Question(s) for BenzBoy and Michel

More threads by Des

Des

The unfortunate issues with Ian's 6.9 got me thinking again about the hydro suspension in relation to Bentley's and Rolls Royce cars. I understand these cars also employ a similar system, have ether of you had suspension problems with your RR's?

Be honest now, has your cars ever collapsed on you and bleed suspension fluid everywhere?

I think we can all agree the 6.9's are basically a very reliable and hassle free automobile, bar the suspension. Sure if you replace every single part in it with new parts it would also be trouble free for several years, but for the average 6.9 I don't think that would be a financial option.

Are these cars also prone to similar problems?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The unfortunate issues with Ian's 6.9 got me thinking again about the hydro suspension in relation to Bentley's and Rolls Royce cars. I understand these cars also employ a similar system, have ether of you had suspension problems with your RR's?

Be honest now, has your cars ever collapsed on you and bleed suspension fluid everywhere?

I think we can all agree the 6.9's are basically a very reliable and hassle free automobile, bar the suspension. Sure if you replace every single part in it with new parts it would also be trouble free for several years, but for the average 6.9 I don't think that would be a financial option.

Are these cars also prone to similar problems?

I don't seem to have that problem at all.
My Spur drops a bit at the back after a week (an inch or so) and gets back within seconds of starting it.
I have never seen a Rolls down the way the 6.9 can be, or the way a Citroen goes ...

BenzBoy

Grand Master
No I have to tell you this is not a Rolls-Royce phenomenon because the system is different. The motor drives two pumps which power the braking and suspension system. There are 4 accumulators to hold and regulate the pressure. There are also 4 computer controlled mini-struts (call them shock absorbers if you like but they actually take the weight of the car). Thus the system is different.
It is a dual system for safety but when the warning light on the dash flashes it says 'STOP'. I think it means it too as it indicates the system is loosing pressure. Regular checking of the accumulators is essential but they are quite inexpensive. Where people bugger up the system is by adding brake fluid to the hydraulics - or in the case of earlier Shadows, they add mineral oil when it should be the special R-R fluid. Disaster in the vicinity of $10,000 plus id always the result.
I can email a working diagram to anyone who wants one....I just can't load it here.
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
Des

Des

Thank you to both of you,

I was interested more out of interest, just to compare the two systems,

it would seem the RR system is better engineered.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I would not necessarily say that Des. When the 6.9 system is looked after it is quite phenomenal - either system will give trouble over time with normal wear and tear and then require money to repair. You did not ask how much a set of active suspension struts are so I will tell you and frighten you just a little ($5000+). There is nothing cheap about a Big Benz or a Royce. :eek:
Regards,
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Oh and that does not include rebuilding the two pumps or replacing worn hosing or even trying to fix the rat trap when it leaks. Yes, I kid you not; the return junction and splitter for the hydraulics is officially called the RAT TRAP.
When a Rolls-Royce sits down, it is time to buy a Commodore with the small change...:eek:
Regards,
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Having said that, I have never seen or heard of a Rolls-Royce that has sat down. Maybe because the same system runs the braking...I guess they just run into a tree before they sit. Convenient don't you think? :rolleyes:
Now the gearbox booster and rod system on the Phantom is 100% reliable...... (I think)
Regards,
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Unfortunately that particular Flying Lady may not be quite what she seems. The inscriptions she bears maybe came later than the claimed date...:eek: One must be very careful of Ebay when it comes to R-R and B items as the desirable ones either change hands quietly or go to public auction. Rarely, but indeed sometimes, items of worth make it to Ebay. Just a few days ago M. Michel managed to procure some desirables from the bay. While she may have been a desk ornament, she was possibly never a mascot on P2.
And yes, The Phantom is fun to drive. She has her first public outing this Sunday at the All British Day - along with her companion in crime, Miss Olga's Spirit - so I shall send some photos of them sunning themselves in the late winter sun...:D Michel and family will be there too in The Spur.

Just found on the bay - a paragon of poor taste - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963...QQitemZ170247872297QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6384QQs
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
We regret to inform you that Bling died shortly after midnight.
Live with it Michel? Let me assure you that you can't. Austerity is now all the rage. Green cars, green gas, green electricity, green, green.....green!! The more I write the word the less I like it.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
We regret to inform you that Bling died shortly after midnight.
Live with it Michel? Let me assure you that you can't. Austerity is now all the rage. Green cars, green gas, green electricity, green, green.....green!! The more I write the word the less I like it.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Green?

Not me....

I'll "bling" till the day I die...