Radiator treatment question.

More threads by mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
Hi all. I took out the radiator from my 108 ( I know this is mainly a 116 forum but I am working on a 108 project car and some things can't be that different surely).
Anyhow I had it professionally cleaned and checked, and refitted it, also fitting a new cap and new hoses.
My question is...........for a car that doesn't go anywhere yet, and only gets cranked every few weeks, what suggestions do you have to fill the radiator?
At the moment it only has fresh water.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Mr. Kozzy, I don't think it matters as to what you are doing at the moment as far as the coolant is concerned. My initial reaction was to leave the water only just in case you need to drain the system for some reason. On the other hand, inhibitor will 'search' and find any leaks that the system may have. So really it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.

Regarding the posting of non 116/107 items, it is of absolutely no consequence. The idea is to help and communicate with each other, and that is the aim of topklasse. I like talking cars, motorbikes and anything else you may wish to expand upon, and I am glad you raised your radiator query. Regards Styria

John S

If you have dissimilar metals within the cooling system, such as an iron block but aluminium water pump etc, use an inhibitor. Did Mercedes recommend an inhibitor for your model?

I just looked up some notes I have on that model, and it advises treating the water with a specified anti-rust additive, unfortunately it doesn't list what to use.

Last edited:
OP
mrkozzy

mrkozzy

Never finished
Thanks for the input guys.
I'll compromise between the 2 responses
Think I'll wait for a 'decent' inhibitor, to be reduced at 'SALE' time somewhere but not lose any sleep if it doesn't happen straight away.
cheers