Happy 50th Birthday R107

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
In April 1971, production of the all-new Mercedes-Benz R107 SL began, a car that would go on to become an automotive icon, a status symbol, a car of inspiration and the poster child of an entire generation. Loved by the rich and famous, the R107 SL would remain in production and in demand for a full 18 years. The final R107 SL rolled off the production line in 1989, almost two decades since the graceful shape first arrived in showrooms.
2021 is an important year for the R107, marking 50 years since the very first cars were built.

This is my contribution to the cause:
A 1985 500SL that was sent from the Mercedes factory to AMG's Affalterbach workshop to be modified and then shipped to an awaiting client in Japan.
I acquired this low mileage (67165kms) in August 2010 sight unseen from Queensland.
The way you see it is the way it's been modified.

Michels 500SL AMG-107.jpg
Happy 50th Birthday R107

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Very interesting Michel.
You are spot on, I had posters of the R107 & Farah Fawcett Majors in my room.

A great read mate.
Do you still have this car?

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Very interesting Michel.
You are spot on, I had posters of the R107 & Farah Fawcett Majors in my room.

A great read mate.
Do you still have this car?
Of course....
That is my superannuation ;)

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
We had a photo shoot yesterday organised by the Mercedes-Benz Club of NSW.
4A9C4F6C-8CCC-4BC7-856E-029EB079BED2.jpeg

Patrick_R

Grand Master
Wow,
What a truely amazing image Michel.

Simply stunning.

I hope there is time lapse video of bumping them all into place?

What camera was used please Michel?

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Sadly no time lapse, but it took a few hours to set them in place.
This picture was taken by yours truly with a humble iPhone XS Max, but the one that we will receive in about a week was taken with a NIKON D7200.
The photographer was also doing night light phography and the actual photo shoot took a little more than 2 hours.
He reckons the final computer work through Photoshop will take him the best part of 10 days!
I will post the final shot, which will be soooo much more advanced and detailed than mine.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I was told the other night that the MBCNSW aims to drive 107 C and R107s over the harbour bridge in a long line in November. If they can rustle up that many, should be an impressive sight.

Patrick_R

Grand Master
A mate of mine Dennis who used to be the MB club president has a petrol green 560SL.
I was lucky enough to have a good look at it at his place a couple of years ago.

I’d love to buy that amazing car from him one day.

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Here’s the final image.
I had to reduce it as it was huge!
Enjoy31FD7CB5-62BE-43E8-B153-0C073F7B9054.jpeg

abl567

Super Moderator
If anyone wants an A1 size (594mm x 841mm) print on self adhesive vinyl sign material just let me know. I have a Roland SG300 wide format printer and the media, just need the high res file to print from.
The size is flexible, I can print up too 700mm wide and any length. The media I have is matt, not glossy, but the inks used provide a result best described as satin.
A slap on the back in return will be considered adequate. :)

OP
Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If anyone wants an A1 size (594mm x 841mm) print on self adhesive vinyl sign material just let me know. I have a Roland SG300 wide format printer and the media, just need the high res file to print from.
The size is flexible, I can print up too 700mm wide and any length. The media I have is matt, not glossy, but the inks used provide a result best described as satin.
I have the original 18mb file (8256px X 5504px) available for anyone to use.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
That sounds interesting! Thanks. I always wanted to do something like that for my 250SE to take to car shows with a photo and a few stats.
What sort of resolution would you need?

abl567

Super Moderator
300dpi at actual size is ideal, but down to 200dpi is fine for this application. I do have imaging processing software that can put lipstick on a turd but it's best to avoid.
Email me some images and I'll run some test prints.

Styria

The Godfather
It's a great picture of some beautiful cars. Very collectable. Regards. Styria