the making of a leather interior

More threads by Parks

Parks

Hi everybody,

I know this topic is probably in the wrong section and its not a Merc, but I thought I would put this on so that people can see what it takes to make an interior of a car, and I put it here so that other members can reply and discuss, and it also brings another dimension to the forum........

Ok, so this car is a late 60s Lancia, and im going to show you step by step what is involved in making an interior......

This is the car, and this is how it came to me

15122009097.jpg

15122009096.jpg

This is how the seats came to me, just frames

04012010139.jpg

15122009105.jpg

and just a pic of the floor, quite a difficult floor to do due to a very oddly shaped floor pan

15122009103.jpg

The way the seats were originally designed made it quite difficult to get a really good fit of the leather cover, so some mods had to be made.....
In the pic below you will see ive cut timber out and screwed it to the inside of the metal frame, this is so I have something to staple to instead of having to glue the cover into place which is highly time consuming and you will get a poor fit and by also screwing the timber on it allows me to staple the white backing board in place also.....

08012010146.jpg

08012010145.jpg

next job was to make the new back foam, I used Dunlop Enduro foam which is the best you can buy, I had an original seat to go off so I templated its shape, then traced it onto the new foam to get the new outline

11012010153.jpg

this pic is just showing the thickness of the new foam, I used the yellow foam as a firm base then the pink cos it was a bit softer

11012010151.jpg

and showing the new foam basically finished

11012010154.jpg

this is the spring base seat with new hessian sewn in

05012010141.jpg

the new seats foamed up and ready to go, I use a drill with a very rough sanding disc on the end to shape the foam to how I want it...

Copyof12012010161.jpg

the seat, back being sewn up, I had the piping shaved to make it thinner, a thinner piping is easier to sew up and also looks better

15012010004.jpg

20012010013.jpg

this pic just shows how the border is stapled off and the centre section has been inserted also, a lot of working of the leather is required so that no wrinkles can be seen when the outside back goes on

25012010029.jpg

finished product after some 80hrs

25012010030.jpg

22012010024.jpg

22012010026.jpg

The making of the rear compartment

this is showing the rear wheel arches being covered in leather

01022010043.jpg

and here im preparing the floor for German Velour carpet, this was quite difficult, the floor pan was a terrible shape, so with some foam and felt here and there I was able to get a smooth flowing surface so there would be no kinks in the carpet

04022010045.jpg

the rear compartment completed

05022010049.jpg

and the front floor carpeted, I bound the carpet with a vinyl binding with a blind stitch so you dont see the sewing, I then glued a 5mm layer of rubber to the underside of the carpet so that it will always stay flat and stiff so it never gathers up, and some blind press studs were used to keep the carpet in place

16022010089.jpg

and the car completed

10022010077.jpg

16022010098.jpg

16022010106.jpg

16022010091.jpg

10022010070.jpg

If you have any questions please feel free to ask

regards Brent

260ebenz

Master
Brent brilliant post!

Wonderful leather interior a true credit to you.

By the way will you be at this years MBCNSW Concours?

I would like to talk to you as I have a much unwanted mark on the back left hand passenger seat in my 260E if you could please have a look at it and let me know if could be repaired.

Cheers Tim.

Last edited:
OP
Parks

Parks

Brent brilliant post!

Wonderful leather interior a true credit to you.

By the way will you be at this years MBCNSW Concours?

I would like to talk to you as I have a much unwanted mark on the back left hand passenger seat in my 260E if you could please have a look at it and let me know if could be repaired.

Cheers Tim.

Cheers Tim, yeah I will be there and I will have a look for you no problem at all
regards Brent

260ebenz

Master
Brent posted a photo of the mark on the l/hand passenger via the MBCNSW for you to see.

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You never cease to amaze me Master Brent!

This is stunning and to be expected from you as I know your capabilities.

Thank you for the post. It is simply enlightening!

