Gleaming Beauty - Interior Work

More threads by Styria

260ebenz

Master
Update)) A few more photos ... dash will install the following summer, after painting the body

Manual W116 that's a rare sight.

Never seen a manual W116 in Australia I have seen a manual 230E W123 and 240D and 300D W123 never a W116.

Timber veneer repaint work looks good sergeich.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi 260ebenz i have only seen 4 manuel w116 and all of them are 280s models apparently the 350se was available with a maneul as well never seen 1 though out of interest . 3 off the manuel w116 belong to the gentle man i bought goldie from my 6.9 wreck he has over 10 w116 on his hills property :D

300SDude

sergeich77....what are the vent looking things on the bottom right side of the dash under the air vent? I have not seen that before.

300SDude

sergeich77

sergeich77....what are the vent looking things on the bottom right side of the dash under the air vent? I have not seen that before.

300SDude

I do not understand the question .... we are talking about escutcheons?

Attachments

• P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 16
OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Dude, I am just not sure either which part or feature you are referring to. BTW, did anyone realize that those slider panels could still be bought new ? What a find, and we've even got a part number. Just a tiny reason why forums can be so useful. Regards Styria

300SDude

In this picture:

attachment.php

The underside part of the dashboard that is closest to you. It would be just below the wood to the right of the glove box. Does it serve a purpose?

300SDude

300SDude

Very interesting. I had never seen that before. I didn't really look at the top of the dash and notice that there was no speaker grille. I don't know if I would like it or not.

Thanks for explaining. :)

300SDude

Oversize

Grand Master
Dude you'll have to post a pic of yours because I doubt anyone here's seen speaker grilles on the top of the dash. :)

300SDude

Dude you'll have to post a pic of yours because I doubt anyone here's seen speaker grilles on the top of the dash. :)

Mine has a dash cover (plastic) on over the regular dash, so you can't really see the grilles any more, but yes, they are both in the top in each corner. I actually wished I was able to replace the front speakers before the dash cover was installed, for now, you have to rip it off to get to the speakers.

300SDude

300SDude

I took these this morning while I had to do something in that building. Don't mind the messy carpets and junk. I haven't had time to clean it out since I put it in there. Very rarely is ANY of my cars that dirty!

dashright500.jpg

dashleft500.jpg

underdash500.jpg

Yes, that is an ashtray hanging there on the underside of the dash. I know, we shouldn't smoke, but all three of us are smokers. You'll notice that we can't use the front ashtray because it has been taken-out to house the switch and the fuel tank gauge for the veggie tank in the trunk. My partner is manufacturing a wood piece to go over it to look more like the wood that is already in the car. It's kinda ugly being the brushed stainless at the moment.

You'll notice that the dash cover is black. I will eventually replace it with a blue one, ($100 more) since I really want to change the speakers in the whole car, and with this cover on, you cannot get to the grilles that the speakers have. The cover just has holes in it to allow the sound to come through.

I HATE the a/c system controls in this car and would love to change them to the European one. Does the European controller require the air sensor mounted in the center of the top of my dash? Just wondering since I can order the dash cover with or without the hole for it. (Mine has it).

I would love to redo all the wood in my dash, but you guys scare me when you have the whole thing out. :eek: (I am sure it has to be out to get to the piece around the steering wheel and stuff). Not going to try that venture quite yet!

Also, I have been debating........I have extra fabric left-over from re-doing the seats and am thinking about doing the inner door panels in it to match the seats more. Not real sure what a chore that would be, but I have seen pictures of other 116's that have fabric inserts. As like this one:

98734-DSC08982.jpg

Any thoughts on how hard it would be?

300SDude

WiSeGuYY

Hey DUDE

i couldn't help it ,is your car is the one equiped with the partition??

never saw it in real life so it is rare bread.

REGARDS

TAREK

300SDude

Hey DUDE

i couldn't help it ,is your car is the one equiped with the partition??

never saw it in real life so it is rare bread.

REGARDS

TAREK

No, that is not mine. It was just the quickest picture I happened to have with fabric on the inner door panel. :)

300SDude

Oversize

Grand Master
I like the holes in the dash pad for the speakers and if you ever pull out your dash I'd be interested in some pics of the speaker mounts. Is that a factory option??

300SDude

I like the holes in the dash pad for the speakers and if you ever pull out your dash I'd be interested in some pics of the speaker mounts. Is that a factory option??

I don't ever remember seeing any of them below the dash like yours is. That's why initially asked what it was, for I had never seen it before. I have looked at a lot of Mercedes, and don't ever recall seeing them mounted where yours are. But then, I don't think I have EVER seen a manual 116! Occasionally I will run across manual's every now and then, but never in a 116 or 126. LOTS in 123's (the taxi Mercedes I call it).:p

Vaguely, when I remember looking at the grilles through the window, I couldn't see any screws that you get to from the top. (If there were, I was wondering if it would be easier to get to if you took the window out, lol). Possibly the inside, underneath? But it did look like the grilles did pop-off somehow and were a separate piece from the rest of the padded dash.

300SDude

sergeich77

Greetings, long time did not write anything. Recently decided to add an interior compartment between the seats. Box is made independently

Attachments

• P1010027.jpg
    P1010027.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010029.jpg
    P1010029.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 10
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg