6.9 Speedo Cable

More threads by WGB

WGB

Is the RHD 6.9 speedo cable different from the 450 cable - I have been told it is a unique cable

I replaced my 450 cable a couple of years ago(Cost $87) due to wild fluctuations in the needle and now it is totally smooth and unfussed but my 6.9 cable is obviously not perfect and there are a few fluctuations in the needle.

The agents want $211 for the cable M-B Spares are quoting $179 and as I will be removing the instruments in the next few weeks to have a 300Km AMG speedo fitted I thought it was a good time to change the cable - I may be miserable but $211 is a little richer than the problem is at the present time and I may just try seeing what I can do with the cable I have because it is not that bad.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Is the RHD 6.9 speedo cable different from the 450 cable - I have been told it is a unique cable

I replaced my 450 cable a couple of years ago(Cost $87) due to wild fluctuations in the needle and now it is totally smooth and unfussed but my 6.9 cable is obviously not perfect and there are a few fluctuations in the needle.

The agents want $211 for the cable M-B Spares are quoting $179 and as I will be removing the instruments in the next few weeks to have a 300Km AMG speedo fitted I thought it was a good time to change the cable - I may be miserable but $211 is a little richer than the problem is at the present time and I may just try seeing what I can do with the cable I have because it is not that bad.

Bill

It's not being miserable, but when you count a couple of hundreds here and another couple there, they add up, especially if the cable could be simply lubricated.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, I see absolutely no reason why there would be any difference between the two cables. Fittings at both gearbox end and the back of the speedo are exactly the same-hell, everything else is the same as well therefore I have come to the conclusion that they are identical. Phew, that took a long time.

Method of fitting is the same as well and is somewhat awkward-not a nice job. The bottom bit from gearbox to the interior of the car is not too bad, but you will have to pull back the left side of the gearbox tunnel . Also, the rubber grommet is quite unique and nothing else will do-it is normally an integral part of the cable.

The fun begins when you have to feed the cable up behind the heater box and onto the speedo. It does help to have an assistant and the idea is to have a long wire feeding through from the speedo end and then pulling the cable through. You're pretty capable and will do it-just a bit awkward and some patience is required. Regards, Styria BTW, I do have a really good complete cable-$60.00 pp if so needed.

OP
WGB

WGB

I have replaced the one on my 450 and the hardest bit was getting it up behind the heater and into the rear of the cluster area which I accomplished by taping one to the other and gently pulling it through.

Styria - I will think about the offer of your second hand speedo cable but will probably have a good look and a ?lubricate of the one I've got for the time being as the outer looks in good nick and it may be salvageable.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
That's fine by me, Bill. You may like to try INOX lubricant. You may know that I have used that product in preference to WD40. It seems to 'stick' better, does not wash off and I have used it on the height adjustment cable (which can be very stiff to operate) with very good success. Regards, Styria

OP
WGB

WGB

That's fine by me, Bill. You may like to try INOX lubricant. You may know that I have used that product in preference to WD40. It seems to 'stick' better, does not wash off and I have used it on the height adjustment cable (which can be very stiff to operate) with very good success. Regards, Styria

I think I will try to lubricate my cable first as the cable outer looks quite reasonable and the fluctuation is relatively minor.

It is a long time since I lubricated a cable and all the old british cars could have the inner pulled out from within the cabin. We used a thin layer of grease and left the last foot or so unlubricated to stop any being sucked into the speedo head.

My questions are

Can the speedo cable be removed by undoing the gearbox end, removing a retaining collet(or some sort of plastic ring) and then pulling the cable out from withing the cab or is using inox under a bit of pressure going to travel down the cable.

I have an old cable around somewhere so I suppose I should study it.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, I am reasonably confident that inserting or squirting Inox from the speedo end will travel down the cable towards the gearbox - the law of gravity should ensure that. I can't remember if I have mentioned it elsewhere (maybe I should read my posts) on TOPKLASSE, but I did use INOX not so long ago on the suspension adjustment cable and it has freed up its operation considerably. Regards, Styria