Steering Wheels and Instruments

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Having seen God knows how many cars in the last few weeks, I thought that a pictorial summary may be of interest. You will have to look carefully !

MikeNo1065.jpg

MikeNo1078-1.jpg

MikeNo1064.jpg

MikeNo1047.jpg

MikeNo1066.jpg

MikeNo1068.jpg

MikeNo1069.jpg

Enjoy. Styria - I certainly did and still do.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Sick of them yet. You know, again I closely look at some of the other fittings in general, and if I cast my mind back to both C. F. Mirbach and the Amerang Museum, the feature that really struck a chord with me was the superb finish of all the timber work, and the quality of all the interiors.

Mike056.jpg

Mike047.jpg

Mike404.jpg

This is the 290C Alfa Romeo at Mirbach's.....

Mike402.jpg

...the 4.5 litre Bentley.....it's got to be British, hasn't it.....

Mike401.jpg

...and that's the Horch Cabriolet...

Mike392.jpg

and note the missing horn button - BTW, I did not take it !

Mike394.jpg

I was going to suggest that perhaps the interior of the Horchs may not have been of the same quality as the contemporary Mercedes models of the time. But, having a closer look at the Horch, particularly the one at the Museum, I guess that the dash layout is just different. Regards Styria

s class

One can only dream of owning cars like this. Thanks.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well Michel, they are not contraptions - I am surprised that you are asking this question, seeing that BenzBoy has that Gurney Nutting Roller that ought to have the same , or similar levers, that would probably advance and retard the ignition when starting the car. However, my knowledge is also somewhat limited, so let us invite BenzBoy to clarify the functions of these levers.

Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well Michel, they are not contraptions - I am surprised that you are asking this question, seeing that BenzBoy has that Gurney Nutting Roller that ought to have the same , or similar levers, that would probably advance and retard the ignition when starting the car. However, my knowledge is also somewhat limited, so let us invite BenzBoy to clarify the functions of these levers.

Regards Styria

I thought the levers would be for something like that, but that 'centre' ring???

A bit heavy gauge for a horn ring, don't you think? :rolleyes:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Advance and retard timing on one side.
Hand throttle on the other.
Is the centre ring operative or just an ornament.
Clearly Michel you need to do more driving in real cars!!!! :D:D:D
I know Des is away being busy at the moment but when he returns I am sure he will research this for us -with his usual eye for detail.
Regards,
BenzBoy

oscar

Having looked at just about all your photos styria I'm most impressed with these dash arrangements. Works of art, I'm gobsmacked at the intricate details. Mother of pearl, who'd a thought it could look so good.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Ossie, that's about what I think as well. I was totally surprised at the quality of the interiors both at C. F. Mirbach as well as at the museum. I wish I could go back there tomorrow to have a more 'educated' look at all the exhibits. As I said, the quality of trim, the condition of all switches, carpets, they way they were made - all outstanding.

One exception, to some degree, was the 6.9. It was quite a sound, and straight, car, but it did have a fair bit of the bonnet pad missing, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Ok... to clarify things a little.
These places you visited and the cars on display, are they 'for sale' or in a museum setting for display purposes only?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, as far as C. F. Mirbach are concerned, many cars are owned by them (or so I was told), but they also hold many cars on consignment for presumably wealthy owners who wish to dispose of their cars discreetly and also hold out for top money at the same time.

One of the reason why I was not supposed to take photos initially was that the Company did not wish to have cars displayed for sale over the Internet in order to protect the interests and privacy of owners that did not wish to make it known that their car was for sale. I also have another theory. It is fact that the Company is solely a retailer and they themselves have no staff engaged in any type of work on any of the cars. For instance, I would believe that a well known restoration Company such as KIENLE Automobilfabrik will restore a car and then pass it on to Mirbach to get top dollar. They seem to have the retail networking organized in such manner that they can attract clientele world wide. It is big business.

The Museum on the other hand (Amerang) does not sell cars - certainly not a commercial basis. They may well sell, however, on a confidential basis - I mean, why wouldn't you. if the money was right. I also believe that more than likely quite a number of cars on display are 'loaned' to the museum and this may explain why two of the cars were being wheeled out whilst I was there.

I was singularly impressed with the condition and quality of the cars, the quality of restoration and furnishings. and the spotless condition of the cars as well as the premises. You could have eaten your dinner off the floor. Hope that answers your query. Regards Styria

G

GreaseMonkey

What are the contraptions on the steering wheel?

I will let you have a go driving my Ford Model T when it is done. That will make you unlearn and rethink your driving habits. Start by practising walking in a straight line while chewing gum.........and juggling a chainsaw.
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I will let you have a go driving my Ford Model T when it is done. That will make you unlearn and rethink your driving habits. Start by practising walking in a straight line while chewing gum.........and juggling a chainsaw.
Chris M.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...

You got yourself a deal ;):D

G

GreaseMonkey

Well starting my T is not too bad, it has the later electric start, but you can spin it on the handle if you want to look cool.
But driving it requires you forget all habits, with the handbrake/high/low/gear lever and three pedals, plus the throotle and advance/retard on the steering wheel. And just to make it worse, the pedals are clutch, reverse, brake from left to right.
If I can find a link on one of the T websites about driving I will post it.
If not, just watch an old Laurel and Hardy film.
HooRoo,
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well starting my T is not too bad, it has the later electric start, but you can spin it on the handle if you want to look cool.
But driving it requires you forget all habits, with the handbrake/high/low/gear lever and three pedals, plus the throotle and advance/retard on the steering wheel. And just to make it worse, the pedals are clutch, reverse, brake from left to right.
If I can find a link on one of the T websites about driving I will post it.
If not, just watch an old Laurel and Hardy film.
HooRoo,
Chris M.

I'm not driving that

1FACE.jpg