question on doors

More threads by Des

Des

guys just some questions.......

It seems every Mercedes I have owned, driven or opened a door on of this period has doors that don't shut easily, usually the back doors are ok but 9 times out of 10 the drivers door or front passenger door "catches" and will not shut easily. You have to reopen and slam it.

I'm sure everyone here has experienced this before?

What is this caused by? simple use of the car causes it? lack of door lubrication?

On cars I have owned I have sometimes asked a mechanic to fix it, never seems to really go away though.

thoughts?

opinions?

thanks guys

:) Des

116Benz

As in you have to crack a window sometimes to close a door or its like the door has dropped on its hinges?

OP
Des

Des

well its like you shut it and the door is slighty ajar, like it is caught on the door catch.

116Benz

If the rubber seals are in good condition, apparently closing the door it creates an air lock...190E's were the worst culprit.

Martin280s

guys just some questions.......
It seems every Mercedes I have owned, driven or opened a door on of this period has doors that don't shut easily, usually the back doors are ok but 9 times out of 10 the drivers door or front passenger door "catches" and will not shut easily. You have to reopen and slam it.

Even with the window open that happens with my W116 on the passenger side and on the drive side in the W124! I think it's called 'in-built character'!:)

Martin280s

I think its rather annoying, having to reopen the door and slam it harder again. Seems to be a common issue on cars though.....

Yes, it is annoying as I hate having to slam and tick everyone off when they get in the car and insist on slamming the door really hard!

116Benz

I wonder if this is why they had soft close on the 140's, not because of the weight of the doors, but because they would have been a bugger to close...

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Des, I would suggest that it would definitely be a case of ill-adjusted latches. The door hinges on these cars are just about bullet proof in their design and manufacture. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Des,

What Styria says makes sense, but also what 116Benz says is true:
I feel that with all windows shut, there is a strong vacuum that 'forces' one to virtually have to slam the doors.

116Benz

If I recall, the 140 series had self closing doors with little motors that 'pulled' the doors shut once it made contact with the lock mechanism on the pillar.

6.9forever

Noble
Sorry to be pedantic but I think it's a slight positive pressure in the cabin that is eased if you let the air trapped escape through the windows...(I am an engineer!).

116Benz

Des,

What Styria says makes sense, but also what 116Benz says is true:
I feel that with all windows shut, there is a strong vacuum that 'forces' one to virtually have to slam the doors.

116Benz

If I recall, the 140 series had self closing doors with little motors that 'pulled' the doors shut once it made contact with the lock mechanism on the pillar.

Thats the one, the W124 wagons had the same thing on the tailgate as well.

Parks

I agree with whats been said, its the air pressure plus adjustment that causes it, but I also think its design causes it, but not in a bad way, I think they were designed with a "cushioned effect" so that they didnt "slam" and you didnt feel like the whole car was jarring when the door shuts like the old holdens or fords:rolleyes: get mildly angry with the racket they make:mad:

John S

Wouldn't the through flow ventilation system relieve the pressure caused by shutting the doors? In any of the Concours 116's I have checked the doors always shut beautifully, they gave a quality feel - so I tend to go with Styria's suggesting of adjustment.

OzBenzHead

Master
My daily W116 needs a hefty bang all the way home - on all four doors. The result is a solid "thunk". If one lets go of the handle before the door has properly shut, it will bounce back to the first stop position and require a re-opening and a fresh closing attempt. The weather seals are RS, so it's hardly those getting in the way. Whether sunroof and windows are open or closed makes absolutely no difference other than changing the tone of the "thunk".

The W124 300E that I've driven a lot recently has a similar door-closing style - though the required push is not quite as firm as the above car's. This car's weather seals are in good condition. The doors are harder to close if sunroof and all windows are shut tight.

Der Rolfwagen's (W116) doors - despite being very crusty (with RS weather seals) - close with only a gentle shove (but, as on all my Benzes, must be pushed all the way home, not left to rebound). State of windows makes no difference.

Crusty's (W116) doors - despite the car's being a parts-bin rustbucket of the first order - has doors that close properly with a gentle two-finger push. State of windows makes no difference.

On my '65 Finnie, all four doors shut with the lightest of touches (finger and thumb on the handle and the gentlest push home will do it). Weather seals: RS. State of windows makes no difference.

The very wide doors on my '65 coupe (with a driver's door that has dropped about 1-2 mm) work exactly as those on the Finnie - with weather seals in good condition. State of windows makes no difference.

My Ponton's doors - despite 29 years of inaction - also open easily and close with a very gentle two-finger push. Cannot comment on open/closed windows as sunroof is, for now, permanently "open" (i.e. not fitted).

My W108 had easily-closed doors until I had new weather seals installed after some rust work about a decade ago. Post-new-rubbers the doors are harder to close than on any other of my Benzes. They bounce back with a vengeance if not taken firmly all the way home. State of windows makes no difference.

My overall experience with Benz doors is that they are easy to close with one gentle push all the way home unless new (especially non-genuine) weatherseals have been fitted.

Although I've played around with latch-plate positions on most of my cars, it seems that if a door is inclined to rebound, nothing much will fix it; it seems to be in the nature of individual cars (every door on any car matching its companions).

Even if new and genuine weatherseals have been fitted, they may not have been fitted correctly - as evidenced on my W108 and, I suspect, daily W116.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Mine closed easily except for one that needed to be adjusted so it did. It was always easier to close if the window was slightly ajar so; 1) Yes, adjustment is critical. 2) Positive internal pressure will mean that you can feel resistance with all wondows closed.
The CLK drops its window a fraction when you open it and reseals afer the door is closed to overcome the positive pressure and to ensure the windows fit tightly against each other where the B pillar would be in a sedan.
Regards,
BenzBoy