don't get despondant, Tim, and dont panic into replacing parts or looking for an expensive fix straight away. Spend a bit of time getting some help to diagnose the problems. Then work out the most practical action.

It's all part of the fun of owning an "older" car.

What he said!!! A new car just isn't the same.... :D You won't get the satisfaction of fixing anything, if there's nothing to fix!!

Tony66_au

I feel the need to add that in all the years I have dealt with new and used parts suppliers MB Spares has been the easiest and by far the most reliable, An added bonus is that they are usually also an excellent price and the knowledge they impart is priceless.

But above all they practise full disclosure, For example I rang and ordered some bits they did not have in stock. They told me they didn't have them but would get them and there would possibly be a day or 2 delay and as I was fine with this I ordered the parts and 2 days later they arrived on my doorstep.

Tim's posts could be better constructed (Sorry Tim) too as they do come across as a bit of a whinge although he freely admitted that he had left the doors open and the ign on I find that even simple issues read as if they were major saga's which actually frustrates me a bit.

For what its worth I did a timing belt and at the same time did seals on the crank and cam as the cam seal was weeping and although I washed the cam belt cover the car leaked oil in tiny amounts for a week or so after from the belly pan and crossmember.

Tony

Oversize

Grand Master
These certainly aren't major issues and once the niggles are gone Tim will have a very nice car to enjoy well into the future.

If all I had to worry about was a missing globe, flat battery and a drip on the ground, it'd be happy days!!!! :);):eek:

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
My apology's to John and everyone here on the TK Forum I should have done a better job with my posts in regards to the battery, oil leak and boot light issues.

I should have made my post for clearer and easy to understand in future I will do so.

I appreciate John's opinion and also comments from fellow TK Members thank you.

Update in regards to the car as follows:

-Bootlight reconnected new globe job cost $5 took no time at all.

-Panel gap left hand side of the bonnet repaired latch need to be lubricated and the bonnet now closes perfectly.

-Booked the 300SE in at my Mechanics tomorrow to have a look at the oil leak and I will wait to hear what the Mechanic has to say about the oil leak.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:

Lukas

From my point of view, it pays to be familiar with the "disconnected battery" procedure for your car, i.e. what will happen when the battery is dis- and then re-connected. Things like knowing radio codes, knowing how to get the alarm / immob back to normal, setting the clock (wrong clocks annoy me immensly) and for fancier cars things like re-calibrating power seats and all sorts of fancy things manufacturers think of. That way, when you have to do a battery swap, you know what to expect and how to fix it. Thus, keeping a battery in a car and connected while charging it saves some effort, but it's gonna get disconnected eventually, so you want to know what you're up for.

Re battery drains, the green machine had an old school flashing light (fake alarm) in the console that came on when the car was off. This car also had a new or near-new battery on purchase (alarm bells), but drained it over about 2 weeks. I reluctantly pulled the console out, and found all sorts of suspect wiring, including ignition-on wires connected to always-on wires. Ripped all of that out and it's behaving well now. Nice thing about old mercs is that the original wires, plugs and switchgear are thick and meaty - the new stuff isn't, so it's easy to tell what's what.

The battery later went flat again due to the car not being started for about a month while the dismantled 450 was blocking it in - down to 1.5v! I think the previous issues had also affected its capacity somewhat. My $30 Aldi smart charger wouldn't charge it as it was too low, so I hit it with the old-fashioned charger (just constant 12V) for a few hours, and then it had enough jigglies in it for the smart charger to take over. Took about a day to get it happy. Battery in the car (lazy) but disconnected while charging.

Car has again been running well since, but the battery maxes out at about 12.8V - ideally this would be 13.3 or so.

Lukas

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Sorry forget to mention thank you to John the window swtiches arrived today.

-Remove the old switch and fit the replacement switch John sent me then the back right hand passengers p/window will work from the passengers p/window switch located on the door trim.

-Get the Auto Electrician to do a load test on the battery as well.

Cheers.

E200K

Phew, I may get some sleep again now. This new car of Tim's is killing me ;)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Tim at the end of the day you look like you have a great car that will give you pleasure for many years to come. If as stated it has a few items that need to be rectified that is to be expected on a 22 year old car . I have bought parts from MbSpares in the past and will continue to do so in the future . And Tim if i could find a S Class that looks as good as yours does at the price you bought yours i would . Do i think you got a bargian yes i do it looks great . So with that happy motoring Tim look after your new toy as i know you will and happy hunting in competition:D

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Hi Tim at the end of the day you look like you have a great car that will give you pleasure for many years to come. If as stated it has a few items that need to be rectified that is to be expected on a 22 year old car . I have bought parts from MbSpares in the past and will continue to do so in the future . And Tim if i could find a S Class that looks as good as yours does at the price you bought yours i would . Do i think you got a bargian yes i do it looks great . So with that happy motoring Tim look after your new toy as i know you will and happy hunting in competition:D

Thanks very much Motec.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Battery has been load tested carried out by Auto Elec and he gave the battery a minimal pass and said I should get a few more months out of the battery.

Back r/hand passengers power window switch fitted p/window goes up & down no probs at all now, thanks to John for the switch cheers John!

11am tomorrow the 300SE is booked in at the Mechanics to have a look at the oil leak.

