6.9 ID plate - Gleaming Beauty.

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi all you learned people out there, seeking some help in deciphering details on the ID plate attached to the Radiator Support panel of my 'Gleaming Beauty'.

1 85 8533925 80
116 036 22 00044 6
623H 0
511 531 550 592 877

I have seen several listings of option codes etc., but presently cannot recall where. Hoping someone can help. Regards Styria

Lukas

Hi Styria,

Option codes:

511 - One of:
BECKER RADIO CASSETTE STEREO MW/USW
BECKER RADIO MEXICO CASSETTE FULL STEREO
BECKER RADIO MONZA CASSETTE STEREO LW/MW/SW/USW

531 - AUTOMATIC ANTENNA

550 - TRAILER COUPLING

592 - One of:
HEAT-INSULATING GLASS, ALL-AROUND, HEATED REAR WINDOW PANE (LAMINATED GLASS), BAND FILTER
GREEN HEAT-INSULATING GLASS ALL ROUND, HEATED REAR WINDOW, LAMINATED SAFETY GLASS - TINTED STRIP

877 - READING LAMP IN THE REAR

410 - ELECTRIC SLIDING ROOF

Colour = 623H = Light Ivory, from Dr. Herbert's paint company

On the second line:
116 means 116
036 means 6.9 I think
22 means RHD, auto, made in Germany

I had a source for more option plade codes number breakdown, but can't find it any more.

Lukas

WGB

I think the 85 in the top line is the country code (Looked and can't find an 85 but 853 is Macao) for where it was first delivered - or at least where the order came from.

From memory you said the car came from somewhere in Africa.

Have you e-mailed away for your data card?

Bill

Last edited:
B

BAR

Hi STyria

Your beauty seems to have made a round the world trip before arriving in AUstralia. ALong the way it got dunked into a paint Vat!

Hope you resolve the dilemma.

Martin280S - would be nice to have the codes posted in the fourm for all to review their own vehicles provenance.

Martin280s

Martin280S - would be nice to have the codes posted in the fourm for all to review their own vehicles provenance.

If you send me a PM to mjmurray@ig.com.br I'll send you a copy of the list.

BTW, that goes for everyone.

Oversize

Grand Master
Thought I’d revive this old thread & ask for an update on the car! Seems like many old threads no longer have pix attached so perhaps some current pix might be in order?? Styria are you still using GB as your Sunday car?

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Hi all you learned people out there, seeking some help in deciphering details on the ID plate attached to the Radiator Support panel of my 'Gleaming Beauty'.

1 85 8533925 80
116 036 22 00044 6
623H 0
511 531 550 592 877

I have seen several listings of option codes etc., but presently cannot recall where. Hoping someone can help. Regards Styria
The 6 that I have bolded means the car was ordered in Africa. For reference:

2, 3 Germany
4 NATO, Tourists, Diplomats
5 Europe except Germany
6 Africa
7 America
8 Asia
9 Australia

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Some of that information is quite exceptional. When I bought GB from Thompson Performance Cars on Parramatta Road, Burwood, the only information I was provided with, or found, that it had belonged to the wife of a Turkish guy by the name of Ergas - well, with that name it had to be Turkish, right ? Right. I don't know how, but I did manage to find and contact said gentleman and he told me that he had the car resprayed in a quite striking Midnight Blue. He was also kind enough to tell me that he had disposed of all documentation relating to the car as he had traded it with that dealer, and felt that it would be of no use to anyone !

He confirmed that the car's colour was "Taxi White" and that it had been sold, when new, to presumably someone that was a member of a diplomatic corps in Kenya. Bill's quoted number of "6" obviously confirms its original destination to be Africa. All good so far. BTW, I paid $10,750 for the car, $5K. down from the advertised price. It was quite obvious that the dealer was frightened of the car. Me - no, why would I have been as at the time I had no idea what the hydraulic suspension was all about. I do today plus, at the time, there were a couple of other 6.9s advertised in the Sydney Morning Herald, with one of them being as high as $39K. Once I knew a bit about the market, I just had to have the car - it took me about four days to decide in its favour - just as well I got in early enough as some little while down the track, I had a telephone conversation with a person that had been a buyer but missed out as I had just bought the car. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Oversize, you pose an interesting question. During the last two years, I have hardly used Gleaming Beauty. One of the reasons related to Air Pressure Cells that were in need of replacement, and the other reason related to its use as a "suspension mule" checking various suspension components sent to me to check and rebuild for other 6.9 owners. so, that's been the situation for a couple of years, but the car has always been mobile in that time except for the fact that the AP Cells had to be replaced. I am quite sure that we have started and shut off the engine probably God knows how many times during testing of components, and not once has the car fouled a plug, nor has it ever been difficult to start. Even longish lay-offs, the turn of the key would result in that really healthy burble as a result of that straight through end muffler that I had fitted by Merrylands Exhaust Centre. A great investment at $450 to supply and fit, and that included flanging the system as had been modified previously. It makes a sound good enough for me to think that I could take on any 6.9, especially the Australian Complied units. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
But wait, there is more. Some two months ago, maybe three, I decided to replace all of the Front Pressure Cells. They cost a packet (and a half), but I wanted to replace all three. Once the job was done, I turned the key to start and expected the car to raise - it did not, and no amount of fiddling (not too much) and grunting, produced the result I was hoping for. It should be pointed out to test the car requires the suspension to be under pressure - in other words, wheels on the ground but, if the system does not work, having the wheels on the ground will create many difficulties, including the fact that you cannot remove the floor jack, and also the back suspension will invariably drop unevenly, resulting in the car to actually want to move on its own accord. Quite scary. The only way to achieve a static suspension setting is to place solid jacks under each hub, and let them take the full weight of the car, whether in collapsed condition, or fully operational - with the system in p[roper working condition.

Anyway the suspension did not function, and we decided, after checking, that the problem had to be a faulty strut. With engine running and the Oil Pressure Pump working (you can hear it) continuously, the car did not raise - in fact, the pump did not stop pumping, and we felt that the fluid was being pumped into the strut and from there, presumably, straight back to the Oil Reservoir. It was all too much at the time, and I just walked away from Gleaming Beauty - she was parked in an awkward position, but I really couldn't care less at the time. Eventually, of course, it would have to get to me, and so it did earlier this week - after some months. Regards Styria