Gleaming Beauty "burning"

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Well, that's what Parks sang out when I was attending to an engine sump crack - trying to fix it on my 6.3. You've never seen me move so quick as I took off a thick 'doonah' (spelt correctly ?) to protect the interior from the harsh sun we experienced on Moday - we are not talking about Tuesday (yesterday) - something like about forty degrees centigrade - boy, was it hot.

Anyway, I mustn't digress. I quickly checked that the ignition was 'off' (good), yet there was a hissing noise, and the smell of smoke emanating from below the battery. First thing I did was to very, very quickly disconnect the battery terminals. Phew, at least that possible source was eliminated from causing possibly further damage. I then removed the battrey and tray to discover that the hose from the Reservoir to the bottom of the radiator tank was making 'that noise'. I then discovered that the top hose clip was loose - now, I have not touched that area of the car for at least two months. Why would it lose water after all that time ? Why didn't I lose water prior to now ? Very peculiar. I mean, even the whole thing hissing about an hour after I had been on a 15 kms trip was quite strange. Just can't work it out.

So I removed the hose completely, cleaned it up and examined for any fractures or tears or splits. Could not find any trace of any problems and simply refitted the hose, but this time ensuring that the top hose clip was done up properly. So far, after a 30 kms trip home these appear to be no water loss/high temperature issues. Regards Styria

TJ 450

What a coincidence, last night I had a nightmare about overheating my 6.9 and I have just changed the coolant, expansion tank and flushed the system several times.

It sounds like the system pressure may have increased considerably after the hot soak.

Hose clamps do seem to loosen every now and then... I usually check them every time I go out on a reasonable length trip and at every service.

Tim

WGB

The weather in Sydney must be warming up and as TJ says with the hot soak the car heated up and pressurised the system enough to break the seal on the hose.

I'm always happy with potential disasters occur in my shed and in slow motion.

Bill

John S

The system has a pressure relief cap so that the hose can never be 'over-pressurised', the excess pressure forces coolant into the header tank and sucks it back as the system cools.

Sounds as though the combination of heat and time and nature of rubber allowed the hose to ease itself a bit, making the hose clip loose the tension it once placed on the hose.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I am glad you guys have come up with some possible explanations - I personally couldn't find any. But, then again, what's new about that ? :mad: Regards Styria

TJ 450

The system has a pressure relief cap so that the hose can never be 'over-pressurised', the excess pressure forces coolant into the header tank and sucks it back as the system cools.

Sounds as though the combination of heat and time and nature of rubber allowed the hose to ease itself a bit, making the hose clip loose the tension it once placed on the hose.
Hi John S,

I don't think it was suggested that the system was "over-pressurised", rather that the pressure rose to the point that it potentially highlighted a fault with the hose connection, and that pressure did not exceed that of the cap valve rating.

In any case, it's good to hear that a potential disaster was averted.

Tim

SELfor50

Damn.. did parks take it for a drive while you were working on the 6.3? (which, I don't think you've ever really spoken about)
If so, then there's the source of your overheating.. :p

Seriously though, good to hear disaster was averted. I'm never a fan of a hot engine that's loosing fluid. :(

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I leave for a few days and ..... disaster is waiting to happen???

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi SELfour50, the engine never ran hot - I had only travelled eight kilometers each way, with at least a ten minute break ion between the two trips. GleamingBeauty never made any hissing noises for at least half an hour (if not more) after I had come back. Really, it was quite eerie and that's the reason we both got a shock - having been such a lengthy period after my return.

Michel, it's good to hear from you - obviously BenzBoy has missed you - you must promise me that you will let him know at future times if you're going overseas again. It's quite distressing. :) Regards Styria - BTW, are you winning in Vegas ? Surely the odd dollar has got to be changing hands.

N.B. Apologies. The Moderator at work again !