New interior wood for Six 3.

More threads by abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
The reason I bought the W108 280SEL mentioned in another thread was for the interior wood.

Thankfully it proved to be sound and in great condition, it will need refinishing of course but there is no delaminating or chips in the veneer.

I have started 0000 steel wooling the dash bow in the centre, the rest is as it came out of the car after 40 years untouched.
DSC00372.jpg
This pic shows the contrast between the parts exposed to the sun and those hidden by other trim parts
DSC00373.jpg
The 2 long curved parts in the middle are the sought after LWB rear window wood trims.
DSC00374.jpg
A close up of the colour difference from the sun
DSC00377.jpg
The rest of the window surrounds, except for 3rd from the right, this piece runs under the glove box lid and ash tray and is often missing on "restored" cars, you can see from the fading of the varnish how little of it is visable when covered by other trim
DSC00375.jpg

Now to learn a bit about refinishing veneer

E200K

Sounds like an interesting project. Can't wait to see the results.

John S

I believe that Mercedes use a cold epoxy coating on the veneer, but on my Jaguar (years ago) I stripped the veneer down, stained to the correct colour, then used about 10 coats of 'French Polish', finally coating it with Estapol for UV protection. Looked good, but probably a bit shiny for a Mercedes.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi abl567, don't know where I've been, don't know what I've done BUT, I have never seen this post ! Believe it or not !

Now that I have seen it and read what's been written in it, any chance of bringing us up to date or are you busy preparing yourself for Lord of the Manor at East Kurrajong ? Regards Styria

OP
abl567

abl567

Super Moderator
Hi Styria,
You hit the nail on the head with your last question, tomorrow is open home at Baulkham Hills so Karen and I have been cleaning at the sort of rate that Six 3 slurps fuel:p
My garage is all packed up and stored at Seven Hills, we have two spare offices at work full of boxes of stuff and finally we are ready for sale.

The wood is among the stuff at work, before I packed it away I had 4 of the 17 pieces prepared for stain with 0000 steel wool, the smallest 4...

I leave for Lodefest 2009 (The M-100 Group Meet) at the end of May so it will be after that, the move and the ride on races before progress is made.

The wood as it is? you refinished it so of course it is fine:D:D:D

mycar450slc

Connoisseur
Hi Six 3 (and All), I am new to this forum, just joined today but have been reading your interesting posts. I am very impressed with your wood trim restoration, my 450SLC 1980 needs one (and others too)after I get it roadworthy hopefully this week. Thanks and will be learning and be inspired by your restoration.

Best regards/mycar450slc

Styria

The Godfather
Almost two years have gone by and I am thinking that an update may perhaps be appropriate......no ? It's amazing what the computer lets you discover from time to time. I sort of can't work out why at times a 'newie' is all gung-ho with a post, or posts, and then all of a sudden they disappear as if the light is switched off. Ah well.......Regards Styria