Gleaming Beauty - 6.9 General Work

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Slowly and surely, I have reached the finishing straight in the re-spraying and re-furbishing process on Gleaming Beauty. Of course, it is imperative that I thank Michel for helping out transport wise whilst Gleaming Beauty has, and continues, to be in 'hospital', and I also need to thank Jerry, his body man, for the excellent work he has carried out.

Perhaps unfortunately, I tend to go overboard when undertaking major work, and this time has been no exception. I just think that it is time and effort well spent, as well as money although not necessarily so. It doesn't take long to get out of hand. Also forget my cost - it is simply not possible to keep accurate track of time, and how well it has been spent.

So, what has been done ? Obviously, a complete 2-pack respray in duo tone colour - exterior wise. Also all four doors removed and replaced with rust free units, plus all interior and door jamb panels have been repainted, and all of that exterior work has been detailed in other sections of the forum. Okay, what else ? Let's look at it numerically:

1. Paint engine bay in 877 Petrol to cover the original Taxi White.
2. Scrub inside of bonnet and glue new bonnet padding into place.
3. Dismantle front and rear bumper bars, clean and paint supporting bars and
and brackets, paint insides of front and rear bars.
4. Fit rebuilt front suspension valve - Serviced by myself
5. R & R cooling radiator, have serviced and refit. (Marayong Radiators - $140.00
6. New drive belts and new heater hoses - Courtesy Anthony (abl567)
7. Fresh Oil and Filter - Castrol Magnetite - 12 liters
8. Two new Alloy rims and four new tyres - Nankang 2.35 by 45.18 - Cost of tyres $135.00 each, two rims $350.00 (very cheap)
9. Four replacement doors that I had on hand - rust free and treated against future rust. $150.00 each
10. Thoroughly clean, paint & POR 15 spare wheel compartment.

That's about all I can readily think of at the moment. The cost of my time cannot really be measured in money terms. I am quite sure that I will never get that back, but then again that's not the purpose of the exercise. All that remains now (major work) is for the front suspension to be rebuilt. I now have pre-requisite sealing kits for the struts which will enable me to rebuild those. I have already replaced the two leaky rear ones, and so far so good. All that remains now is to approach Shannons to increase the Insured value to roughly about $22K. to $24K. on the basis of inspection and evaluation. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well done Godfather.

From what I saw last week, GB is coming along very nicely.
It is a nice looking car and the two-tone paint has turned out very nice.:D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well done Godfather.

From what I saw last week, GB is coming along very nicely.
It is a nice looking car and the two-tone paint has turned out very nice.:D

Yes Michel, the longer I look at Gleaming Beauty, the more I like the two tone arrangement. To be perfectly honest, I could have done better colour wise in some respects, but even if I had chosen a different combination, there'd always be another combination that might look better. I guess the real test will come when Gleaming Beauty is back on driving duty. Regards Styria

Tony66_au

Nice work Styria, she is coming up a treat!

Green is one of "those" colours I think that grows on you and ive had 8 or so Green cars in the past that did just that.

I wasn't 100% on the Green 450 initially but a while later Im really liking that colour with the shape of the W116's.

I also think that the 2 tone is a great effect and the photos don't (I suspect) do it justice.

Cheers,
Tony