All in all a good result today time to put my feet up and relax!

Cheers.
:D

E200K

I'm not a gambling man but I suspect that this thread could go at least 12 pages.

mathew

Young Tim I will say this only once so please please read it and take it on board. I advised you about the pitfalls of a vintage Mercedes and for good reason, unless you can fix some things yourself they are great, if not they can be costly.

The car you have brought has clearly been well loved and not thrashed, in fact given it's age, it is well above the average W126 and I believe you have brought a good one. You need to think about things before jumping on the panic wagon and it certainly isn't good form to suggest poor form on someone's behalf. I can assure you that unfounded or poorly worded statements, eventually brought the NSW forum to an end, given the litigious nature we have these days.

A 23 year old car will have small leaks, it will have small niggles that's what gives them character mate, you have brought a beautiful old car. So like I told you the day you picked it up, go and do a course in the basics so you can fix some things yourself. A mechanic can pick a customer that panics straight away and it makes them a lot of money my friend. A forum is not the place to hold a private conversation and yes I seem firm on this and for good reason. I myself have been the victim of unfounded comments that were published without any right of reply. A Gentleman would always contact the seller first, not after the fact.

Enjoy your car mate and remember it's too old to be perfect but will reward you every time you shut the door and drive the old boy down the road. It's a lovely old car sit back and envoy the drive!

Cheers Mat.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Young Tim I will say this only once so please please read it and take it on board. I advised you about the pitfalls of a vintage Mercedes and for good reason, unless you can fix some things yourself they are great, if not they can be costly.

The car you have brought has clearly been well loved and not thrashed, in fact given it's age, it is well above the average W126 and I believe you have brought a good one. You need to think about things before jumping on the panic wagon and it certainly isn't good form to suggest poor form on someone's behalf. I can assure you that unfounded or poorly worded statements, eventually brought the NSW forum to an end, given the litigious nature we have these days.

A 23 year old car will have small leaks, it will have small niggles that's what gives them character mate, you have brought a beautiful old car. So like I told you the day you picked it up, go and do a course in the basics so you can fix some things yourself. A mechanic can pick a customer that panics straight away and it makes them a lot of money my friend. A forum is not the place to hold a private conversation and yes I seem firm on this and for good reason. I myself have been the victim of unfounded comments that were published without any right of reply. A Gentleman would always contact the seller first, not after the fact.

Enjoy your car mate and remember it's too old to be perfect but will reward you every time you shut the door and drive the old boy down the road. It's a lovely old car sit back and envoy the drive!

Cheers Mat.

Mathew thank you for what you have said rest assured I will take it onboard.

Mathew I have known for you many years and I have said this before and I will repeat it again I am most grateful for your opinion and everyone else who expressed there opinion well guys I say thank you very much.

I did hit the panic button in regards to the niggles with the car and I have to realise it is a 22 year old car and a car for it's age is very good condition and has been well looked after.

I am very lucky and fortunate to own and drive such a wonderful car we have to appreciate the finer things in life and as I said I am fortunate to do so.

I just would like to apologise to John I am sorry John I meant no disrespect directed at you in any way John.

My wish is for the ongoing good nature that is the TK Forum that is what I like best and enjoy about this great Forum and all who are involved with the Forum.

I intend to enjoy the car Mathew there is no doubt about that and what a great car it is the smile is still on my face Mathew!

Thank you very much and best wishes to all,

Tim.

Last edited:

Helmet

Connoisseur

Cheers Mat.

Very well said

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Mathew very well said and with that may i suggest this post be closed . And Tim feel free to start a new post with your new addventure with your excellent looking car . I have been on the wrong side of bad workshops in the past . So when i find one i can trust who deals fairly and honestly i stay loyal to them mbspares has my loyalty . You should feel proud of your new car i think John did a fine job finding such a well looked after and low millage car for you. If you didnt know the average for a car if it gets to 22 years is 440000km so yours is way above average . Geoff:D

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Hi Mathew very well said and with that may i suggest this post be closed . And Tim feel free to start a new post with your new addventure with your excellent looking car . I have been on the wrong side of bad workshops in the past . So when i find one i can trust who deals fairly and honestly i stay loyal to them mbspares has my loyalty . You should feel proud of your new car i think John did a fine job finding such a well looked after and low millage car for you. If you didnt know the average for a car if it gets to 22 years is 440000km so yours is way above average . Geoff:D

Hello Geoff,

I do agree and I am sure you guys here on the Forum would also agree well I hope so and I hope I am not going out on a limb here, but this post should be closed.

Agreed Geoff the 300SE is a wonderful looking car and drives and handles like one as well and that is what I like in fact LOVE about Mercedes-Benz cars they are made like no other car.

Yes I am a Mercedes Enthusiast or even better a Mercedes nut, I have a passion for Mercedes-Benz I have for many years so did my Dad so I have caught the "MB Bug", thanks Dad love you for that!

Great thing is now I have and drive my very own "Battleship", as Mat knows I have made jokes about "Battleships", I am sure Mat is going to make sure I cop some payback for that OH NO! lol. :D

The positive feedback and comments from you guys here on the Forum and also from Family and Friends in regards to the Mercedes is just great.

Now I know for myself what a great car the W126 really is!

Thanks very much guys and best wishes to you all.

Cheers.