R107 interior retrimming

More threads by s class

s class

I'm hoping Parks has some comments here -

I'm assisting a friend in the process of re-trimming his R107 450SL 1979.

He is wanting to buy the pre-cut-and-stitched GAHH leather seat covers. Is there any difference between the requirements of our RHD cars and the LHD US market for which GAHH presumably manufacture?

He also wants to recarpet the car with GAHH supplies. Again, what is the position with RHD - do the GAHH carpets come with the driver's side heel pad bonded in?

For carpetting there appear to be 2 choices :

a) buy the complete pre-cut kit
b) buy only the precut mats, and then raw yardage to do the sills, transimssion tunnel etc.

b) appears cheaper - any comments on this?

The 107's (like the 116's) have the carpet bonded to the central console - how does one separate the old carpet from the console, and how is the new stuff attached?

The same guy also wants to recarpet is W123 300D, and the same questions and concerns around the carpets apply.

Any help appreciated.

Parks

Hi Sclass, yeah I can answer those questions...

1. from what I can remember there is no difference in the covers between right and left hand drive car, but the only thing I would recommend is when you place the order RING them dont order over the net, and speak to a guy named Jack and tell them what type of car steering etc, they are very experienced and up with it regarding what things need to be sent to what part of the world so rest easy on that accout.

2. yes again they are aware of the right , left situation of the car regarding the heal mat etc.

3. I would recommend buying the carpet all sewn up and ready to go including the sills and console, could be cheaper but then you have to get someone to mark out those other pieces and then cut and sew aswell so could actually work out more expensive.

4. and lastly the console carpet.........what you do is...leave the old carpet as is cos its impossible to separate this from the moulded foam, if you try and pull it off the surface will be left all lumpy so just leave it where it is, it does no harm by keeping it there....
The next step I do is get a sharp stanley knife, or razor blade and carefully slice under the edge of the moulded vinyl about half an inch in along the whole length of the console, you then spray adhesive to both the surfaces and tuck the new carpet under that half inch slice that you have created.
****TIP**** do a trial fitting before glueing and make some reference aligning marks so you dont attach the piece to the wrong spot, and another tip, when ordering the carpet, ask for the console carpet to be "BACKLESS" so its not as thick and easier to work with.

I hope that has answered your questions Ryan, if you need to ask more please feel free.....regards Brent

OP
s class

s class

Parks, thanks for your help.

I just want to make sure I correctly understand the issues around the console - so what you are saying is that you leave the existing carpet entirely as it is, except for a narrow strip along the vinyl at the top, where you trim into the carpet just enough to work the new carpet under the vinyl? And obviously the backless stuff helps because its thinner?.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi S-Class, I'll be seeing Parks today and I'll discuss a couple of points with him that you may wish to take on board. One refers to the console carpet, another to the heel mat, and last but not least, you may wish to consider letting us order the carpet for you.

As previously advertised by us, we are able to offer a genuine 15% off retail if we place the order. As far as the heel mat is concerned, are you able to 'save' the original and, if so, would you have someone that could sew it into the new carpet for you ? That's my preferable option if possible. Regards Styria

Parks

Parks, thanks for your help.

I just want to make sure I correctly understand the issues around the console - so what you are saying is that you leave the existing carpet entirely as it is, except for a narrow strip along the vinyl at the top, where you trim into the carpet just enough to work the new carpet under the vinyl? And obviously the backless stuff helps because its thinner?.

Hi Ryan, yeah so you leave the old carpet in place completely no trimming no nothing, you then slice where the vinyl meets the carpet, so your basically slicing up underneath behind the vinyl bout half inch and I guess on top of the carpet, you are slicing it half inch so you can tuck the new carpet underneath the lip of the vinyl.....and yeah backless carpet so its less bulky ....if you need me to send you a photo I can to illustrate what I mean if that would help?

OP
s class

s class

Parks, I don't expect you to give away your secrets, but yeah, photos are always helpful.

Another thing that has occurred to me - how does one separate the moulded foam underlays from the 4 carpets?

WGB

In answer to your original question Sclass - the seat covers I received did not have any cutouts for armrests or headrests and so were not "sided" as such.

Where you may have an issue is that the armrest on an SA manufactured car is on the drivers seat on a RHD car while German manufactured cars had it on the passenger seat i.e. the original LHD driver's seat.

In the case the armrest will presumably be a Mirror image and the correct one will be required.

I assume no 107's were made in SA so this will not be an issue.

Bill

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Parks, I don't expect you to give away your secrets, but yeah, photos are always helpful.

Another thing that has occurred to me - how does one separate the moulded foam underlays from the 4 carpets?

Hi S-Class, with prepsol and a lot of patience - don't be tempted by tugging away at it prematurely - plenty of the stuff and plenty of patience. If you use both, you will be amply rewarded. Just as an opinion on my part - I really think that the original moulded padding can make all the difference between a good job, and a great restoration result. Regards Styria

Parks

Hi Ryan, Im not giving any secrets away im just here to help in any way possible, with the removing the moulded foam, as styria said it takes patience, you need to really pull them apart close to where they are joined little bit by little bit, dont try to just get the two parts and ''rip" cos it wont work......slow and steady wins the race:D

B

BAR

From my own experiences and knowing that Parkes is in Australia and you can reach him during business hours, and that there is a strong reputation to protect... It is the best way by far to order the new materials (leather and carpets) from him.

He has done this many times before and has an existing relationship with the suppliers that they don't want to stuff up.

The long and short is, his experience and knowledge translates to better price and service to you.

Buy from him and if you can afford to, let him do the work.

OP
s class

s class

BAR, thanks for the input. I would prefer to have parks do the work, but the car is in South Africa.

Anyhow, the R107 project is on hold, because the owner is now restoring his W123 300D instead (why???). Anyhow, he now wants carpets for the W123, so the same issues and questions raised in my original posting are still relevant. FWIW, the car is 624 "gelb". I've just started stripping it down for repainting. It should look quite stunning (if you like bright yellow).

Parks

BAR, thanks for the input. I would prefer to have parks do the work, but the car is in South Africa.

I would have to charge you a call out fee Ryan :D lets hope I dont have to pop back in to do some adjustments :eek: