Colour change question

More threads by GreaseMonkey

G

GreaseMonkey

I am thinking about rerpainting the Crayford wagon in either Pine Green or Cypress Green rather than the original Silver Green.
Part of the reason is that I think the brightwork on the W116s sets off the lines well and this contrast shows better on the darker colours.
Obviously if I go this route, I will have to do under the bonnet and all the hidden parts too and my question is;
in various Mercs I have had or seen, particularly the metallic ones, seem to have the interior parts painted the same colour but not as shiny. Is this because they paint the base colour, but do not bother with the clear top coat?
Just wondered if anyone knows, as I will try to get as close as I can to a factory job.
Thanks chaps.
Chris M.

OzBenzHead

Master
Chris: I've observed the exact same phenomenon in non-metallic non-clearcoat Benz engine bays. I have always assumed it's because those surfaces aren't cut, polished, or finished as the exterior is.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Chris: I've observed the exact same phenomenon in non-metallic non-clearcoat Benz engine bays. I have always assumed it's because those surfaces aren't cut, polished, or finished as the exterior is.

My thougts exactly.
I may go the same route.
C.M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If you paint something in basecoat and not finish it with a clear, the paint will deteriorate over time.

They probably use a 'matting' agent with the clear so as not to show too much shine in the engine bay.

s class

That's what I was thinking Michel. Its disconcerting news nonetheless, as if one is intending a highly accurate restoration, its yet another point to deliberate over.

My red car is highly original and well cared for, and the engine bay paint is really quite matt.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That's what I was thinking Michel. Its disconcerting news nonetheless, as if one is intending a highly accurate restoration, its yet another point to deliberate over.
My red car is highly original and well cared for, and the engine bay paint is really quite matt.

It is common practice with modifed cars that are painted matt colours (flat black is one) to be done as I explained with varying degrees of matting agents.

It's funny, but I was discussing this today with the training manager of PPG in Australia at the SummerNats (huge car show for modified vehicles).

PPG will be releasing a matt (or satin) clear in the next few months

s class

I have used Standox' matting agent with great success, though it is expensive. When I paint the 280's engine bay, it will be full high gloss in the interests of durability - its a daily driver, not a concours contender. Trusty rusty on the other had, now you got me thinking.

Styria

The Godfather
Michel's explanation is the most correct of all. We have noticed on many occasions that Mercedes will use the same exterior colour paint to all areas inside as well, the quality and quantity is certainly open to debate.

Engine Bay wise, I admit to not having noticed the difference between shiny (as in clear top coat) and a matt finish. As Michel says, without the protection of a proper top coat, the paint would deteriorate. If I were to paint an engine bay, a clear top coat would be a MUST. Regards Styria

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

So, it gets interesting.
Is there, or is there not a matting agent used?
And if so, why?
I have noticed this before on my other cars, all internal surfaces are not glossy, under carpets etc.
So, asssuming the cars are maybe painted inside and out with the basecoat, why would M-B use a non-glossy topcoat on some parts when we would assume it would be easier to use the same all over if required?
The paint on my older 280E - Petrol metallic - started to burn off, the bootlid was worse, but the roof and bonnet have started to follow, and where the clear topcoat has gone completely, the matt finish underneath matches exactly the interior finish, in texture if not quite colour, the outer surfaces having faded, leading me to believe there was no clear coat of any sort, matt or otherwise used.
And again, assuming M-B knew what they were doing, maybe there is no reason for these areas to be clear-coated as without exposure to UV why would they deteriorate?
That is my guess anyway.
Someone back at Benz must know the proccesses used, we will dig further.
Keep 'em coming.
Chris M.