OP
Parks

Parks

Thanks fellas, let me assure you it took every bit of my knowledge to pull this one off.....:rolleyes:

but please any questions? its here for discussion

450SE

Parks -
That is absolutely STUNNING! Amazing workmanship there.
From start to finish, how long did it all take? I noticed you mentioned 80 hours, but I thought that may have been just for the two seats...?

OP
Parks

Parks

Parks -
That is absolutely STUNNING! Amazing workmanship there.
From start to finish, how long did it all take? I noticed you mentioned 80 hours, but I thought that may have been just for the two seats...?

cheers mate, yeah you are correct it did take about 80hrs just for the 2 front seats, all up it took around a 160hrs :eek:, but that didnt include the dash or roof lining, it was a huge job for a 2 seater car and by the end I was mentaly stuffed because of all of the detail and doing a job like that is like a chess game , you have to think three moves ahead :rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
cheers mate, yeah you are correct it did take about 80hrs just for the 2 front seats, all up it took around a 160hrs :eek:, but that didnt include the dash or roof lining, it was a huge job for a 2 seater car and by the end I was mentaly stuffed because of all of the detail and doing a job like that is like a chess game , you have to think three moves ahead :rolleyes:

As long as the owner was generous..... ;)

hoddo

Connoisseur
Great post Brent , and beautifull result. Did you have pics of the original interior to follow or is it custom? When I see those seat frames, then the finished seat, I think of the guys that take a skeleton of some long lost animal and somehow work out what it looked like

OP
Parks

Parks

Hey Hoddo,

Its an original interior, I had some photos to go by and some very old deteriorated patterns, but I also had an original back that had never been used, which gave me a perfect template to replocate the new foam but generally most of the time all I need is a sniff of what something looks like to be able to remake it, it just comes back to experience........

Styria

The Godfather
I am glad that Parks decided to share pictures of this job with us. It would have been a travesty not to have done so. There is also another job that he carried out for the same owner on a soft top Allemano Fiat 750. Very pretty little car, but the work was just as difficult, especially as it needed a new soft top. How do I know about the difficulty ? I was there listening to his cursing and expressions of frustration.

Getting back to the Lancia Flaminia - probably about thirty years ago I was offered the Berlina (Sedan) version for $3000.00, in exactly the same dark blue livery. I decided against purchase as it was not a cheap car at the time, and it also had a badly slipping clutch. Plus, I knew just so little about the V6 engine with bearbox and diff. as one transaxle unit at the rear, with inboard rear brakes and De Dion rear suspension. This was back in the late sixties and it was certainly a very advanced car mechanically. It did drive beautifully, with that torquey six cylinder engine. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
To extend the scope of this post, I am attaching some photos of another Lancia Flaminia that I spotted at Eastern Creek 2010 - in other words, the weekend just gone. As it so happens, Parks was given some pictures by the owner of the dark blue Flaminia featured in this post, and we think it is this white car that supplied the photos for Parks' guidance.

EasternCreek2010049-1.jpg

EasternCreek2010046-1.jpg

EasternCreek2010048-1.jpg

It appears patently clear that the upholstery in this car is original, but nevertheless it makes for an interesting comparison with the finished product illustrated in this instance. BTW, you will note that there are variances of shade in the caramel or tan used by Parks - let me assure you it is the darker of the two (somewhat richer in colour) that is closest to the natural colour. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Parks has since long moved on from that Lancia Flaminia job. He is now located at Galston, and has been responsible for some absolutely fantastic work. In the latest issue of the magazine Street Machine, there are a wide bodied Monaro said to be worth about a million, and also another Monaro (an earlier model), also totally restored to a 1000degree standard. There were about 250 exhibits at the recent Rosehill Racecourse Show, and the two Monaros'Interiors were both crafted by Parks and were awarded 1st and 2nd respectively. The wide bodied was best of Show, but the Green earlier model, was voted 1st with its interior. About two months ago, as part of a "WORLD WIDE" competition for Interiors, Parks received first price- world wide. He is no longer a trimmer - he has become virtually an Interior Car designer. I will have to dig out some photos. BTW, he and examples of his work can be found on Instagram. Regards Styria