Speedo stripes? Dumbest question this week?

More threads by GreaseMonkey

G

GreaseMonkey

Anyone know why there are those yellow diagonal stripes on the speedo between 50 and 60 kph?
Four of my cars have them, but I never thought about what they mean til now, and I am sure M-B would not be putting them there for no reason.
Go on, surprise me.
Chris.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Are they maximum gear change points?
I don't really know so I'm willing to be surprised too.
From the handbook:
"Do not exceed maximum speed in the individual selector lever positions. S corresponds to marking III (450 = II) on the speedometer. Selector lever position L corresponds to marking II (450 = 1)."
Regards,
BenzBoy
EDIT - no, having just looked at the speedo I see that I have not answred yr question at all. All I can say is; buggered if I know ... HELP!!!

Last edited:

s class

The best explanation I've heard is that 50-60km/h is considered the acceptable speed for urban areas in many countries, and the stripes are to make it easier for the driver to see if he is within the speed limit.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

The best explanation I've heard is that 50-60km/h is considered the acceptable speed for urban areas in many countries, and the stripes are to make it easier for the driver to see if he is within the speed limit.

That is the kind of nannying rubbish I do NOT expect from Mercedes.
A labour government maybe, even a greenies Toyota, but not on the best car in the world made for the best drivers like us, surely not!
Chris

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Grease Monkey, S-Class is spot on with his explanation. There is no other reason for those stripes. Regards Styria

TJ 450

My old SAAB 900 had a similar arrangement and that is the best explanation, IMHO.

Tim

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That is the kind of nannying rubbish I do NOT expect from Mercedes.
A labour government maybe, even a greenies Toyota, but not on the best car in the world made for the best drivers like us, surely not!
Chris

GreaseMonkey.....
Not everyone who owns an M-B has had the experience you have...
eg: spannering for the great racers...... going on errands for The Beatles, etc....
Meaning a lot of experience and common sense.:D
So a bit of 'prodding' (from M-B) in telling the average guy (or girl) where the speed limit in town is, would not be too bad.
Forgive them... be gentle...;)

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

also remember that with factory tyres a Mercedes of this period will read 10% faster on the speedometer than the car is actualy doing,
A great feature to keep the speeding fines away, sit on 80 and you are only doing 72,

P1010083.png

Good point Des, except my '84 190E has at some point in it's life acquired a set of later 15inch rims and larger diameter tyres and now reads 5% under.
A useful overdrive and gives me better fuel consumption than the 9litres/100kms it is showing, but I do have to remember to be at least 5% under the speedo reading whenever I see a camera!
Chris

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey.....
Not everyone who owns an M-B has had the experience you have...
eg: spannering for the great racers...... going on errands for The Beatles, etc....
Meaning a lot of experience and common sense.:D
So a bit of 'prodding' (from M-B) in telling the average guy (or girl) where the speed limit in town is, would not be too bad.
Forgive them... be gentle...;)
I am not sure The Beatles ever made a contribution to safer driving, but I get your point.
BTW, I tried a bit of racing Formula Fords in the eighties, I was no good, not only falling off and making mistakes on the limit, but my limit was not even close to competitive speeds so I packed it in - not good enough.
BUT, the tuition I had, and the experience on the track immediately made me a better safer driver on the road, and I think anyone who thinks they like to drive fast would benefit from some good track time.
I also knew a cop who was trained in high speed pursuits, and he showed me how they are trained to 'read' the road and traffic conditions to anticipate all potential hazards.
If the hoons who think it clever to race around in public, spent less on hot goodies for their road car and instead took up racing at club level, they would probably learn a few good lessons too.
Even Karts, sprints, hillclimbs etc, or a few days at a racing school if you can't afford real racing, would get it out of your system, and I for one was happier to be slower, but safer on the road.
Which gives me an idea!!!
How about a track day for the Benz brigade?
I guess we would all be left behind a well driven 6.9 or similar, but any car driven to it's relative limit would be an education.
Chris M.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Well, I'll be - who dragged this dirty looking instrument cluster onto the splendid pages of Topklasse ? :D Go to your corner immediately !

Grease Monkey, you won't get many better 'beat around the bush' answers that his Lordship, the Prince, has handed out to you ! Most eloquent, most...ahem.....

If you want to go one better, on some of the more modern cars you can programme in the speed limit and the moment you exceed it, a little 'beep' draws your attention it. Very impressive for a leadfoot like myself. Regards Styria

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Well, I'll be - who dragged this dirty looking instrument cluster onto the splendid pages of Topklasse ? :D Go to your corner immediately !

Grease Monkey, you won't get many better 'beat around the bush' answers that his Lordship, the Prince, has handed out to you ! Most eloquent, most...ahem.....
Yeah, I know, I'm getting used to it!

My previous comment about track action is a bit off topic, so I have started a new thread to see what comments that gets.

Chris M.

BenzBoy

Grand Master

If you want to go one better, on some of the more modern cars you can programme in the speed limit and the moment you exceed it, a little 'beep' draws your attention it. Very impressive for a leadfoot like myself. Regards Styria

HUH?

Regards,
BenzBoy

TJ 450

BenzBoy & Des, I think Styria was referring to the SAAB instrument cluster as being dirty. ;)

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Surely it was a W123 instrument display, which is still beneath us here at Topklasse - even though I have one too.
Chris M.

TJ 450

Whoops, my mistake... I didn't see it until now. :)
I was thinking more along the lines of a "dirty" versus "clean" design. :eek:
But yes, it could deal with a clean and it is definitely a W116 cluster. :cool:

Tim

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

See, I was getting too tired to remember which is which.
Chris

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Not gear change, those are the little dot marks on the outside which represent maximum speed in each gear, which are irrelevant to me, I just let the auto-box work all that out for me.
Read back through the thread, the stripes I mean are only between 50 and 60.
Chris M.